“Nice, Clean, Smokers are a problem”

Clarion Resort on the Lake
Ranked #16 of 45 Hotels in Hot Springs
GreenLeadersGold level
Memphis, Tennessee
“Nice, Clean, Smokers are a problem”
Reviewed 15 August 2013

We went on a 3 day trip to Hot Springs with our two grandchildren. The staff was very helpful & polite, and the facility was clean. The pool was great. Our only complaint was that at every entrance their were people hanging out smoking when we arrived. They need to have a designated smoking place AWAY from the front entrance at least. I felt like I had to run the gauntlet of smoke when checking in. Not a very good first impression, but the staff made up for it with their pleasant, helpful demeanor..

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Checked in with no problems. The facility was clean and smelled good (I had read reviews saying there was an odor). Our room was clean. We had a balcony with a partial view of the lake and playground. There is a little tykes playground in the sand for the kids. The pool was clean and looks over the lake. The only disappointment I had is that the only lake access is on a boat dock in the front of the hotel. You cannot walk along the lake. The hotel is also right off the hi-way so it is not as secluded as it appears in the pictures on their site. The beds were really uncomfortable but probably about average for hotel beds. All the food at the hotel restaurant was excellent and the bartender/waiter was really nice. The only trash we saw was left by people by the elevator and a trashcan in this location might be helpful. Also towels at the pool would be wonderful.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Somerset, New Jersey
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Now, I know you may be coming to sleep, which is what we did...but let me just say, the on premises burgers were PHENOMENAL. Hotel check in went smoothly, pet friendly, first floor. Nothing extraordinary, but we slept well and it was quiet, which is what counts with a one night experience.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Kimberly D
Reviewed 2 August 2013 via mobile

We arrived at the hotel on July 1st we were going to be there for 4 days but ended up leaving the next. The hotel offers absolutely no service. The swimming pool was supposed to be open at 9:00 am and when we got down stairs at 9:00 it was still closed the front desk told us the were late cleaning it.
There was no sign or anything to inform the customer of the situation. And one of the door ladies was on the phone with a friend so we had to wait for the other one to become available before we could get the informations we were seeking.
There was no apologies they just told us" that that's the way it is"
We will never be back there for sure.
Oh one more thing there is a daily charge for having a safety deposit box in the room and they charge you if you use it or if you don't use it. Unless you let them know you didn't use it they will charge for it.
Shouldn't it be that they charge you only if you use it after asking you about it. I don't know... Bad experience !!

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Italiauno1

Travellers are raving about these Hot Springs hotels

Jeanerette, Louisiana
Reviewed 26 July 2013

I came too Hot Springs for my honeymoon, not thinking that I would have fun. No disrespect to anyone, but it's Arkansas, for a honeymoon, Really?. All I have to say is that it was way more than I expected. Clarion on the Lake has so much to offer. You can swim in the pool that overlooks the lake, work out in their fitness center, or eat at it's own restaurant/bar called Classics. There's even a private wharf for the hotel where you can go and rent a party barge for the day. This hotel is just full of entertaining things to do by yourself or with your family. I thoroughly enjoyed my trip. The best part is that it is the view from your hotel room if you get the Lakeview rooms. Lake Hamilton is gorgeous any time of the day. This hotel also sits about 10-15 minutes from downtown Hot Springs which I found to be very inviting and the people were just so polite and if you greet them with a smile and good morning, they will do the same to you. My stay at the Clarion was great and I can't wait to do it again.

Room Tip: If you want a total lake view, ask for a room on the far end of the hotel. Closest to the lake
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed 19 July 2013

We had a three day retreat for an adult school group and chose the Clarion. GREAT view and the roof didn't leak. From there, everything was down hill. Asking for a non-smoking room will do you no good. The building itself smells like an ashtray. The hallways smell bad enough to make you gag. You can have a room with a balcony view, but one of our balcony doors was locked shut because the balcony railing was gone, The place is dirty and worn out. Upon check-in, one of the party found the room hadn't been cleaned, desk clerk handed them sheets and told them to change the beds themselves. One member went to put bottled water in the fridge and found spoiled food already in the fridge. Rooms were small and in definite need of total remodeling.
Generally speaking, the staff was good, didn't use the pool, but it appeared to be ok. Didn't try the restaurant either. This used to be a wonderful place to stay, years ago, but now it is an embarrassment to the Clarion name, a name I've always trusted. We'll NEVER use this hotel again. It's a good memory from years ago, but those days are gone.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ORiley72076
sunburstSilverSpring, General Manager at Clarion Resort on the Lake, responded to this review, 24 July 2013
We appreciate your taking the time to provide feedback to us on your stay with the Clarion On The Lake.
We are truly sorry that we did not meet up to our usual high standards during your stay with us. We will be certain to use your comments to improve our operations.
Our post-event evaluation that we solicit from all groups indicate no reports of issues with odors in hallways, housekeeping, or service issues. We would never allow odors to linger anywhere in the Hotel, and it would never be the policy of the Hotel or appropriate service to offer linen to a guest to clean their own room.
The Clarion On The Lake is consistently a brand standards leader for the Clarion flag, scoring well above standards in every inspection category.
At no time has a balcony railing been missing. I am at a loss to understand why someone would say it was missing.
If I can be of any service to review this or any other comments concerning the Clarion Resort please contact me, I will address them personally.
Robert Gattin
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Me and my family stayed 3 nights at this resort. I have been coming here since this used to be a great holiday inn and had awesome memories at this hotel. I usually stay here at least twice a year but this time I was really disappointed. The room was filthy. Hair all in the shower and horrible stained up carpet and smelled like a wet dog. The pool was awesome as always and the classic restaurant hamburgers never a disappointment. The front staff is always a pleasure but this hotel needs some major renovations. We stayed 3 nights at almost $400. This hotel is always booked to capacity you would think with all the money they take in some updates could be done. Will I stay here again?? Maybe? But please clean up this favorite hotel of mine that my parents took me to and I now take my family.

• Stayed July 2013