“Holiday Inn Express East Chillicothe is great except for one quirk”

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Chillicothe
Dayton, Ohio
“Holiday Inn Express East Chillicothe is great except for one quirk”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

The Holiday Inn Express in East Chillicothe is great except for one quirk.

It was very clean and quieter than most hotels.

The breakfast buffet was awesome. It included omelets and real Chobani yogurt.

The one quirk is that the Bemis brand toilet clogged easily. When I reported the problem to the front desk clerk, she sent up a staff member with a plunger. He handed the plunger to me and left. I'm perfectly willing to do my own plumbing, and did so succesfully, but I was surprised that he didn't even offer to unclog the toilet for me.

I would've rated this hotel at five stars, instead of four, if not for the one quirk

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
DeeJay H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chillicothe East, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear KetteringTraveler,

Thank you so much for your review. I am glad to hear you had a great stay with us. I'm really sorry to hear about the service you experienced. Just handing over a plunger is not the way we do things here. Thank you for bringing that to my attention. I will be sure to follow up with my staff on your concern so this does not happen again.

Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express Chillicothe. We appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon!

Holiday Inn Express Chillicothe East

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Butler, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Hotel very nice with wonderful rooms and beds. The pool is a saltwater pool that is a very nice size. We stayed on the first floor and did not have a good view but had a jacuzzi in room. This hotel is a keeper. There was construction going on behind hotel in fenced area but we were unable to hear any noise from their work. We were a little worried but it was not a problem.

Room Tip: If you want a view go to a higher floor. The free breakfast was great.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
DeeJay H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chillicothe East, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear Karen S,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our hotel to be a great place to stay. We do have quite a bit of construction going on around us, but the good thing is there is no noise issue. Our saltwater pool is a great addition to our hotel as well as our wonderful breakfast.

Pittsfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I stopped by in the midst of a trip out west - a late evening in June. I was surprised by the price point. The general area looked very rundown. My opinion of the Holiday Inn brand had gone down a bit after visiting one in Groveport, OH last year. Like this one, the hotel was in a sketchy area, and the back door was broken so that anyone could get in. I found the upkeep and security in the Chillicothe location to be stronger.

I did not have much interaction with the staff aside from checking in and grabbing some coffee at breakfast. They were courteous, but generally ignored me in favor of the obvious business travelers. It's like they'd never seen anyone in a suit before. That's where the raves about the customer courtesy must come from. I by no means crave attention from hotel staff as I'm not a very sociable person, but I felt almost snubbed due to my appearance. Appearances can be deceiving.

All in all, it met my needs, but not anything to get excited over.

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Terry C
DeeJay H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chillicothe East, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Terry C,

Thank you for your great feedback. We appreciate your feedback on areas where we can improve. There is construction currently going on around us for new and exciting things to come. We take a lot of pride in our hotel and take great care of it. I am glad to hear that we did meet your needs during your stay.

We see many guests from business travelers to families, and we provide all of our guest with the same and upbeat great customer service. I am very sorry to hear that you felt you were being snubbed as that is in no way shape or farm acceptable. We do our best to make sure all of our guests have an enjoyable and comfortable stay. I do appreciate when our guests bring things to my attention so I know what we can approve on and I will be sure to share your feedback with my staff.

Mount Vernon, Washington
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I travel to Chillicothe about once every three months. I refuse to stay anywhere but the Holiday In Express and that is all because of Elsa!. She makes me feel so welcome and she is so personable! Love you Elsa!

Michael is also a wonderful host and very friendly. He is helpful and makes sure the follow-up phone call to the room is executed on-time every time. Go Michael!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Dave M
DeeJay H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chillicothe East, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Dave M,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review and your loyalty to our hotel while traveling to Chillicothe. I am very glad to hear that Elsa has made an awesome impression on you and that Michael was very friendly and helpful during your stay. I will be sure to pass along your kind words as they both will enjoy being recognized and knowing that they were able to provide you will great service.

Warren, Rhode Island
Reviewed 15 June 2014

My girlfriend and I were driving from Kings Island in Mason OH to Virginia and stopped here after a long day at Kings Island. We also stayed here last year during a similar trip and enjoyed this hotel immensely.

We arrived late around 9 and checked out following day at 11:45, were allowed to stay after check out time which was nice. Check in and out was easy and staff was friendly. At check out, Deejay was working the desk and when I asked about late check out, he said it should be okay, but he would check, although he is the manager, so I thought that was strange...

This hotel is super modern, love the building outside, and the lobby is awesome as well. It is obvious the owners take great pride in the property, everything looks immaculate.

I read other reviews and the negative 1 star is a bit overboard, as this hotel is really nice compared to most in price range.

We had a king room second floor # 212 and it was nice, but view of pool building roof wasn't great. The a/c unit worked very well and was quiet. Flat screen was nice and the decor in room is perfect. Loved the lamps with plugs in the base, all of the furniture was in great condition and looked new. Loved the style of the rooms and bathroom was also immaculately clean.

The bed was comfortable and the pillows were nice and large we both had a great sleep!

Breakfast is very good as well, but the poor woman on our stay, was so overwhelmed trying to keep up with the high demand. Again the manager was standing behind desk and could have provided a quick hand to breakfast attendant, who was scrambling to refill food, empty trash, fill coffee, etc. They ran out of cinnamon buns about 10 minutes before breakfast ended disappointing guests as well as my self. They also only had chobani yogurt which I am not a big fan of. The scrambled eggs were okay but not a big fan. The sausage was also just okay and spicy. I love how they have so many different condiments for everything and even flavored coffee creamer! The selection of food is plentiful (when it is actually all filled). It was a Friday morning and perhaps another breakfast attendant could be beneficial for guest satisfaction.

It appeared to be pretty busy and parking can become somewhat limited! Not surprising, this hotel is quite popular!

There aren't many restaurants near hotel but if you hop on highway and go to next chilicothe exit, there are a ton of different eateries as we found out! I believe it is N Bridge Street.

If I ever pass thru the area again, I would gladly stay at this hotel again, although it is unfortunate that to each side of hotel entrance is either an empty abandoned Shell Gas Station and a old abandoned restaurant. Something awesome is across the street though, a DRIVE THRU convenience store! I am from Rhode Island and haven't seen one before. It was pretty awesome! I'd recommend this hotel as it is a great place to spend a night!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mike M
DeeJay H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chillicothe East, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Mike M,

Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay here at our hotel and you found it to be clean and comfortable. I do recall giving you a late checkout as requested, but I do apologize for the misinterpretation on the statement you mentioned I made that I would check on it for you. Elsa our breakfast host does a wonderful job and takes a lot of pride in her work. We are required to have someone at the desk at all times and our breakfast hosts know when they need help to ask. Our ownership and management company trusts me and my staff to take care of our hotel. We do take a lot of pride in proving our guests with clean and comfortable rooms along with great service.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

While driving from VA Beach to IN Siri sent me on a shortcut on US 35. Nice enough route most of the time but there are very few amenities. Be sure you have gas and have time to get out of the farmland before stopping at the end of the day. After no room availability in Gallipollis, OH, I drove on a couple more hours to Chillicothe. The entrance to the Holiday Inn Express is small and easy to pass but once you've arrived it's a welcome find. The inn is clean, modern. The beds and pillows comfortable. There is breakfast served from 6-10.

Room Tip: I was on the second floor. The window overlooked a roof. It didn't matter to me. I arrived and w...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank WhisperDowntheLane
DeeJay H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chillicothe East, responded to this review, 1 June 2014
Dear WhisperDowntheLane,

Thank you so much for you wonderful review. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and you found it to be clean and comfortable.

Bay City, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

This hotel appears to be relatively new. Walking in gave you a sense that this was a clean place. The staff was very attentive when we checked in. Rooms were as expected - clean and comfortable. Wifi worked very well. The morning breakfast was fresh - love their cinnamon buns. A good place to stay if you are in the area.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andreas T
Dear Andreas T,

Thank you so much for your great feedback. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. The hotel was actually built in 1998. Our current ownership purchased it in 2011 and after a huge renovation of the entire hotel we opened back up in March 2012 as a Holiday Inn Express. We take a lot of pride in making sure we provide our guests with a clean and comfortable hotel along with great customer service.