“Not so hidden gem”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chillicothe
Atwood House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 4 Chillicothe B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Bed & Breakfasts are not for everyone, but everyone should stay at this Bed & Breakfast. The home, built in the 1840s is beautiful and Mr. Hirsh has put his touch and character into every niche. We stayed in the presidents room which just exudes history. We stayed in Chillicothe as we were attending the Tecumseh! outdoor drama and were so happy we did. The bed was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in that wasn't in my own home. Additionally, there was another couple in the next room and we had no idea until we met them at breakfast. As for the breakfast, I coupld have eaten 10 cups of his berries and cream, so simple but oh so delicious. If you happen to be spending a night or two in Chillicothe, don't stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lmwiech
William H, Owner at Atwood House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Thanks for your rview Bill Hirsch

Reviewed 11 August 2013

My wife and I stayed at The Atwood House this Saturday when in Chillicothe to see Tecumseh. The Inn is very nice, although our particular room did not have an in-room bathroom. I didn't think this would be an issue but it was a nuisance. I don't know what kind of bedding our room had, but I had an excellent night's sleep. Very comfortable. The grounds are very nice but the best part at staying at The Atwood House was the incredible breakfast and the discussions with Bill and the other guests during and after breakfast. Bill's stories about serving Nixon and others at Camp David were very interesting. We were disappointed in downtown Chillicothe. It is a very much in decline with only a few shops open. Tecumseh was a good show but too long (2:45) and it took forever to exit the parking lots. The buffet was a mess. I would recommend eating before attending the show.

Room Tip: Reserve early to get the President's or the Governor's room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank bhighlande
Reviewed 14 July 2013

A great, friendly bed and breakfast set in the most interesting section of Chillicothe.

The room was impeccably clean, comfortable and decorated to a high standard.

Breakfast was excellent. Mr Hirsch is a fascinating and gracious host.

Overall, highly recommended.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Beth S
Reviewed 29 June 2013

We stayed a the Atwood House for two day this week and had a delightful stay. I can't honestly imagine how it could have been any better. Maybe if we stayed three nights! Bill, the innkeeper, has magnificently restored this mid-19th century mansion in downtown Chillicothe. We stayed in the Governor's Suite and it was stunning. At first I thought I would miss a shower but found myself transported back to a more elegant era as I soaked in the claw-foot bathtub. The breakfasts were to die for. I didn't want to ask how many calories were swimming in the cream sauce that surrounded the fresh fruit each morning. It's one of the few times that you don't worry about the calories - just enjoy it. The gardens at the rear of the house were lovingly cared for and so restful. Bill himself was butler to President Nixon at Camp David and he cares for you with an elegance and excellence that makes you feel like royalty. But he is also very approachable, interesting, and comfortable and I thoroughly enjoyed our chats with him over coffee each morning. Not only will we be staying with Bill when business calls to Chillicothe, but we would consider staying here as a destination get-away.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank Edward W
Reviewed 29 June 2013

This is such a beautiful home - the room was exceptionally relaxing and comfy. You know it says something when you are pulling back the covers to see what was the brand of mattress you were sleeping on and the brand of sheets - felt like I was sleeping on a cloud :) Room was very quiet. The home is beautifully decorated. The garden is such a quiet and relaxing spot to sip on your morning coffee. We could have sat out there for hours if we had the time! If I had to say anything really negative and obviously it didn't affect this review as I am still giving it an excellent rating is that owner is pretty strict about breakfast time - 9am. We stated night before we had to leave the house by 8:30 and owner said well ok coffee will be ready by 7:30am. (Not the typical response we have received from past B&B owners). When we came in our room there was even a note that said breakfast at 9am unless otherwise arranged at check-in. Well, we let him know at check-in we had to leave by 8:30. Trust me if we could have stayed later we would but my husband had a game at 9am. Owner did state he would try to step out and pick up some donuts which he did and boy they were delicious (from a local bakery). I couldn't help wonder what kind of breakfast we missed out on! I am sure it was top notch! I only make this comment because this is the first time we had really ran across a breakfast snag like this. If that is going to be a problem, I would suggest discussing before you book.

Room Tip: Did not mean to rate pool - won't let me deselect.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mel4osu
Reviewed 28 June 2013

I was in Chillicothe on business for three days and two nights and based myself at the Atwood House. I could not have made a better choice. Located just on the edge of downtown Chillicothe, it was convenient to the places I needed to be on business, to good restaurants and even close to where the First Capital Rotary Club met. The circa 1840 home has been meticulously restored and is kept spotlessly clean. I stayed in the President's Suite which is beautifully decorated with presidential memorabilia, including some things from the owner's time as butler to President Nixon at Camp David. The bed was the softest I've ever slept in; reminiscent of some of those amazing feather beds found in Alpine lodges. My appointments had me out of the building too early for breakfast both days, but Bill provided me with hot coffee and a breakfast for the road which included pasties, fresh fruit and yoghurt. This was the "service above and beyond" I refer to. The Atwood house is also an event venue. Though I did not experience this part of the business, I have no doubt it matches the high standards I did experience during my visit.

Room Tip: The President's Suite is interesting for its memorabilia, but it is streetside. If you are a li...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Kerry S
Reviewed 12 May 2013

I came across The Atwood House on a google search. I surprised my husband with a weekend away just the 2 of us. It wasn't until after I booked the reservation that I read the reviews. I was even more psyched upon reading all of them. I didn't realize that Chillicothe was such a gorgeous little town. There are tons of Beautiful Historical homes, one after another. Along with a nice Historical downtown area. Upon arriving I was in awe of the structure. Bills nephew was there to let us in. Once inside it took my breath away. The house in impeccable. His nephew is very professional and gave us the tour of the house. Bill has restored it to its Natural Beauty. We stayed in the Governors Suite and were very pleased. It has 12ft ceilings that appear even taller than that. It has a fabulous 7ft Clawfoot Bathtub, which I took total advantage of. It also has a private 2nd story balcony. The entire house is very clean and smells pleasant. There is a wonderful Flower Garden in the back of the house along with fountains and lawn furniture. Bill prepares a delicious Breakfast and serves it to you, along with lovely china. He will sit and have coffee with you while you finish. He is such a down to earth and friendly man. He is very knowledgeable on the History of the house and the area. He will also tell you about his past adventures. I can't say enough about the house and the owner. I am already planning my next trip down. If you are looking for a Bed & Breakfast, do yourself a favor and stay at the Atwood House. You won't be disappointed. Make yourself a reservation at the Old Canal Smokehouse. Its only a few minutes away. We liked it better than Paula Deens Restaurant in Savannah, GA. Also checkout the Sumburger Diner. Its a cute vintage diner with great food.

Room Tip: The Governors Room is gorgeous. Its the only room with a Clawfoot Bathtub and private 2nd story bal...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple