“old charm - snotty employees”

Arlington Resort Hotel & Spa
Ranked #18 of 44 Hotels in Hot Springs
st louis
“old charm - snotty employees”
Reviewed 3 July 2012

I had to park a block away from the hotel and carry my luggage through the streets of Hot Springs, the bathroom was outdated and the toilet was something from a road side rest area, the air conditioning did nothing more than make the room 80 degrees, we had to listen to someone two rooms down yell and scream at her boyfriend at the top of her lungs for 15 minutes, the baseboards in the room had dirt caked in them and when I walked to the pool area I felt like I might fall through the rotting deck at any minute. even through all of this I still quite enjoyed my stay.......up until check out. I stood in line for 10 minutes waiting for one of the 4 employees to get done with the one person they were waiting on. Finally it was my turn. I walked up to the lady behind the desk and as soon as I did she picked up the phone and didn't acknowledge me. I stood there, in front of her, for another 3 minutes waiting for her to get off of the phone, which she never did, when I noticed the man next to her was free. I walked up to him but another couple got there at the same time. He looked at me and said "you have to wait in line". Really????? What did he think I had been doing?? I told him I was in line but as soon as i walked up to the first lady she got on the phone. All he did was look at me and then shrug his shoulders. Yeah that's what I said. He shrugged his shoulders as if to say "sorry i'm an idiot and i don't know how to deal with this problem". Wow!! Now that's what I call service. Arlington, you will not get my business again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank margaret s

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
Reviewed 2 July 2012

Always heard about Hot Springs and wanted to stay in nice old hotel. Hotel is Ok not expensive but sure would pay more for a little cleaner room. Paint not expensive. Bath house row and downtown nice but one day would have been plenty. I was amazed at the decay of the downtown many empty old buildings. No reason at all to return

• Stayed July 2012
Grapevine, Texas
Reviewed 2 July 2012

I love the Arlington Hotel Resort & Spa. I know it has its flaws, but what hotel built in 1925 doesn't? The same people have worked at the front desk for at least the last 23 years, that's how long I have been coming here. I adore the buffet in the mornings at the Fountain Room with its Spanish chandeliers and linen-padded flowered walls and old-fashion service that I remember from the movies, the carpets with their unique designs and old world look, the big rooms with 20 ft ceilings and windows you can see the mist from the hot springs hanging over the Pine trees on the mountainside, the smell of the Magnolia trees in bloom that are everywhere, the hot tub sitting on the side of the mountain, the bathhouse, and the pools. I even love the sound of the sirens and motorcycles speeding by. The beds and pillows are so soft and inviting. I always sleep great here.

Room Tip: Don't get a room next to the service elevator. The laundry shute is there and you will hear a ba...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank nelllang507
Reviewed 2 July 2012

We landed at Hot Springs Airport, got our rental car, & once we entered the Vallet parking garage of the Arlington it was like we stepped back in time. Our room was very clean, spacious, & a nice view of downtown. (room 439) The rooms trim work did have some minor paint issues of cracking & bubbling but it's part of the hotels age & ambiance, nothing to complain about. The Arlington Is Beautiful! We also did the Bath/Spa Package. In our opinion Its as good as any in town, & we have been to several in Hot Springs. The location was perfect for a stroll downtown for shopping, dinner, & dessert. If you are a person looking to find something wrong at the Arlington as many of the reviews i read were, I'm sure you will but for my wife of 23 years & I we had a great weekend & will come again.

DK

• Stayed June 2012
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 2 July 2012

After reading some of the recent reviews and seeing some of the pictures, I was not expecting much from our stay at the Arlington, but thankfully, was pleasantly surprised. The rooms were all spotless. We originally were offered rooms on the back on the 3rd floor. The view was of power lines. It took some convincing of the registration desk, that I would not complain about the heat, but we were moved to the 7th floor and had a lovely view of Central Ave and the park. Again, room was spotless, very old, but I had no complaints.
They let us check in a little early and the lady cleaning the rooms checked to see that everything was satisfactory. She brought us extra shampoo and soap and took care of some other extras for us as well.
The room was noisy, mostly from the street 7 floors below. BUT even when we were on top of the mountain you could hear the noise. It is evidently quite an echo chamber with the mountains on either side and forces the sound up.
We have been going to the Arlington for at least 20 years and it is not the same, but still provided a clean, comfortable room in a great location.
The breakfast is no where close to what it once was and resembled only a little higher quality than the chain hotels, by providing wait staff for coffee, water, as well as white tablecloths and napkins. I wish they had at least a waffle maker, which would have improved it somewhat.
We enjoyed the popcorn in the afternoon and the music at night, as well as a place to sit and watch the traffic on their amazing front porch.
The things that could have improved the trip would be no smoking on porch, better attitude by front desk and waiters.
We were a group that ranged in age from 11 to 82, so the fact that are were satisfied says a lot.
Overall Hot Springs could do with an attitude check, the tourists are your customers, not your unwelcome guests.

Room Tip: I know they will pressure you to take the rooms on the back, but if a view is important to you, ask...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Norman, Oklahoma
Reviewed 30 June 2012

My boyfriend and I came into town on a saturday with no reservations. The Arlington had the best rate of all the hotels in town. The location is amazing with easy walking access to many restaurants and shops. When we checke in we chatted with the front desk attendant and got a discount. We got to our room and were pleased. The rooms are old but very clean; however, the road noise was TERRBILE! You can hear everything and there were a lot of motorcycles that went by! I will ask to stay on the back side of the property next time!

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank anje_C
Alabama
Reviewed 30 June 2012

We just came home from a wonderful 4-day vacation in Hot Springs. We stayed at the Arlington, a grand old Southern hotel, but clean and comfortable. Our room was large with at least 6 feet between the double beds. Like any old genteel lady, she had her cracks and chips, but over-all a great place to stay. Rooms were quiet and well air-conditioned in near 100o weather. Breakfast in dining room was delicious. Spa was O.K. I had a great massage from a man, but my friend's woman masseur was pitiful, a glorified lotion rub. The service in the bath room was great, but the girls in the reception area of spa was too interested in talking to each other. We enjoyed the atmosphere of the spa area. Hotel was very convenient to bathhouse row area. Be sure to eat at The Colonial Pancake and Waffle House and Bathhouse Soapery & Caldarium nearby.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends