“made me sad”
Review of Salty Oyster Grill - CLOSED

Salty Oyster Grill
Price range: US$8 - US$15
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I was very excited to try Salty Oyster Grill. I read the reviews and was happy it was a Christian owned business. Loved the bible verse on the board as we walked in and the bible open on the counter. The Christian music was a plus too. Unfortunately, that's where it ended. I had a super craving for hush puppies. All the reviews were so positive about them, so I couldn't wait to try them. First, our poor waitress must have been on her first day. She was very timid and uninformed. She brought our beans and coleslaw, but no hush puppies. I asked if they served them and she responded with, "my bad". My date had to remind her again to bring them and she advised us they were cooking them. Again, I was excited to know we were getting the fresh hush puppies. What a disappointment! They were like balls of doughy cornbread. No flavor, even the ones with jalapenos. The catfish was just ok. The fries, shrimp, and chicken strip all tasted like they were from the freezer (not fresh) and deep fried in the same fryer. It was all bland with little to no seasoning. I'll say it wasn't bad, but wasn't good either. I won't be back. There wasn't anything there to reel me back in.

2  Thank maxi_house

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Salty Oyster recently catered our Family Reunion at Lake Catherine State Park. Chris was the cooked for the day. He served some of the 'BEST FRIED FISH, HUSH PUPPIES, CHICKEN, FRENCH FRIES, COLE SLAW, HOMEMADE FRIED APPLE PIES, we've had in a very long time! Our family was extremely happy with how hot and fresh the food was. The cleanliness, his professionalism, and overall hospitality was impeccable. We look forward to doing business with them again. We strongly recommend you give them a try.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

I truly hate to write poor reviews but I also look to Trip Advisor for guidance when selecting a restaurant so I feel some responsibility to post reviews after using TA for a selection. I am only commenting on the oysters, which were horrible. Hopefully the other items are better. BTW, alcohol, including wine or beer is not available. Server was very nice.

1  Thank oblr
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

It has some of the best food's but my fav is the steak not to salty and not a lil its just right. One if the best restaurants around here you dont have to take anyone word from it go see for yourself people always have something bad to say about restaurants no matter what just go check it out and make a review plz thank you

1  Thank milton b
Reviewed 1 June 2014

First of all, it is the exact same restaurant as Grampa's, which is even referenced on the menu. The menu changed somewhat, I have been hearing advertisements about how great it was and was sorely disappointed that it was the same, because Grampa's was horrible!. The food was bland, the texture of the hushpuppies was too soft with a very crunchy outer shell and lightly seasoned. That is were the seasoning ended, no salt on anything. The beans were very bland, coleslaw not bad. Then the entree's came out, I had the southern whitefish, again no seasoning at all. I don't know how they did it but the outside was very crunchy and the inside was very,very wet and mushy actually, gross. I also had clam strips, they were rubbery, not made there, from frozen I am sure. My wife had the blacked tilapia which was a bit torn up when the plate came out. Then the "chef" came out and asked about our dinner then began explaining the cooking process of how he steams the fish under a pan and he lightly seasoned the fish. I cook, steam would remove the blackened seasoning as it cooked which totally changes it from blackened to something mush different. She ordered blackened not steamed in blackened seasoning. Then we finished, it was the same as our last visit to Grampa's, the waitress never came to the table to bring the check, I had to hunt her down and wait some more while she found the ticket. Don't waste your time or money

2  Thank Nolen L
GrampasCatfishHouse, Owner at Salty Oyster Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear Upset Customer,

First of all, I would like to start off by saying that I am terribly sorry that you were disappointed with your recent visit.

Since we have owned the restaurant since last April, yes much of the food on the menu is the same. We decided to change the name of the restaurant when we added more of a variety of seafood to the menu.

On another note, we season all of our food so I am not sure why you have indicated that all of the food was bland. Almost every item on the menu has it's own seasoning. As for the hushpuppies, I understand that everyone has different taste, but many people love our hushpuppy recipe and brag that they are the best that they have ever eaten (as indicated in several of our reviews).

Now, on to the grilled tilapia. We never steam our grilled fish under a pan, so I am in shock that this was even mentioned. All of our grilled fish is cooked on our flat grill with seasonings, but definitely not placed under a pan of any sort. Also, our cooks generally do not step of the kitchen - especially to speak to guests. I am sorry, but I do have a hard time believing this portion of your review.

Lastly, I do apologize that your ticket was not brought to your table right as you finished your meal. However, if this ever happens, the ticket can be retrieved at the front counter - no problem at all. This will save anyone from having to hunt down your waitress.