“I love this place!! It is not for everyone, but what is?”
Review of Happy Hollow Motel

and 1 more site!
Happy Hollow Motel
Ranked #15 of 45 Hotels in Hot Springs
Memphis, Tennessee
“I love this place!! It is not for everyone, but what is?”
Reviewed 17 November 2010

I first stumbled on the Happy Hollow after my beloved Majestic (sister hotel to the Arlington) closed. I loved the Majestic for the same reasons I love the Happy Hollow. ITS DIFFERENT!!! If you want a chain hotel with an indoor pool, jacuzzi and on-site restaurant, then this is not the place for you. If you want every room to be exactly the same and to be corporately polished, then this place is not for you. BUT... If you want a little hidden gem right in the middle of everything, eclectically decorated (possibly from your great aunt's garage sale), enjoying a complimentary snack basket upon arrival, all the video tapes you can watch and a great value especially for someone traveling with a 4 legged critter, then this is the place for you. It is an older motel late 40's-ish (I guess)style motor court and yes it has not had a full remodel since who knows when, but that is part of the charm. When was the last time you had glass blocks in the bathroom wall? A screened door to let in the clean mountain air? Each room having its own little porch that overlooks the happenings all while enjoying free wifi? So if you are a free spirit, adventurer, go with the flow kind of person than this is the place for you. If you want fold down service, valet parking and a concierge then look somewhere else stuffed shirt. :-)

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Thnkgrn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
McLean, Virginia
Reviewed 4 July 2010

The Place is old and smells funky. They were extremely rude for no reason.
We stayed one night and moved up the road to a friendly hotel. For just a few bucks more, it was well worth it!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
5 Thank hbarbara11
Kansas City
Reviewed 14 April 2009

This is a long one, but PLEASE read if you are ever planning to stay here. Also see the review of “Sad Sad Sad...” by Jacky-O and others that are similar as they are SO true.

Recently made a return trip to what I now call the “Un” Happy Hollow. My wife and I took advantage of their pet friendly policy and stayed there in 2007. While it was not by any means perfect then we still enjoyed the place. For the low price it was fine for what we needed at the time… rustic, off the beaten path, etc. We also at that time found the younger owner (or manager… not sure) we dealt with to be VERY nice and easy going. She had a dog as well and we chatted about pets among other things. It was a decent stay overall and we actually came away with some fond memories of the place and weekend stay which would be one of our last with our dog that has since passed. I believe any if not all of the positive reviews for this place HAD to have been under the ownership of these folks we met in 2007 and not with whom I encountered this last stay.

Returning this year (w/o our beloved pet, God rest his soul…) we unfortunately recommended the place to our extended family. So in the end my wife and I were responsible for 3 other rooms at the motel being reserved and bringing to the motel nearly $1500 of business for the weekend.

Just before turning in one evening we met another very nice couple staying at the motel and there beautiful dog just as they were checking in. What little did we know was that this 50-60 lb pooch would end up staying in the room directly ABOVE us. Yes… a large dog staying in an older motel with paper thin walls and flooring ABOVE another room! So, the night went without sleep while listening to the dog walk/play and tenants walk/talk above us get settled in and hang out through out the night. Also we enjoyed the very loud squeak of the door to the stairs each time the dog/tenants went out of the motel. Not a ton of barking, but enough. Then very early morning, we could hear again the door, dog etc. All of this even over a VERY loud window unit AND another fan!

Although tired and a little distraught the next morning, I called the front desk honestly confident they would alleviate this issue of having the large pet on a second floor either by having the tenant switch to another room elsewhere in the motel or even OUR room. Was I wrong! I first called and VERY POLITELY briefly explained the issue of the dog and noise and simply just asked if the couple w/ the dog would be staying another night. The elderly woman (not the owner from 2007) said she would check. I was on hold for 10 mins until I finally hung up and called back. Still being polite I asked if she’d found out the info I’d just requested. Hardly 2 words into my call the elderly woman SCREAMED at me saying “No, that dog did not bark!!” and that “I was wrong” and then proceeded to AND HUNG UP on me! Again I called back and began to explain it was not just the barking, but mainly the fact that the large dog was above us and that it was impossible not to be noisy. Again… she SCREAMED at me saying “No, there is not a problem” and that “I was wrong” and I was HUNG UP ON AGAIN! Finally I called again telling her of our past stay (where we and our dog were on the first floor and in the corner room of the motel) and that’d we’d brought her $1500 in business for the weekend and asking for a refund for the next night for my wife and I so we could stay elsewhere. Again, she screamed and denied any problem and of course denied a refund. No “I’m sorry” or anything close. Just screaming, yelling and being hung up on. ONE OF THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EXPERIENCE I’VE EVER ENCOUNTERED. Luckily the last night the tenants above us traded rooms with another one of their friends staying at the motel.

Other major complaints had by my extended family staying there… bad smells in the rooms, unusable room door locks, loud bedding w/ unclean sheets. And, there were no ‘Do Not Disturb’ signs. On one instance, one of the owners knocked one quick knock, opened the door and began to enter the room while we were there getting dressed!

Keep in mind too that during this ordeal, I’d called the Park Hotel just down the street about possibly moving to one of their rooms. Not only was the receptionist extremely courteous and kind she also said over the yrs she’s been at the Park Hotel that I WAS ONLY ONE OF MANY CALLERS THAT WERE TRYING TO LEAVE THE HAPPY HOLLOW. For an extra $10-$20 a night this will be our place to stay next time.

Yes the Happy Hollow may be cheaper, rustic, close to downtown etc. But “buyer beware” if by chance anything goes wrong. You will encounter some of the worst customer service that can possibly be found anywhere!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
8 Thank The_Revueman
Arkansas
Reviewed 14 March 2009

Hotel staff looks for a reason to be rude. Rooms old and musty. Only stay if you are a hermit or running from the law. Better rooms for the price available.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jalauryn
Texas
Reviewed 17 December 2008

The Happy Hollow Motel in Hot Springs is a real find! While it is older, it has a quaint '50's era feel to it. Despite it's age, the rooms at the Happy Hollow are very clean and the staff is wonderful. At $58/night with a full kitchen, it is a real deal. I would recommend it to anyone, especially those on a budget and those with children. We are returning again very soon.

The Hot Springs strip is right across the street as are many other area attractions. This is a great place to stay for those who like to walk, rock hound, see the city historic sights or for anyone just taking it easy and shopping!

• Liked — Cost, Charm
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Mehtxo2
Tennessee
Reviewed 8 December 2008

We stayed twice - once in the room with two double beds and the kitchenette and once with the single double bed and mini-fridge. Both times met every one of our criteria: clean, quiet, courteous staff, and close to what we came to do (hike). We were right across the street from our path.

The place is owned by a very lovely eastern European family, who have DVDs in the office if you so choose. The rooms also have dishes included, so don't bring any. This is a treasure for the money, and I almost hate to advertise its charm...

Also, we could walk down the main historic street in Hot Springs to the bath houses and pancake house for breakfast.

• Liked — It was clean and quiet.
  • Disliked — A little outdated but so what?
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank mrsterra
Terrell, Texas
Reviewed 12 October 2008

After reading reviews here, thought we would give this place a try. It is old, very old, and funiture is old. BUT, it was clean, price was GREAT, and lady at desk was nice. We talked to a few other guests that felt the same way.
We paid $126 total for two nights on a weekend. It is about a hundred yards from the 'strip' so you can walk to shops, restaurants, clubs, etc....
We will go back at sometime in the future.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple