“Not a typical National Park Experience” 4 of 5 bubbles

Hot Springs National Park
Ranked #9 of 72 things to do in Hot Springs
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“Not a typical National Park Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

I would call this a National Historical Area before I'd call it a National Park. It's wonderful in it's own right, and I think the big attraction is bathhouse row. It's a wonderful tour of historical buildings with some really stunning architecture. The town is surrounded by beautiful scenery. We toured the Fordyce Bathhouse, which is a must see. We also did a few trails up to the mountain peak, which was really beautiful! My favorite part.

It's a very humid place. The trails were not always well marked. Luckily most of the ones nearby are not really long. We skipped the observation tower as there are many wonderful views of the Ouachita Mountains that are free.

Parking is free on Sunday. Maybe everyone else knows this, but I did not and put $2 in the meter. Best to check & make sure at the city visitor center, which is not the Park visitor center. This is a quaint place, more for people who enjoy historical sites, main street shopping, and spas. Natural beauty abounds for sure, but that doesn't seem to be the main attraction.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Okc
120 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“Great little park”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

This is a nice little park. It was around a downtown area. I took the kids on a hike and they enjoyed it quite a bit. There were multiple trails with different level of work. We'll worth it.

1 Thank Mcaltom
Oklahoma
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Nice hike in the middle of town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

We enjoyed the short but steep hike to the top and took the elevator to the top of the observation tower. The view was spectacular from the top. We visited the bath houses and small shops on bath house row. It was a nice stroll. We really enjoyed all the small mom & pop stores and cafes along the way.

Visited December 2013
Dallas, Texas
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Small but determined”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

Hot Springs National Park is the smallest in the National Park System. I wasn't really there for a NPS experience, I was there to see my cousin, so I didn't mind the lack of pizazz that a lot of the other National Parks have. We had a great day hike of about 6 miles over trails ranging from easy to moderate, and all trails seem to lead to town, where refreshments await. The campsites seem to be well maintained and the ranger staff, like everyone I met in Hot Springs, were really friendly. I had a great time, but if you're looking for a boffo NPS adventure, Hot Springs may not be for you.

Dallas, Texas
73 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 154 helpful votes
“Historic, Beautiful and Interesting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

This national park is unique in several respects. It's the only national park I know of in the middle of town. The history of the facilities and the springs provided alot of insights into the culture of our country during Victorian times. And our ability to examine the sights up close, walking inside and around the grounds, helped my family and me better imagine the experiences of those attending the springs for medicinal, theraputic and rejuvination reasons when they were so touted.

It might sound boring, but it's really not at all. Plan on spending 11/2 hrs or so. Then, enjoy being in town. It's a really beautiful place. Can be hot in the summer, but spring and fall are ideal.

There's no admission to the park, but you need to find parking in town. I believe camping is available in part of the park, but we've not done that.

Visited April 2014