“Overall good experience at the Clarion Resort Hotel on the Lake!”

Clarion Resort on the Lake
Ranked #17 of 45 Hotels in Hot Springs
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 28 June 2012

My family stayed June 23-26th, 2012 at the Clarion Resort Hotel in Hot Springs, Arkansas. We really enjoyed ourselves. The staff is very courteous and does a great job. The only negative is that the 'high speed internet' was a total flop!! It didn't work at all..the maintenance guy tried to fix it, but couldn't. Anyway, the best part of the hotel is the swimming pool. The eight foot deep part of the pool was fabulous and roomy for the whole family. The view of Lake Hamilton is second to none! I recommend this resort for any family. The beds was the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in!! Come on and see it for yourself!!

Room Tip: Ask for non-smoking for fresher air, and a room near elevators for quicker access to pool, etc.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 7 June 2012

The place is decent. We stayed there because of the boat dock and easy access to Lake Hamilton. If the boat wasn't in the equation, I would definitely have stayed somewhere else. I can't comment on the pool - didn't use it. The restaurant was okay - good service, reasonably priced. However, I would strongly recommend The Italian Villa just across the (busy) street.

The room was adequate and not more than that. Bad pillows, so-so bed. Mediocre toiletries.

There were three weddings going on that weekend so it was busy and very noisy late into the night as party-goers returned from all the receptions. Luckily we were exhausted from a day on the lake and were able to quickly return to sleep.

Room Tip: Not really sure it's worth the extra to pay for a lake view room. Many views are partial.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 June 2012

Excellent location right in the middle of everything Hot Springs! Close to restaurants, shopping, Lake Hamilton, beautiful view of the lake if you request a room with lakeside balcony. Friendly, helpful staff. Even though the Clarion Resort is an older building, the rooms are adequate, clean, and well-appointed. Large outdoor pool, and dock access to the lake. If you are staying in Hot Springs during the horse racing season at Oaklawn Park, make your reservations MONTHS in advance!

Room Tip: Rooms on the east side have a lake front view.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 May 2012

This resort/hotel is located on the lake with boat slips and plenty of parking. It has a large pool overlooking the lake and a playground. There are several picnic tables. It is close to the mall and all kinds of shops and restaurants. Would be great for the weekend or a vacation.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BJBall
Reviewed 5 May 2012

I booked two rooms for four guests. The room was clean, the staff was friendy. My room had a beautiful view of the lake. The air conditioner was not working properly, the bed was terrible and the room was small..NOT A RESORT!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank james C
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Having been a hotel manager for the last three years always colors my experiences at other hotels. First when we checked in the front desk was very rude. There was a younger lady and an older lady named "nancy". The younger lady checked us in but gave us no information, no directions to our room, nothing. She just handed us keys and a slip of paper with room number. So while my sister was checking in I talked to Nancy and she gave me info about breakfast(not included but she gave us 15% off coupons) , the pool etc. Neither of them ever said welcome, there was no call back to check on our room, there was no invitation to contact them with issues. The staff needs some training in guest service. The room was average. It was nothing special but it was not a bad room. It was clean. We paid a discounted rate for the wedding we were with I would not have been happy if I had paid over $100 like some of the other reviewers. I would not consider this a resort although it has a very nice pool that looks out on Lake Hamilton. The wedding reception was a bit disorganized and that was our fault. We added food at the last minute and put the staff in a bind. The server they sent to the reception room did a good job considering.I was a little put out that they added 18% tip to the bill.. I suppose this is their policy but honestly they would have done much to let us tip on our own. We were with a wedding group and there was a lot of confusion over what room rate we were suppose to receive.It seemed all in the party were paying diffirent amounts. They charge for the safe and although none of us used it...it showed on every bill. Please don't use a debit card..I am so unhappy with having to wait for authorizations to drop off my bill. Also if you pay cash there is a $25 deposit that you get back after room inspection. This is standard and actually cheaper than a lot of hotels .At breakfast we could not get service..the hotel was 100% full and at 8:30 am they had one server in the diningroom. We were told most of the rooms were with a convention and they had expected them to eat upstairs since their breakfast was provided.Through all of this I never saw a single manager..we checked out at 11 am and there was no manager at the desk. My friend went to the desk three times with billing issues..... They called the manager on the phone but no manager ever came to talk to him. It was just an average stay. Worst issue was lack of guest service. That young girl was back at checkout but we stood inline to have Nancy wait on us. They need a manager at the desk during check in and check out time.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
JEFFERY R, Front Office Manager at Clarion Resort on the Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2012

There was never any special rate set up for a grooup of rooms, just an agreement made for just the bride and her childrens room. The guests were charged for whatever room types they had reserved. The wedding was provided with everything that they had requested and contracted for. The bride did call us after the wedding and said she was very happy with the way things went and was apologetic for the way the staff was treated by some of the family members.

Reviewed 27 April 2012

As with other reviewers, I don't consider this a "Resort". I guess the proximity to Lake Hamilton and the other attractions in the Hot Springs area allow them to take liberty with the title.
My first room had no work space. After inquiriing at the front desk they told me I had been assigned to a handicap room. Now, I may be a little long in the tooth, but I don't consider mysefl handicapped (unless you happen to watch me attempt to play golf).
They moved me to an upper floor with a small outside balcony facing the lake with a work space (small table, but adequate for my needs).
I do want to commend the maintenance staff. I had an issue with the tub not draining properly during a shower and an over the sink light that flickered. They auguered out the tub drain and after trying several new bulbs, figured the problem was in the fixture and changed it out.

Room Tip: Ask for a room above the 1st Floor on the East Side
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business