“Hidden Ohio gem.”

Adena Mansion and Gardens
Ranked #3 of 18 things to do in Chillicothe
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Very nicely kept, historical, nice grounds, barns, mansion, museum. Historical & fun visit for the entire family. The Great Seal of Ohio is visible from this vantage point.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

Unfortunately everything was closed including the museum. It was still a lovely autumn walk on the grounds, seeing the old gardens, barn & reading the plaques. Restrooms are indoors only.

1  Thank DISenchanted5
Reviewed 31 August 2013

The tour lasts about an hour and the guides are very knowledgeable. There is a small museum and gift shop. I recommend reserving some time in your visit for walking around the grounds and garden. Check out their website for tour times. If you coordinate your arrival time with the tour times then you wont have to spend any time waiting. The house is air conditioned and it is interesting to hear the history. Although it was grand for its day and has some interesting décor, it isn't lavish by today's standards. The grounds are lovely, I would highly recommend visiting Adena if you are in the area. I would say to reserve about 3 hours for your visit.

Reviewed 26 August 2013

We were in Chillicothe 2 weeks ago and decided to visit Adena again. Adena is the mansion and beautiful estate of Governor Worthington, the first Governor of Ohio. The huge grounds are so lovely, the museum displays so intersting and well done, and the staff is, as always, ready to make your visit as nice as possible.
My husband and I toured the historic Adena Mansion and loved seeing it again! I actually was really excited to once again view the interior rooms, big and small, all beautiful and full of Worthington period pieces. Loved the dining room, and Mrs. Worthington's bedroom, and the Governor's study. Our guide was knowledgable and fun, and the families with children really enjoyed the details she shared about the Worhtington children's routines and activites at Adena.
Don't miss the gardens, the barns and the animals. We were encouraged to go and see the new-born donkey, just a few days old, in the barn. We were delighted to see it, the other donkeys and sheep in and around the barn. We also viewed horses on the property, which was a treat.
No doubt we'll see Adena for a third time, next time we are in Chillicothe. There just something about this beautiful, lovely, relaxing place that makes us want to return.

1  Thank FerdieConnecticut
Reviewed 24 August 2013

My wife and I visited this for the first time on August 1, 2013 and were impressed. The history behind this mansion is brought out by the tour guides. The museum is also very interesting and well maintained.