“Worst hotel ever”

Ranked #34 of 44 Hotels in Hot Springs
Dallas, Texas
“Worst hotel ever”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2013

I have never left a bad review before but The Springs was awful. The only good thing about it was the location. We had NO hot water the first day and couldn't shower. Other guests said it had been that way for a few days. Even if we had hot water, we had to ask them to clean the bathtub because the drain was filled with hair and junk, not the plumbing or pipe itself, the actual bathtub drain. It was 80 degrees but there was no AC. The rooms are not individually heated or cooled and the staff said they couldn't turn on the air conditioner. The "mountain side view" was a view of rocks above the parking lot filled with trash. It had no sound proofing at all. You could hear every door nearby closing, the tv in the neighboring room, and the even though we were on the 7th floor we could hear people talking in the parking lot and the trash truck woke us up at 6 one morning. Their service was not very good and I'm not sure a manager even exists because no matter how many times we asked to speak to one they were never there and noone knew when she would be. They told us they were giving us a 20% discount when we checked out because of the problems but only gave us 10%. We've called about it twice now and I still haven't been able to speak to a manager, but they are "looking into it". It took us three calls to book the spa because apparently only one person can book appointments and she was never there and even though they promised to call us back it was after our third day of calling. The restaurant just says "open until close" which is apparently early because they were closed before 10 on Friday and Saturday night of Spring Break weekend. Everything else we did there was good, but avoid this hotel. Try The Arlington if you want historic, but one of the modern hotels a little further off would probably be better. We were not the only ones with problems. When I went to he front desk to complain there were two other very unsatisfied guests already there with their own complaints. I would really avoid The Springs.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Candace R
fvs111, Public Relations Manager at The Springs Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 18 September 2014
We are located in the heart of America’s smallest National Park at the base of a mountain. The mountain is filled with beautiful trees (not just rocks) and is quite steep, making it impossible for anyone to access it and leave trash. The weekend you stayed the hotel was full and a hot water boiler failed. We apologize. We fixed the boiler as soon as we were able but with over one hundred rooms (all taking early morning showers), it took some time for the hot water to be up and running. The spa is located on the second floor and is less than a minute away by elevator (making it quite convenient and accessible). If you had trouble reaching the spa by phone on a busy weekend, why did you not book your appointment in person? Trash trucks all over America make their rounds in the early morning hours, occasionally this an annoyance.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2013 via mobile

Our visit was over a long weekend. Overall, the hotel was comfortable. Everything in the room appeared very clean and kept.

Road noise was noticeable and parking was not as secure as I was comfortable with. The venting in our room picked up a heavy smoke smell from what we could tell was coming from the "Non Smoking" room next door.

I probably wont stay there again, but glad to say I at least experienced it.

• Stayed March 2013
Fort Smith, Arkansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2013 via mobile

It has been years since I have stayed at the The Springs, formerly the Downtowner. The decor is relatively unchanged, the front desk staff was efficient and our rooms were available when checked in at 3pm. We stayed in room 710 and 706. The rooms were large and clean, however decor was slightly dated. Our balcony was large and street facing, which is neat to watch people and traffic but can be noisy on busy weekends. Both rooms were king bed with 2 chairs, a desk and a tv/ dresser armoire. Bathrooms are small and need some rechaukling.

The location is great to the strip and everything is in walking distance. The only complaint I had the restaurant, they advertise room service but didn't deliver. The in room menu did not show a breakfast menu, so I walked down the night before to look at one. I wasn't able to take it with me so I took a picture with my phone. The next morning I called the room service number and after 3 unanswered calls, I called front desk and they explained that it was a private restaurant and could not control the service. I ended up walking down to the restaurant and ordered to go. I thought that the reason they didn't answer the phone was they were busy, but when I walked in only 2 tables had people seated. Again this was not the hotels restaurant but it did effect the stay. I had a spa appt at 10am and preferred to have a lazy morning with room service. Both our rooms had microwaves and refrigerators which were nice. Over all I would stay there again but would have much lower expectations.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank mbart25
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2013

Hello, When we go to Hot Springs, we have stayed several times at this hotel. It is always clean, nice people, very very helpful on area!! The only negative I could say, is the quality of the restaurant they have at hotel, PLEASE CHANGE! Also the Spa 135 (inside hotel) has bad hours & unreliable hours. "If" you get in, a VERY nice spa, but sadly run poorly. Could be a HUGE asset. Overall, if you visit, stay here, cliff side rooms!!

Room Tip: Wonderful bedding, get a "cliff side" room! They view can't be beat, plus a large balc...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank crispytommy
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2012

My children cried the minute they saw the room. The lobby was alright but did not match what was in the rooms. I thought I was in the movie The Shining. Old furniture, stained carpet, stained ceiling, uncomfortable beds. Bathrooms horrible. No lids for toilet. I told my kids to hurry up and go to sleep so the morning would come faster to check out. The staff was nice though. They're trying.

• Stayed December 2012
3 Thank sofakingweetoddit

Travellers are raving about these Hot Springs hotels

Arlington, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2012

Trouble in paradise – Hotel not pet friendly and here’s my story. I was passing through Hot Springs on my way to Texas and I decided I would stay in Hot Springs on my way back and I was traveling with my dog – Pookie Boy a mid size 44 pound mutt. I checked with the front desk in person to see if they were Pet Friendly and the answer was yes. Two weeks later I leave Texas and I call the hotel to confirm that they have availability and are pet friendly. Many hours later after a grueling drive I arrive at The Springs Hotel and Spa at midnight and try to check in but the desk clerk tells me – No can do! My Dogs exceeded the 15 pound weight limit. I explained to the night clerk I was never informed about a pet policy/weight limit and if such a policy existed why would the hotel management not tell potential guesses? I check twice that they weer pet friendly. They showed no compassion remember it was midnight, it was cold and I was exhausted. Please vote with your dollars and by-pass this hotel stay at the Arlington Hotel just up the street.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Ron D
virginiawilliams, General Manager at The Springs Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 5 December 2012
We are pet friendly - with a 25lb limit. Also if you're going to leave pet in room by itself for a while it needs to be crated, so housekeeping can do their job.
This is all posted on our website.
We apologize for the night clerk, they should have been polite and explain hotel policy better.
Richardson, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2012

Checked in on Sunday evening and tv in room was not functioning properly. Evening desk clerk said he would turn the problem into maintenance the next day. We had to watch program we didn't want to miss in the lobby even though we asked if we could change rooms. We were told that we could not change rooms. We were up and out by 9:30 on Monday morning to check out downtown and bath house row. Throughly enjoyed our experience at Buck Staff Bathhouse. Returned to our room around 6 pm. Our room had not even been cleaned. Beds not made, trash not emptied, towels not replaced--nothing was done. Checked tv and it was the same as it was before. So we went back down to desk and were told that cleaning staff went home. We were supposedly the only people staying for a second night so they would just wait and come back the next day to clean the 5 rooms that were used all on the same day. This is a 6 story hotel and only 5 rooms were in use on Sunday evening but we couldn't change to a room in which the tv was working properly. Now it was too late to check out and go down the street to the Arlington so we were stuck. Next morning we asked to speak to the manager (there is no manager on duty at night). She told us two different stories about the reason there was no clean up service in the room. She also got very huffy with us and yelled at us. She refused to give us the name of the owner of the hotel not did she contact the owner to let us speak with them. I am also going to contact the Hot Springs Better Business Bureau. One of the reasons this hotel was chosen was because of the "balcony" with a mountain view. The mountain view is actually over a parking lot! Also, there had been repairs made to the painted wall in the room, but the paint on the patches did not match the rest of the wall. Also, wood on balcony was rotting. There has to be much better hotels to stay at in downtown Hot Springs. I will not go back here.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank eileen t
We are sorry that your TV did not get fixed as you were told.
Housekeepers go home as soon as rooms are cleaned for the day. If there's a Do Not Disturb on a guest room door, then housekeeping does not go in and clean.
This is the off season and we only keep a limited staff on hand.
The wood on the balcony is not rotting-it's cedar & was painted a few years ago by previous owners. The manager has never yelled at anyone & tries to make all guests comfortable.
We hope you'll be more comfortable elsewhere.