“Love this place”

Lookout Point Lakeside Inn
Ranked #1 of 45 Hotels in Hot Springs
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 25 October 2007

Lookout Point B&B is a wonderful place. I have a fear of going too far from home and I had not spent the night out of town in more than 5 years. After visiting Lookout Point for a day-long meditation retreat a few months ago my girlfriend and I decided we wanted to get married there. The food is great, the rooms are great, the beds and pillows are unbelievable, the view is great, but most importantly the staff is wonderful. Due to their kindness and relaxing atmosphere I was able to spend the night at Lookout Point (1 hour away from home) on our wedding night and we are sure to go back.

Concerning the post below...they have clearly marked signs stating that the property is non-smoking and that a $250 fine will be charged if you smoke on the property. I am a smoker and I did not mind going through the trouble of walking 50 feet up the hill and across the path to smoke.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank beasley3423

Reviewed 25 October 2007

My fiance and I visit Lookout Point as often as possible, turns out to be 3-4 times a year. We can't get enough of the luscious gardens, spacious rooms, delicious breakfasts and gracious hosts. As soon as you arrive on Lookout Point property your breath is instantly taken away by the arts & crafts style building, wildflowers and picturesque view of the lake. Lokout Point is so serene and pampering, my fiance and I fall more and more in love with each stay. And the best part...I can bring my dog!!!

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LuvinArk
Reviewed 25 October 2007

My husband and I stayed in the new condo they just opened...what a beauty. We hardly ever left it except for the wonderful breakfast provided at the inn in the mornings by the two most gracious innkeepers. We could watch the day go by on the balcony and then head over to the inn for wine and dessert in the afternoons. Its a little slice of heaven.

Stayed: September 2007
1  Thank rhtheo
Reviewed 25 October 2007

Lookout Point is without doubt the nicest hotel I have ever stayed in. The owners are so gracious and accomodating--they gave us great advice about restaurants and other sites to see in Hot Springs. The grounds are absolutely beautiful and immaculately kept. Each room has its own personality but they are all extroardinarily nice. Fresh gourmet food prepared by the staff was just fantastic. I couldn't give the property a higher recommendation.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 October 2007

We had a lovely stay here until we checked out and received our bill. On a tab of about $7500, the hosts had tacked on another $1800 miscellaneous fees! It was unbelievable..I would never recommend this inn and I will never stay here again. My advice:
Don't stay here if:
1. you are a smoker--we were charged $500 smoker penalty even though our smokers walked up to the street to smoke..but they disposed of their cigarettes in soda cans in the trash--this caused a "stench". $250 of this fee was removed.
2. you drink de-caff coffee--I stayed here 4 nights and each morning I had to knock on the kitchen and ask for coffee.
3. you have children--we were charged $200 for a set of sheets that the children "ruined". We took the sheets to the cleaners and had them cleaned for $5.00. The $200 fee was removed.
4. you snack in your room--we were also accused of "trashing" the room--when asked for verifcation of this, we were told there potato chips on the floor.
5. you are with a large group--we were charged 15% surcharge for our stay..Wednesday night we rented 4 rooms, 15% surcharge; Thursday night we rented 6 rooms, 15% surcharge; Friday and Saturday we rented all 10 room, 15 % surcharge. This is opposite of most establishments which actually give you a group discount.
6. you expect privacy: when we paid our bill, the hosts were very non-discrete about whose room was a mess, who did this, who did that.
7. you expect your sheets to be changed! $25 sheet changing fee on one room.

We are not a rock band or a soccer team..We are a family that was in Hot Springs for my daughter's wedding. We are college educated adults with 3 children under 6. It was very shocking and left us with negative feelings toward this beautiful inn.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with family
10  Thank TxNana
Ray R, Owner at Lookout Point Lakeside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2016

Since this review was written several years ago, I wanted to bring Trip Advisor readers up to date on changes at the inn since these complaints were received. With only a few years of attempting to accommodate smokers and non-smokers (which did not work well), we changed to being a completely non-smoking property years ago, and instituted a $500 fee for any guest choosing to smoke on the property. Now smoking guests walk to the residential road (about 100 feet away) in order to smoke. This change has really suited our guests well, and we no longer have the smell of smoke entering the building.

With large groups, we have created a comprehensive contract that spells out clearly all charges, and if the guest makes changes to the contract, both parties must sign the adaptations. No longer can we rely on verbal communication with a group--every small business learns and adapts along the way. We still have a small fee added for groups for several reasons: groups require much more work than booking rooms with individual couples (rooms are typically messier, furniture rearranged, much more alcohol consumed, etc); groups rarely leave a tip for housekeeping whereas many/most individual couples appreciate the attentiveness of the housekeepers and leave a tip; and since we are virtually always full on weekends, there must be some way to compensate for the additional staffing requirements, especially during the highest of seasons. Which explains why there is no discount for groups. We now have a Group Manager that works with all of our groups to ensure clarity and work on mutually satisfactory rates.

Decaf coffee is always available for our guests, both in the individual Keurig-type coffee maker located in the snack bar, and freshly brewed prior to breakfast. We are happy to provide this option. We've also added a lovely variety of high-quality loose leaf teas.
It is always our goal to speak with persons in private when a rare, difficult situation arises. Since this situation, with messes that are inappropriate to describe here, we no longer allow children under the age of 6 to stay in the inn, although families with young children are welcome in our Lakeview Terrace condo.

Over the years, we have received some of the nicest and most thoughtful people in the world, and we are so grateful that 99% of our guests are great folks. If a rare issue arises, we will do anything humanly possible to resolve the problem and make it right!

Reviewed 19 August 2007

This property is even better in person and definitely worth the money we paid. The location is superb and the rooms are extremely clean and comfortable. The garden and waterfall in the back of the property that overlook Lake Hamilton are perfect for reading a book or just relaxing...doing nothing never felt so good! We stayed there on the hottest days ever in Hot Springs(105 degrees) yet I still was able to set out back in the shaded-swing next to the lake and read a book. Coffee was great every morning...complimentary refreshments/snacks were perfect...breakfast showed a lot of effort(strawberry French toast, fresh grapefruit juice/orange juice).

My wife and I travel a lot and have stayed in very nice hotels in Chicago, San Diego & San Francisco but none have been as good of a value as Lookout Point. While this was our first B&B we will certainly look for a comparable B&B BEFORE a 4 Star hotel on our next trip to anywhere(as long as its a nice as Lookout Point).

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 August 2007

What a beautiful place this is! I could tell from the pictures on the website and the reviews from past guests that this would be a special place, but it truly exceeded our expectations. My husband and I regrettably only had one night to spend here as we were traveling through from Dallas to visit family in Arkansas. It seemed like a nice, romantic retreat to escape to for a night and it certainly was! When we arrived a bit earlier than expected, we were greeted in a friendly manner and felt completely welcome from the start. Just in time for the wine and appetizers, we were shown around the grounds and told to feel free to use the number of amenities available (including games, puzzles, snack bar, canoe, to name a few). Our room was just the right size for two, not too spacious, not too small. We even had a cute little patio/balcony with rocking chairs to enjoy a gorgeous view of the beautifully landscaped gardens and lake. The bed was cozy and the shower was wonderful (with "rainwater" shower) and big enough for two! We enjoyed an absolutely delicious breakfast in the morning (the French toast was so good we bought a cookbook for the recipe!) while watching the birds (woodpeckers and cardinals) outside the window. We even had time for a short canoe trip around the lake before checking out. The innkeepers really go out of their way to make this an exceptional experience all around for their guests. They are truly blessed with a beautiful place of retreat and gift of hospitality. If you are looking for a special place for a romantic getaway or just a fun escape to get away from it all, this is definitely the place to go. We have stayed in a number of bed and breakfasts around the country and this was the loveliest experience we've had. I know we will definitely be back!

Stayed: August 2007