“A shame that housekeeping ruins it for the rest of the wonderful staff”

Quality Inn Chillicothe
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Chillicothe
Ohiopyle, Pennsylvania
“A shame that housekeeping ruins it for the rest of the wonderful staff”
Reviewed 10 August 2012

I want to start by saying that the front desk staff (especially mary ann) and the ladies that run the breakfast area have always been so friendly and attentive to customers needs. That is the main reason why I continue to book with this comfort inn instead of the other several close hotels... HOWEVER this last stay left a bad taste in my mouth. I am usually not one to complain AT ALL but I do so this time bc I truly want to see this establishment excel and not get lost in the shuffle with the other hotels.

At breakfast one morning I heard several other guest complaining about the cleanliness,well the lack of, their rooms. I thought "hmmm that can't be right I have never had a problem....they must be nit pickers!" But unfortunately I have to agree with them. I stay here a lot...A LOT. This time my stay was more of an extended stay vs a "drop by" and I guess that I actually had time to notice and pay attention to more things.

My bed was only made once....1 time in over a week stay! Maybe they consider flipping the sheets down bed service but my pillows weren't even straightened out. I even try to keep my room clean like it is my house so that housekeeping doesn't have to pick up after me. Dare I even think if the sheets were ever changed prior to me checking in now. They even have those "green program" cards you are to place on the bed so that they don't change sheets. I purposely did not place it on my bed so that the sheets would be changed and they never were and I know that bc my bed was never made. So by the 3rd day I started to experiment by leaving lil things around the room to see if areas we ever cleaned or touched. I think that the whole hotel is just in need of a good renovation. Soooooooo

1. Bed never made nor sheets ever changed
2. Carpet never swept (now come to think of it I have never even heard a vacuum run and I am there during several diff times during the day and night)
3. No surface ever dusted.
4. Bathroom floor never swept
5. Shower never cleaned
6. Lamp and coffee maker never worked even with a note left for housekeeping.
7. Cups or ice bags never replaced.
8. Musty/smokey smell in the run and when brought to their attention they just sprayed the room/halls with aerosol spray.
9. Key card swipes on the outside doors are not working...so any person and their brother can just walk right in. I am a very confident person in defending myself and this still makes me uneasy to the point to where I am cautiously walking in always looking over my shoulder.
10. Window was unlocked and hard to secure. Can also hear everything outside due to poor insulation around the windows.

Again the only reason I write this is in hopes of the right people seeing it to correct these problems. I truly love the overall experience and individual attention received, I just want to make sure that these small, easy to fix problems don't affect the future business. It's like the old saying "I hope a few bad apples don't ruin the whole bushel".

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
John W, General Manager at Quality Inn Chillicothe, responded to this review, 12 September 2012
I'm glad you enjoyed the service at the front desk and most of the facilities of the hotels. I have passed on your praise to Marianne and she was glad to have hear of it.

I'm terribly sorry about the circumstance of your stay. There is no excuse for a lack of housekeeping service and corrective actions have been taken. We've also taken proactive measures such as having some outside vendors put on training classes reinforcing those tasks housekeepers should be performing each day .

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 27 June 2012

I have stayed here twice now, due to limited choices in the area. The Inn still smells like stale smoke, I don't think it ever goes away. The rooms are OK but dated. It is in a safe area and there are plenty of restaurants around to eat. Rates are reasonable. The staff is extremely friendly, the Inn just lacks a little for the rate that is expected to be paid.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
I understand your feeling about the rate being charged and we do our best to make up for it with our amenities.

As a 25 year old hotel we are always making changes to improve the value that we have to offer our guests. Approximately every 5 years we make changes to most areas in the hotel.
Our last renovation was in 2007 and we are currently undergoing a renovation process for our breakfast room, hallways, lobby, rooms, and bedding.

I do thank you for your earnest opinion and I hope to better fulfill your expectations next time.
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed 7 May 2012

I was moving my three cats from IN to NC by car and needed a pet-friendly hotel. I called ahead to check and was told they were. I arrived about 6 PM and they confirmed that they were pet-friendly and checked me in charging me $89/night for a non-smoking room. Having run my credit card the desk clerk disappeared into the office without giving me any room or key. I waited - my animals left in the car.... After a couple of minutes a young couple came into the lobby and the clerk came out and apologized and told them he would get them a clean room. He disappeared into the office again.
They told me they had arrived at noon & been told no rooms were clean for check in yet- fair enough as check in is stated at 3 PM. When they came back at 5 the room they were given were dirty. The clerk was trying to locate housekeeping to find out which rooms had been cleaned. I had just driven by the housekeeping staff on my way in from the road. They were out back, at a picnic table, smoking.

When the desk clerk came back out I asked if they had a room for me and he said they did - he just did not know which were clean. I pointed out that this meant he did NOT have a room for me, He argued that I did not have a reservation. I pointed out that 1) he had just taken my money 2) the sign says check in is a 3PM and 3) his housekeeping staff was out back smoking. Without speaking to me, he slammed a sign on the desk saying he would be right back and left. On his return I was given a supposedly clean and supposedly non-smoking room. See photos below of the cigarette and beer can I found under the bed.
As for pet friendly,the luggage cart was not large enough for the dog crate my cats were in but then it would not go through the hallway doors anyway. I had to put the crate on the luggage cart sideways to get it in the building then haul it off the cart to put the crate through the hall door frontways and drag my cats' crate down the hall to the room. And no, the desk clerk did not come out and offer to hold the door open or anything else.

The advertised "Hot Breakfast" was congealed gravy in a hot pot with cold biscuits, greasy sausages patties and unidentifiable eggs-something possibly on an english muffin - couldn't tell. Other than that, cold cereal or hit the road.

They aren't responsible for the bikers get-together at the next-door bar overnight but they are responsible for their staff taking money when they don't know if or when there will be clean rooms, for their staff not cleaning the rooms when they say they have, for not having clean rooms available after check in time they advertise, for arguing with guests from whom they have taken money and not given a room and for advertising that lukewarm mess as hot breakfast. They should be ashamed to take people's money.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere - supposing you can find a clean room you will have either the highway on the one side...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank lsinnott
John W, General Manager at Quality Inn Chillicothe, responded to this review, 21 May 2012
I apologize for your experience not meeting your expectations.

I've spoken to all the staff involved in the problems you encountered during your stay.

I'm afraid the clerk at the desk phrased his words badly. He meant he had a room that would be available to rent although they were not clean at the time, and pushed ahead with making a reservation instead of simply checking you in. When he imprinted your credit card, it was to guarantee the reservation, and did not actually charge the card.

I've also checked with the Breakfast Attendent. She did put out sausage gravy, sausage patties, and cheese and egg bagels and did not note any irregularities nor note that the fresh waffle maker was out of order, or that we were missing other items like oatmeal, donuts, or bagels. I do regret if she failed to point out alternatives if the main dishes were unacceptable.

We are a pet friendly hotel though, though we do charge a $25 per stay fee. Our luggage carts must be the size they are unfortunately since a larger one cannot fit though the door.

Once again I apologize, and if there is something I can make this right for you, please let me know.

John Woods
Lakewood, Ohio
Reviewed 30 April 2012

This is a nice hotel for business, or families. I was here locally on business and found several restaurants within walking distance. The rooms were clean, and relatively modern. The staff was nice at check in. The area seems safe to walk around in.

Room Tip: I overheard another customer say when checking in, if he could please have a first floor room, since...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank bengalwin
Thank you for the kind words. It may interest you that in addition to restaurants like Roosters, Ponderosa, and Applebee's, a very well liked local establishment, The Old Canal Smokehouse appears to be reopening soon and is just a short 5 minute drive from us.

John Woods
Reviewed 25 November 2011

This is a non smoking hotel but our towels and sheets smelled like whomever washed them smoked the entire time they were being folded. We woke up with sore throats after sleeping on those sheets. Also, when you toweled off from the shower, you smelled like you had been smoking.

The exterior doors have a device on them that you have to swipe your hotel key to get in and none of them worked. Anyone could have walked in and been waiting in the hallway for you - scary!

Oh and there is NO elevator. Ask for the first floor or you will be carting your luggage, children and everything else up the stairs.

I would pay a little more and stay at the Hampton. They at least guarantee a fresh bed...

• Stayed November 2011
Reviewed 30 October 2011

This particular night, we were invited to a buffet dinner by management. Another couple said the same. It was chicken 'n noodles, mashed potatoes w/gravy, corn, water or sodas. It was a manager's special. What a treat for tired travelers who don't want to go outside. This place is clean and comfortable. The staff is nice, and very nice to us that night. Breakfast is good--the eggs better than most other Comfort Inns. They were fixed like an omelet with cheese inside. What a difference it makes. The fruit is fresh, not canned. Like to have raisin bran, especially in boxes like this place. This is not the newest one, but it is kept well and looks like it has always been busy.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Chilicothe, Ohio
Reviewed 7 October 2011

Recently we stayed at the comfort Inn in Chilicothe, Ohio. I would never stay there again. We had a suite and spent two days there. It was not very clean and the room was not cleaned at all.I finally got a young man who brought some towels. He was the only friendly face. It was really difficult to get the front desk. The worse was men outside working on the window. It interrupted our entire day. I have no idea why they were doing this. We stayed here about 6 years ago and it was much better. There is no elevator and had to carry luggage up to the second floor.this was not worth the money. I have stayed in many hotels, this was the worse. I think people should do more research, I am sure there are better choices

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Delma H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chillicothe
Christopher Inn & Suites
Americas Best Value Inn Chillicothe
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#2 of 4 in Circleville

Been to Quality Inn Chillicothe? Share your experiences!