“Great Location - Average Hotel”

The Springs Hotel & Spa
Ranked #35 of 45 Hotels in Hot Springs
Garland, Texas
“Great Location - Average Hotel”
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Stayed here for two nights during spring break. After reading the reviews, on tripadvisor, I was a little nervous, but took a chance. Overall, I'd give the hotel an average rating. Nothing outstanding, but not as bad as some people were saying. The hotel is certainly dated. If it were not for the new flat screen TV in the room, the room could have come from about 1975. Despite complaints of hot water problems on this site, we had no such issues. Room did not have a hair dryer, but a call to the front desk remedied that in about 5 minutes. We did not take advantage of the newly-opened restaurant, but it looked fine. Bar looked just okay, with a limited beer selection. Had a room on a smoking floor (I really hadn't thought to say non-smoking, since I have not had a smoking room for 10 years, at least). Smoking down the hall pretty much stunk up the whole floor. Loud next-door neighbors was a problem, since we essentially shared a balcony with them. I would guess we were the only room affected by their noise, however, so that is more of an issue with the guests, not the hotel. (neighbors dropped in at 2:15 a.m. for a little pick-me-up, I guess, then back at 4:30 a.m.) Location is wonderful, since you are within blocks of everything downtown. The beds could be better, but I say that about a lot of places. For the price, it is difficult to have much of an issue with the hotel. Could they do better? Sure. Is it a good price for what you get? Yes. Just don't expect five-star accommodations for a three-star price. That's just not the way it works.

Room Tip: Had a third floor "mountain view" room on the end away from the front desk. If I had my c...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Jonesboro, Arkansas
Reviewed 8 March 2014

I stayed here for two nights for a business trip to Hot Springs. There was some trepidation after reading negative reviews, but it was really a satisfactory stay. Parking is a little scary, since the lot is cut into the hillside behind the hotel. It is located about 200 yards from the site of the 1984 Arlington Hotel parking lot landslide which destroyed several automobiles. It did not inspire confidence when I noted a few large rocks that had slid into the lot. I recommend parking well away from the cliff. The hotel is definitely old school. The lobby is very nice; I did not avail myself of the restaurant. Front desk employees were friendly and helpful. Rooms were old and worn, but clean and the bed was comfortable. There was a burn mark in the carpet caused by a hot iron. The best feature of the hotel is that it is convenient to downtown and close to some good restaurants.

Room Tip: Apparently the mountain side of the hotel is quieter.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Rahrlebob
Reviewed 1 March 2014

We just returned from a long week-end in Hot Springs. It was our annual trip with 4 other couples to visit the horse races. We wanted to find a new hotel to stay in the downtown area. We chose the Springs and we were all very pleased. We had stayed at the Arlington in past but the owners have really let the rooms run down. We found The Springs Hotel to be an older hotel but clean. It has much better bathrooms and we were street side with nice view. The staff were all very nice and Lance the manager was very friendly and helpful. We had a great time and would stay there again. We ate several meals at the restaurant and the food was very good.

Room Tip: choose high floor street side
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jujuwy
Ozark, Arkansas
Reviewed 28 February 2014

My mom and I stayed here one night while my daughter visited the ASMSA campus down the street. This was the closest hotel, and it was also much less expensive than anything nearby. I knew from the rate that it would not be super luxurious, but on their website they stated they made $1 million in renovations in 2008. I don't think those renovations quite made it to our room. The bathroom looked original, but it was clean. The carpet, sofa, and bed covering were worn, but clean. I would recommend this hotel for people who aren't planning on spending lots of time in the room (old tv and not a good wifi connection) but want a good location. We were lucky enough to park right in front of the hotel but had to leave early in order to avoid a ticket. The back parking looked scary.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
arkansas
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We love Spring in Hot Springs and of course Oaklawn. The Springs Hotel and Spa is one of the few downtown hotels to offer one night reservations during racing season and at a reasonable price. Staying downtown is where you want to be. Art Galleries, Hot Springs National Park and clubs and restaurants within walking distance. If you want modern I would suggest one of the chain hotels, but you will miss the charm of downtown. Lobby very nice, rooms fine, parking acceptable, staff very helpful and onsite restaurant just opened. We didn't try it, as we have our favorites Angels down the street and Pancake house for Breakfast. Would love to stay longer and try the restaurant.
If you love downtown Hot Springs this is a great option. We do like the Arlington next door, but at twice the price and a two night minimum during Oaklawn decided to give the Springs a try. Glad we did.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front the balcony faces the street so you want on a higher floor. Quieter on the back w...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Arlington, Tennessee
Reviewed 24 February 2014

This is an older hotel, as the other reviewers have already mentioned. The lobby is quite nice, the staff is superb, and the location is great if you plan to enjoy the historic district. My take on the place:
*Considering the location, the parking is quite acceptable. It is free and the lot is well lit, and it is not too far from the back door.
*For the age of the hotel, the rooms are attractive and pleasant. The bathroom IS tiny and the receptacles are few and far between for today's standards, but all in all it was well appointed with a granite shower enclosure and granite counters in the bathroom and nice linens on the comfy beds. Nice pillows as well. The room was perfectly clean and smelled fresh.
*The cable TV is not the greatest, but frankly I didn't come to Hot Springs to watch TV!
*The location is great, with a nice little family restaurant either next door or two doors down. WE enjoyed hearing the sounds of the street, especially the horse-drawn carriages clopping back and forth, however, if you want quiet be sure to request a room on the back (mountain) side of the hotel. It was great being right in the historic district since we just walked out the door to visit the local shops...no messing with trying to find a parking place.
*For a hotel in this price range, I've never experienced such an attentive staff. NEVER.
*We had a bit of an issue with the hot water, but the hotel was completely booked for a volleyball tournament when we were there (LOTS of teenaged girls showering) and the old boiler just couldn't keep up, we just showered at off peak times.

This is not a 5 star hotel, but it is quite nice and it is competitive pricewise with a Comfort Inn or Quality Inn type motel. YOU CANNOT BEAT IT FOR THE PRICE. When you factor in the exceptional service, why go anywhere else? I hate that reviews have nit picked every tiny flaw in this place because it is a really, really enjoyable place to stay.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Hot Springs
Reviewed 24 February 2014

This property needs updating--just a little shabby considering there are other hotels competing for business. The best thing is that the location is right downtown near the springs and bath houses. The parking and reception areas are horrible and not at all secure.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Jennifer R