“One of a kind the Arlington hotel!”

and 1 more site!
Arlington Resort Hotel & Spa
Ranked #16 of 45 Hotels in Hot Springs
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

We travel to hot springs every year for the races at oaklawn. This is our 15th year and always stay at the Arlington. We do travel a lot and find this hotel to be unique offering an array of services that we find different in any other place. The spa takes you back to the days of al Capone and hasn't changed in decor. Mineral bath and massage very reasonable and attentive. We love the Libby bar and big band music on weekends. Great people watching as ballroom classes must try out their lessons on the dance floor. Rooms are comfortable for sleeping but not spending much time in. Hotel could use some touching up but we get a kick out of the atmosphere. Big front porch to enjoy a Bloody Mary before the races and outdoor hot tub on the side of the mountain is a must!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
ArlingtonGM, General Manager at Arlington Resort Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Thank you for your loyalty and business over the past 15 years. There is nothing like being here in Hot Springs when the horses are racing at Oaklawn.

Please come back and visit us again real soon.

Reviewed 6 March 2014

If you want a brand new, sparkling, all-the-latest conveniences, hotel, this is not your place. If you want a step-back-in-time nostalgic visit, you can't go wrong with the Arlington. We have been staying there for many, many years. The Arlington has an 'old-European' feel that we love. The views, especially from the rooms that look up Central Avenue, are lovely. We love the large dining room, and we have had very good food there. The management strives to satisfy their customers, and if you have any problem, you should ask for their help. We find it relaxing and fun.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the Park side, if you want it more quiet. If you can get a room or suite looking...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank a1glenda

Appreciate your " Life Long " patronage and loyalty to the Arlington Hotel and staff. I am so glad you really get to relax and enjoy your visits.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

I don't know who gave this hotel its stars...We stayed only one night. The room we had looked like had never been painted or repaired since they rebuilt the hotel. the bathroom was even worse.The receptionist was indifferent to my complains.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Parrykk

I appreciate you taking the time to send pictures and comments regarding your recent stay. We take your feedback very seriously and constantly looking at ways to improve our overall appreaance. Considering the type of construction with paint and plaster involved it is an ongoing process.

I sincerly apologize for the unpleasant visit and response you received from our front desk associate. I hope you will give us another opportunity to be of service.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

To begin with, the lady taking our reservation was extremely rude. I had to repeat myself several times because she acted like she wasn't paying attention to me, then had to call twice to get an email confirmation.
When we checked in, she was even ruder and condensending. The room was a dump and the bathroom looked worse than a gas station bathroom. The room was extremely small, filthy, and the paint and wall paper was peeling. There was no air or heat because we were told the thermostat was controlled by management.
I have stayed here more than a dozen times since the early '80's, but this was the worse I have ever seen it. I will not be returning.

• Stayed: February 2014
8  Thank Charles E

I am sorry that this experience was not as good as what you had experienced in the past. There are certainly no excuse for rude behavior. Please accept my sincere apologies for the actions of our staff.

While there isn't much we can do for the size of the bathroom it should have been clean and in good order. Management only controls whether we are on heating, air condition or nothing at all. This and the fall season are the most difficult to control.

Please give us another opportunity so we may show you an experience more indicitave from prior visits to the Arlington .

Reviewed 18 February 2014

Just returned from a 3-night weekend stay and have to concurr with the other two reviews from the same weekend, as well as many others over the last year or so.

We last stayed at the Arlington over 20 years ago. I don't remember much of the details of that stay beyond the fact we really liked the historic, art deco ambiance as well as the central location. We were really looking forward to an extended weekend getaway. What a disappointment.

Where to start? Overall impression is that the management is just not spending the money on proper maintenance and the building itself is in a long decline. Lot's of peeling paint, splitting wallpaper, dirty floors. The windows in the guest rooms look like the exterior surfaces hadn't seen a coat of paint since the original … peeling paint and caulking (if any at all), exposed, weathered, and rotting wood. Interior wood surfaces, especially trim work, was just one layer of peeling paint top of another. When we arrived on Friday, the floors of the elevators looked to be in serious need of being mopped, if not scrubbed. When we left on Monday they looked the same. The bed itself was very comfortable, but the furnishings in the rooms (dresser and side tables) all looked as if they had come from the Goodwill store. Same in the room occupied by friends we were spending the weekend with. Our television was an old CRT model (pre-flat screen). Fortunately, we weren't there to watch TV.

On our first of three nights, the temperature in the room was 80 degrees, in spite of our setting the thermostat to 65 and the 'cool' cycle. It just kept blowing hot air. We finally shut it off, opened the decaying window and cranked up the ceiling fan. The next morning I informed the front desk and was promised they'd have maintenance look into it. A little later my wife also reported it to a different person at the front desk. This person explained that the entire building, including guest rooms, were on a central system and, being February, was still set for heating, not cooling. OK, so why did the first guy tell me they'd “look into it” when he knew full well there was nothing to “look into” I can only conclude he was just “blowing me off”.

The free wi-fi was a joke. The signal strength was so poor that the service was useless.

Housekeeping. The first day, housekeeping didn't arrive at my room until 3:30 in the afternoon. In spite of my having indicated I wanted fresh towels (by leaving the used towels on the floor) it appeared they simply re-hung one bath towel and took the other. I gave them the benefit of the doubt on the first, but still had to chase them down to get a second replacement towel. The next morning we also noticed that they had not re-stocked the coffee service. The next day they again did not arrive at the room until 4:00 . This time they did replace all towels and restock the coffee service, but still did not vacuum the floor that was visibly in need of it. I also observed many rooms that had hung out the 'please service' tag and said tag was still there well into the afternoon and evening. It appears the presence of these is for appearance only, or simply because that is the standard 'flip side' of the 'do not disturb' tag.

Overall, it appears that the hotel management is just resting on the hotel's history, while the newer hotels on the edge of town eat their lunch. Maintaining the historical ambiance doesn't preclude proper maintenance, nor does it preclude updating the amenities. Rooms should have an unobtrusive, under the window heating/cooling unit, so that each room has complete control and is not dependent on a central system. Maintaining the historical ambiance doesn't preclude installing enough repeaters to provide proper wi-fi service, which has come to be as much of a 'given' as hot and cold running water.

I see the same issues in reviews of the two other remaining “grand” hotels in downtown Hot Springs, (the Park and the Austin) and noted that the Majestic (where we have also stayed) has been shuttered. It would be a shame for the Arlington to meet the same fate.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Ed S

Thank you for giving us a review. There are no excuses for the poor housekeeping services and lack of Wi Fi in your room. Please trust me when I say we are not resting on our history.

At this time it is an ongoing painting and repair work by our team I have bids in hand to preplace as much as 200 new TV's . The heat should have been turned off and placed in neutral considering the unusual temperture rise. There on no plans at this time to upgrade the A/C system.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences caused.

Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

We stay at the Arlington approximately 3 or 4 times a year. We ONLY stay here because we can park our car for the weekend and walk everywhere we want to go. The historical feel of the hotel is great but about played out. The lobby is historically beautiful, the bar is decent and Friday and Saturday nights are always entertaining with the live band and assortment of dancers or those dancers who have defiantly had some liquid encouragement. We love to people watch so this is fun for us.
The rooms and pool area leave MUCH to be desired. It being valentines weekend we were stuck in room 205 on the second floor, just above the lobby (yes, where the live bands plays until 1230 am! And receptions are held, along with the public restrooms for these events) this room was a dungeon! We had never been in a room below the 5 floor. Which is doable if you are lucky enough to face to park. The rooms are musty and NEED to be updated. You would think being a historical landmark this place could get a grant to restore what was once a grand hotel.
The nicest part would be the spa and bathhouse, which are dated but the staff way more than makes up for that. They are so awesome and friendly. They take their time and let you soak up every moment.
We will continue to stay here I am sure for the very reasons listed above. If you are looking for more modern amenities this place is definitely not for you. If you are willing to just deal with it, you will likely enjoy.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank GeoffandCarrie
ArlingtonGM, General Manager at Arlington Resort Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Valentines weekend was probably the busiest we have seen the hotel in years and especially the entire area. I am truly sorry we were unable to move you from the second floor. I do understand on the second night that we were able to move you to the eighth floor for a more restful evening.

Appreciate your feedback and hope that you will give us another opportunity to be of service in the future.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

Many generations came here, makes me feel my mothers spirit, but this is the last straw. My husband and I continued tradition every year for 20 yrs. it has gotten so rough Man off the street almost punched us to take our chair(we actually BUY drinks) not like the rednecks upstairs looking over dance floor. They had 4 domino pizzas and 2 boxes of wine. Class!!
Upon checking, did they tell is that our room on second floor would be vibrating to the rednecks and band until 1 am every night?
No apologies. I miss my parents, but we will NEVER return. Bad plumbing, bad management, and horrible customer service. It is a shame that these local inbreds don't have any class to appreciate the heritage

Stayed: February 2014
5  Thank Sherri D

I was very disappointed and disturbed by the experience you had last weekend. Based on your loyalty it was a shame that we were unable to move your room from the second floor. We did in fact ask the individuals to remove the food and beverage from the public areas.

No matter what the circumstances are we have always strive for good customer service.

Please accept my apologies for the inconveniences caused and please accept the gift card I am sending you in an effort to win your confidence back.