“Relaxing room, great service, great view”

Clarion Resort on the Lake
Ranked #17 of 45 Hotels in Hot Springs
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 4 August 2009

I had read many bad reviews on this place, so I was a little nervous, but was nicely suprised. The room was very nice and clean. The bathroom was a little small. All beds were very comfortable. The view from both balconies overlooking Lake Hamilton was exceptional. The service was the best. I accidently lost the key to my safe and the manager came from home that night to open the safe, no extra charge. All the staff were very friendly and professional. There were many restaurants near the hotel within a short driving distance. I would definitely bring my family here again. I wish we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family

Reviewed 23 June 2009

Attended a group event that was booked here because of location on lake. Staff was very nice and friendly and room was ready when we arrived. Facility was acceptable, old but remodeled, clean room, good A/C, really hot water, comfy beds. Pool has no shade or umbrellas, too hot to use. "Lake view" rooms face east, view not bad. "Bridge view" rooms face west, overlook parking lot, Highway 7, and afternoon sun. No happy hour, no free breakfast, no newspaper, no free local calls, no didly squat, just a room & free ice. Thought rates were high for what you get; $100 weekdays, $120 weekends. Restaurant food was fair, service was good. This is a hotel, not a resort. At least the parking was free and a liquor store was nearby. Lots of chain restaurants within 2 miles. They automatically charge $1.10 a day for room safe, refundable at checkout if you read the fine print. For some reason, our eyes burned and watered the entire time we were in the rooms. We won't be back!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 February 2009

I booked a room at this "resort" on the lake for a weekend with the girls. We were getting spa treatments and thought it would be nice to stay on the lake in a room with a "lake view." DO NOT waste your money on the higher priced lake view. What a joke! If I leaned far enough over the balcony and looked to the right, I was able to see a small part of the lake and the bridge. The pool area was nice. We took a small cooler to the pool with us to keep our beverages cold. When they opened the poolside bar the staff came by to inform us we would have to take our cooler inside. That was a little annoying. If you plan on spending your time in the downtown/bathhouse row area, plan on spending a lot of time in traffic on the main highway. You are on the opposite end of town. Rooms are average. Definitely not "resort" quality. Clean, nothing special.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank peapickinjenn
Reviewed 7 January 2009

My wife and I booked this property while touring the south for our Fifth Anniversary. We saw the description on Hotwire, and thought that we were getting a good deal for the price. We actually saved a mere $10 by booking through Hotwire. The hotel was OK, but not a resort as described.

The hotel is located pretty far from Bathhouse Row, several miles south of town. The property does not look as run down as others described, but we did chuckle at it calling itself a resort.

Check-in was OK. The clerk allowed us to change rooms in order to get a king sized bed. The rooms were very clean, and the beds were comfortable. The micro fridge was a nice touch.

Overall, I don't think I got very good value for my money. This hotel falls somewhere between a Courtyard by Marriott and a Comfort Inn. It's not a resort. But, I'm not disappointed in my stay.

• Stayed: January 2009
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Publius2003
Reviewed 30 August 2008

Stayed there for a business meeting. Staff is very nice, helpful. Rooms need overhaul--cold water faucet in bathtub couldn't hardly be turned on with a vise grip. Air conditioner sounded like a freight train rolling through every night. Limited channels on the tv-did not include the weather channel which for travelers is important. Beds were ok--good pillows. On arrival, the carpets had just been cleaned and were still WET. I stay in Choice Hotel properties regularly with business travel and this one does not meet the standards as compared to the others. There is a club and restaurant on site which is a plus and the hotel itself sits right on Lake Hamilton but I truly just can't recommend this hotel. Rooms include a refrig and microwave which is a plus.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank DKLT
Reviewed 26 July 2008

I knew I was in trouble when I pulled into the parking lot. The building looked like something out of the 1960s. Upon entering the building, I noticed there was an obvious problem with the A/C. Not only did the A/C not work properly but one of only two elevators was out of service the entire 5 days of my stay. My experience only got worse when I opened the door of my room. I was hit with an overpowering smell of wet dog...and I didn't bring a dog! The room was the size of a small dungeon and was just as damp as I imagine a dungeon to be. It was so small that our luggage had to be unpacked and stored back in our car. Our toilet stopped up everyday so we had daily visits from maintenance. I could go on and on but the memories are too painful.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank benoitqueen
Reviewed 20 July 2008

I thought from the pictures that this hotel looked really nice and I was excited that it was going to be on the lake! Well it is beside the lake. One end of the hotel is beside the lake so if you stay on that end of the hotel on the back side, you will get a partial view. of the lake. It's definitely not anything to get excited about. I was disppointed upon arriving and thought that there was no way it looked as nice as it did in the pictures. It looks like it was new in '62 and even though it has been renovated it still feels old. There's nothing that feels good about this property. The rooms are o.k. I can't say their bad, they have been redone but it just felt like a cheap hotel to me. We were supposed to stay two nights but left after one.
If you just need a hotel because you are going to be on the lake a lot and you want something that's close to the lake then this would be a good choice.

Stayed: June 2008