“Disappointed”
Review of Salty Oyster Grill - CLOSED

Salty Oyster Grill
Price range: US$8 - US$15
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I truly hate to write poor reviews but I also look to Trip Advisor for guidance when selecting a restaurant so I feel some responsibility to post reviews after using TA for a selection. I am only commenting on the oysters, which were horrible. Hopefully the other items are better. BTW, alcohol, including wine or beer is not available. Server was very nice.

1  Thank oblr

Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

It has some of the best food's but my fav is the steak not to salty and not a lil its just right. One if the best restaurants around here you dont have to take anyone word from it go see for yourself people always have something bad to say about restaurants no matter what just go check it out and make a review plz thank you

1  Thank milton b
Reviewed 1 June 2014

First of all, it is the exact same restaurant as Grampa's, which is even referenced on the menu. The menu changed somewhat, I have been hearing advertisements about how great it was and was sorely disappointed that it was the same, because Grampa's was horrible!. The food was bland, the texture of the hushpuppies was too soft with a very crunchy outer shell and lightly seasoned. That is were the seasoning ended, no salt on anything. The beans were very bland, coleslaw not bad. Then the entree's came out, I had the southern whitefish, again no seasoning at all. I don't know how they did it but the outside was very crunchy and the inside was very,very wet and mushy actually, gross. I also had clam strips, they were rubbery, not made there, from frozen I am sure. My wife had the blacked tilapia which was a bit torn up when the plate came out. Then the "chef" came out and asked about our dinner then began explaining the cooking process of how he steams the fish under a pan and he lightly seasoned the fish. I cook, steam would remove the blackened seasoning as it cooked which totally changes it from blackened to something mush different. She ordered blackened not steamed in blackened seasoning. Then we finished, it was the same as our last visit to Grampa's, the waitress never came to the table to bring the check, I had to hunt her down and wait some more while she found the ticket. Don't waste your time or money

2  Thank Nolen L
GrampasCatfishHouse, Owner at Salty Oyster Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear Upset Customer,

First of all, I would like to start off by saying that I am terribly sorry that you were disappointed with your recent visit.

Since we have owned the restaurant since last April, yes much of the food on the menu is the same. We decided to change the name of the restaurant when we added more of a variety of seafood to the menu.

On another note, we season all of our food so I am not sure why you have indicated that all of the food was bland. Almost every item on the menu has it's own seasoning. As for the hushpuppies, I understand that everyone has different taste, but many people love our hushpuppy recipe and brag that they are the best that they have ever eaten (as indicated in several of our reviews).

Now, on to the grilled tilapia. We never steam our grilled fish under a pan, so I am in shock that this was even mentioned. All of our grilled fish is cooked on our flat grill with seasonings, but definitely not placed under a pan of any sort. Also, our cooks generally do not step of the kitchen - especially to speak to guests. I am sorry, but I do have a hard time believing this portion of your review.

Lastly, I do apologize that your ticket was not brought to your table right as you finished your meal. However, if this ever happens, the ticket can be retrieved at the front counter - no problem at all. This will save anyone from having to hunt down your waitress.

Owner

Reviewed 23 May 2014

Dined May 23rd, Cole slaw & beans need seasoning, rather bland. Tried the rainbow trout grilled and was average. The fried catfish was ok, but nothing special and this was their previous specialty under the old restaurant name. Slightly over cooked. All in all nothing special and was hoping with the new name and I assume owner that there would be a change. They need to tune up the basics like a full set of silverware, not just a fork wrapped in a small napkin. Servers were very nice people and no complaint. Decor is dated. No need for Christian music in the background. It's a public restaurant not the place for that and other religious signs around the restaurant. I doubt some of the high ratings on TA with reviewers with 1 post.

2  Thank primediver

Hi,

Sorry to hear that the food did not meet your expectations during your recent visit.
We do season all of our food, so I hate to hear that you referred to the food as bland & that your fish was slightly over-cooked. I will address this to my cooks.

We have, however, added several new items to our menu, so there is much more of a variety of seafood to choose from.

No, we have not changed any of the decor as of yet. But honestly, this should not affect a persons reason on whether or not they choose to eat with us. People come to eat at a restaurant for the food and fellowship. I understand there were some things that did not meet your taste, but everyone is different & MANY seem to like what we have going on.

Now, you mentioned that there is no need to play Christian music or to have religious signs around the restaurant. This is a personal decision, and many guests respect our decision to stand for our faith in our business. We will stand for God no matter what.

Lastly, I would like to address the comment about not believing post with only 1 review. I see where you are coming from with this one. The truth behind this is that we urge all of our new guests to post a review on TA about their meal and experience. Some of these people have never heard of TA until we mention it to them, or until they notice the signs on the tables. We love to see new responses from our new guests.

Thanks!

Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

I had the gumbo for an appetizer and a dozen oysters on the half shell as main course....There's just nothing like fresh shucked oysters...We had no wait getting seated and the wait staff was swift and courteous. ..I will visit again for sure.

2  Thank Carol N