“Can't be beat! Best BBQ in central Ohio”

Old Canal Smokehouse
Ranked #1 of 92 Restaurants in Chillicothe
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Circleville, Ohio
“Can't be beat! Best BBQ in central Ohio”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

One of the cool things about this place is that the meat is locally sourced. The butcher they get the meat from is just a few blocks away and they take almost daily delivery. The butcher then has sourced most of his meat within Ross county. How cool is that?

The food is TO DIE FOR! I just can't stress it enough, the BBQ is absolutely fantastic.

The prices are high, but when your food is this good and there's little competetion in the realm of high-end food in the area, that's just what happens.

Columbus OH
“Lucious smoky meat”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Ate here with group of 23. Waitress (yes, one) did amazing job of getting our orders correct and delivering them promptly while being pleasant and helpful. Everyone I talked to said the food was wonderful. I had prime rib...never had smoked prime rib before and it was not only great tasting...what a bargain, these days, for a huge portion of beef. Mac and cheese a winner, only disappointment was the homemade potato chips....guess I expected them to be hot and they were not and just so-so. Great onion rings, too. We went right in, with reservation, but would definitely be worth a wait.

1 Thank Karen L
Liberty Township, OH
“Excellent food, slow service”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We took friends from Texas to see Tecumseh and decided to eat here before the play. We were seated immediately, since they were not that busy. We all ordered either ribs or brisket. The food was delicious. We got worried, however, when we were in the restaurant for 50 minutes before getting our food. We had allotted what we thought was plenty of time and then wondered whether we would get to the play on time. It wasn't even a weekend. I would go back, but will allow more time.

bluegrass state
“Nice local restaurant. ”
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Ate here before the Tecumseh outdoor drama. We did call ahead for reservations as we had 7 in our party. There are limited big tables. There is outside seating. The coconut onion rings & stuffed shrooms were tasty. I ordered the ribs baby back with the pulled pork. The ribs were meaty and moist. The pulled pork was a little greasy for me. My sides were salad & mashed potatoes. I am wheat free. So I had to watch close. The mashed potatoes come with fried onions on top. The BBQ sauce is sweet, and sweet & spicy. About half liked & half didn't like. They bring mini corn bread loves to the table. We were very pleased with dinner. Total bill $75 no alcohol & 3 people. One person in our group ordered the smoked ribeye. He said it was very very good. That's saying something because he's picky. We would come back if in the area. Cute pig car outside.

West Harrison
“Something different , very nice experience.”
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

We arrived in Chillicothe and called for a 5:00 reservation. Glad we did. They had a lot of customers of all ages.
The waiter was very nice, and complete. The menus was reasonable and included some different items. The barbacue sauce was very good, I bought a bottle.
The waiter was very busy handling a huge crowd. If anything they may have been understaffed for the dinner crowd. Over all , nice I would go back and recommend The Smokehouse.