“Nicely redone”
Review of Steinhaus Keller

Steinhaus Keller
Reserve with OpenTable
Steinhaus Keller is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 288 Restaurants in Hot Springs
Price range: US$15 - US$50
Cuisines: European, German
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Long an institution in downtown Hot Springs, this restaurant has been completely refurbished and refreshed physically. The food has returned to a high standard of traditional German fare.

2  Thank travellets

Reviewed 9 November 2013

I wanted to love this newly renovated restaurant that replaced the German restaurant previously in the same location. On a positive note, they have a great selection of German beers and our waitress was very knowledgeable. She asked each person what other types of beer they liked and made recommendations on that basis. I like both of the beers I tried, as did others in our group. I've spent a considerable amount of time in Germany and I like German food -- my rating of this meal was that it was pretty good but there is room for improvement. Although the Weiner Schnitzel was thin and the batter was crispy, it was also underseasoned (lack of salt, I think). Not bad, just not on par with dishes I've had in Germany. The mushroom soup was good. The warm cabbage salad (highly recommended by our server) wasn't too appealing to me, but it was to other members of our party. The spaetzle was pretty good. Other members of our group tried and really liked the sausage plate (one as a meal and one appetizer) and the chicken dishes. The sauerbraten was not well rated by the person who tried it: lacking in flavor. Both desserts that we tried were less than spectacular. The apple strudel tasted artificial, although it is supposedly prepared by a very fine, local baker. The Black Forest cake was a good, light chocolate cake but I detected no cherry at all, neither kirsch nor actual cherries. All in all, the beer was great and the food was good enough to be worth another try. My big complaint and the reason for the 3-star review is that although we were there on a week night, with only three or four other tables filled, our meal took 2 1/2 hours. There were numerous extremely long gaps before the next course (or the next beer) arrived. No apology or explanation from the server. We were with several friends, and we were enjoying the company, but there was no excuse for the very lengthy delays given that there were few other guests in the restaurant. In many ways, this would be a perfect place for business functions that we regularly host, but not with service this slow. My plan is to give them another try to see if we just hit them on a bad night. Another positive that I failed to mention is that the prices are extremely reasonable. That's another reason that I would really like to see this restaurant work the kinks out and become a really excellent option for Hot Springs diners.

3  Thank ArkansasOrchid
Reviewed 6 November 2013

It's like being in a German Pub, laid back, relaxing pace, great German beer and AMAZING, delicious food.

Reviewed 26 October 2013

This is the first time I've tried the place, since it opened in May. The food is OK, but it isn't remotely like the German food, for which it is named. My Jagerschnitzel was an overly breaded and probably frozen piece of pork, with very little flavor. The Jager sauce likely came out of a jar, had ver little flavor and didn't have a trace of any mushrooms, which are mandatory for Jagerschnitzel. The goulasch had very little flavor, except for way too much salt. I spent eight years, in Germany, and just reurned from a two week trip. I know authentic German food and the Steinhaus Keller doesn't have any. The service was mediocre, as well. After the waitress brought bread, we discovered we had no eating utensils. I took them from another table. We saw very little of her throughout our meal.

1  Thank TankerSam
Amanda M, Owner at Steinhaus Keller, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2013

Dear Mr. TankerSam,

We appreciate you took the time to come down and give our restaurant a try. We are disappointed that you had a bad experience. It is certainly our goal to provide the best. I have spoken with the staff and we will strive to provide better service and quality. Hopefully, you will come down and try us again in the future.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

We keep trying to like this place but it's never lived up to expectations. The staff was nice, food was mediocre at best.

1  Thank Michelle S

Dear Ms. Michelle S,

We appreciate your business as we know there are countless restaurants to patron. We are certainly disappointed that you have not had a good experience. Our goal is to have everyone smiling when they leave. We have been undergoing some changes based on customer feedback and we certainly appreciate yours. Please give us a try in the future.