“Updated Menu!”

Hunan's Palace
Ranked #45 of 274 Restaurants in Hot Springs
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Updated Menu!”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I've always enjoyed the Hunan Palace. It isn't the best Chinese food in the world but it's certainly the best in Garland County.

Everything I said in my earlier review still holds true. Great service, very nice atmosphere, very clean and well appointed. Good attention to detail in table service, etc.

Usually, my wife and I order hot tea with our meal but today we opted for sweet tea, (pre-sweetened iced tea for y'all not fortunate enough to be southern.) and surprisingly, it was the freshest, best sweet tea I've had in years. Better than even what we can make at home. It may sound funny, but the tea alone was worth writing a new review!

But the real reason for this updated review is the updated menu. There are many new and interesting items on the menu now, including several variations of duck. We ordered the Almond Duck and the waiter, a gentleman who has served us before and used to teach a cooking class at the Asian market next door, recommended we try a different duck dish and I didn't catch the name of it.

The dish however, was a very delicately fried duck breast served on a bed of the typical veggies one would expect, and covered with a very nice, rich, brown sauce. This dish was exceptionally good. I've had oriental duck dishes in some of the finest restaurants in Hong Kong and the meal I had this afternoon was every bit their equal. Perhaps the presentation was not quite so ostentatious but the food was flawless and the portions were quite generous. My wife and I were very happily stunned!

The meal came with a choice of soups and we chose the Hot and Sour which is always very good. Again, the best in town. Along with a couple of egg rolls that were very good and very fresh.

I strongly recommend, if you like such dishes, get out there and give it a try soon.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Ken_Cook

Hot Springs, Arkansas
“Excellent, Fresh, Tasty, No MSG Dishes”
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

My husband can have no msg and this is the only Chinese restaurant we have found in the Hot Springs area that meets this requirement. The food is fresh and tasty. It is the cleanest restaurant around, even the restrooms! We enjoyed our lunch and will return.

Visited May 2014
“Palace? Shack”
Reviewed 13 February 2014

We had eaten at Hunan Palace before and were satisfied with the restaurant. Now, after having bought sauces and spices at the Asian Market next door, we decided we´d have a quick lunch at Hunan Palace.
We ordered green tea, but they had none.
Jenny ordered an egg soup, then potstickers. I wanted the Fried Bean Curd dish.
They had no Tofu. No Tofu? Nope.
OK, then vegetable fried rice.
The egg soup was barely warm. In a gelatinous liquid, several egg white strips languished. The potstickers were warmish, but their taste was good.
The fried rice was not quite cold when it arrived Eaten very quickly, it filled.
Hunan Palace. No wonder the Chinese stormed the palaces and hung the occupants. We will stick to buying more ingredients at the very fine Asian Market next door to the Palace, going back home and assembling them in our own kitchen.
Bummer, all down the line.

• Visited February 2014
“Keep going back!”
Reviewed 13 December 2013

We started going to this restaurant last year. Have tried 3 other Chinese restaurants/buffets in town and we like this one the best. The food is good, service is good, and the atmosphere makes you feel like you ARE in a Chinese restaurant like the ones we grew up with. We might eat at one of the others occasionally but this we like this one the best.

• Visited December 2013
“Great Hunan Cooking!”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I always enjoy eating here. Good service and very good food as well.

The atmosphere is surprisingly nice, you can actually forget you're sitting in a strip mall while you're there.

The food is cooked without an overabundance of MSG. I don't know if they use any but if they do, it's very little as I'm pretty sensitive to the stuff. Some of the dishes like the chow mein are very subtly flavored and mild for those who prefer such things. If you're looking for something bold and spicy there are plenty of dishes that will suit your palette as well.

Very clean and comfortable, a great date restaurant!

• Visited August 2013