“A Simple Treasure”

Park Hotel of Hot Springs
Ranked #31 of 45 Hotels in Hot Springs
Reviewed 30 April 2012

I returned to the Park Hotel in April with my daughter. I love the simplicity and vintage appeal of the place. We had a corner room on the fifth floor facing the Promenade. The weather was cool and being able to open the crank styled windows created a wonderful cross breeze. Our room featured a couple of antique tables and some local prints. It was comfortable and spacious. The bathroom still had its' original tiles but was very small. No problem. The slant backed and quite deep bathtub was a delight. I would suggest this hotel because of its' location, its' charm, and to get a break from the rubber stamped rooms of a chain. Visit in the early spring or in the fall because the air conditioning needs work. I would suggest to the hotel small coffee makers in the rooms; however, coffee was offered free at the front desk. The staff were friendly and laid back and the feel was homey.

Room Tip: Corner rooms provide the best ventilation and views.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Fierysol
There are newer reviews for Park Hotel of Hot Springs

Reviewed 22 April 2012

I booked this hotel because it was within walking distance of everything we wanted to be near with the exception of the race track. There was actually a shuttle available for the race track. I was a little concerned after reading some of the reviews but we were with 3 other couples and figured we could endure one night if it was bad. I was relieved to find the hotel lobby charming with its vintage decorations. There is a bar in the lobby with flat screen tv and the bartender was very accomodating by letting us watch our ballgame. We did not eat at the resturant but it seemed very busy and the aromas were very tempting. The rooms were plain yes , but we were not planning on spending alot of time in the room. The bathroom was fine, with the only complaint being that the shower stall seemed small. We were able to sit outside on the patio and enjoy the great weather that night and again the next morning. The staff was very helpful and friendly. .

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevator.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank HOWNICE5
Reviewed 3 April 2012

It looks charming on the outside and in the lobby, that's where it ends. The rooms are very plane, they really need to find a decent interior decorator for them. I image they are trying to keep the room decor to the 1920's, it seems to fail. Upon checking in, we where informed of a $11 Energy Fee we had to pay, that wasn't included in our price quote when we made our reservations. Norm. when we stay at a hotel I don't use the bedspread that is on the top of the bed, but their is norm. another blanket underneath. Not in this case :( I see one person left feedback has to the place not having to AC. It does, but you have no control over it. We looked around for a thermostat didn't find one. Then that night it came on and stayed on all night, I was cold (the days where up to the 80-90's but at night it was in the 60's). I norm. don't use hotel bedspreads, but had to resort to it at night. My husband did get up on a chair and close the vent (above the door), it helped a bit. It ran non-stop at night, but not during the day, when it was needed most. On the up side, it's right next to the park, behind the Arlington and thus close to the main hustles and bustle of town. The staff is friendly. Our son had just had some othro. work done and was limited to what he could eat. We asked the clerk if she could heat some mirco. soup we bought at the store for him in their employe microwave and she was more then willing to-do that. When getting on the net, I think it was Netgear that worked. I couldn't get the one the Park one to work.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 March 2012

This is the second time spent at the Park Hotel. Granted this 1920's hotel is well, old but it held a certain quirky charm for us the first time. The lobby is beautiful which gives you hope that the rest of the hotel and rooms hold that same charm. The first time we stayed we got a corner room that faced the park. The room was clean but not especially charming. The staff were all very helpful and friendly and someone is at the desk 24 hours a day. We enjoyed our stay enough and the hotel's location that we thought we would go back and stay there for spring break. I am disappointed to stay that this time will be our last. We booked a room for a 4 night stay. We checked in and were given a room that was amazingly small. As we unpacked out luggage we decided that there would be no way to spend four nights in a large closet. We looked at four different rooms before we finally found a room that was big enough and with a mattress comfortable enough to spend four days in. The Park Hotel does not refund deposits and will bill your credit card if you do not stay. I still must say the staff are very friendly and helpful. The rooms are clean but in desperate need of fresh paint, carpet, better mattresses, towels and decorating. We didn't have a bad time but I just can't justify the cost of this hotel with the quality that is lacking within it's rooms.

Reviewed 25 March 2012

My husband and I stayed overnight at this hotel during a visit to Hot Springs for the horse races. I booked on Hotwire.com. I knew it was old from the description online so I wasn't expecting anything birght, shiny and new, however, I was expecting something different (I'm not sure what). It was next to the famed Arlington Hotel in downtown Hot Springs, but I mistakenly thought it was near the horse track which is one of the reasons I booked here. However, that was my bad, as I didn't look closely enough at the scale on the map on Hotwire. But it was directly downtown Hot Springs and close to Bath House Row and the historic district, which is a plus for this property for those interested in proximity to these kinds of things. Apparently, we were given the last pick of all rooms and were told it was all there was left (although in the boxed shelves behind the desk, there were more empty boxes other than the one that was designated for our room). It was directly over the dance club, and being such an older property, it was poorly insulated (we also heard everything going on in the room next to us and I'm sure they did the same). The room was definitely older in decor but more like decor from the seventies, rather than the 30's (when it was supposedly built). The furniture was more like cheap furniture someone would buy for their house rather that commercial grade furniture you normally see in hotels (It was more like furniture one might buy at a garage sale, not that there is anything wrong with furniture bought at garage sales, but I just expect something different than that at a hotel). The sink was stopped up and had to be used strategically used to avoid overflowing. The room seemed clean. Alltogether, the price was right at $100 for the night but I've stayed one other place that was comparable in amenities, for about $40 a night. If you want the experience of staying in an older property close to downtown, but for less money that the Arlington, you might give it a shot. I won't be staying there again.

Room Tip: Get there early.
2  Thank jodiluvsthesun
Reviewed 13 March 2012

Arlington is noisy, regardless of room price. Park is quiet, calm. Excellent Italian restauraunt. Beautiful antiques all over. Gilt beveled mirrors, some very large. Recordings of tenors singing opera in lobby. Class. Honeymoon suite is a prize: large jacuzzi room, fridge & microwave, large living room, big outside balcony overlooking the park, nice bedroom.

Room Tip: Park side, street side is prettier.
1  Thank richard j
Reviewed 11 March 2012

My husband and I were taken in by the pictures online and the quaint, picturesque lobby. Our hopes were dashed as soon as we walked through the door of our room. The room was very plain and uninviting, without so much as a curtain at the window or a picture on the wall. When we turned on the water, the sink immediately filled up and would not drain. We complained to the staff and were reassigned to a different room, which was just as unappealing as the first. The staff did not even offer to help move our luggage to the second room. Things only got worse from there. We found black flecks of something and hair on the sheets, and the bathroom looked dirty too. We were so nervous that we ended up going to Walmart and buying new sheets and Lysol! We completely stripped the bed and put on the new sheets and sprayed down everything in the bathroom. The hotel was extremely noisy all night with drunk, loud guests shouting up and down the halls until the wee hours of the morning. The walls were very thin and we could hear every word spoken all around us. Terrible night's sleep. The shower was so small you could barely turn around in it, and the towels were very thin and small. On top of all this, they tacked on an $8.00 energy tax to our bill. The staff was very vague when we asked what this was for. I don't know what it meant. In short, we would NEVER again stay at the Park Hotel and will tell all of our friends not to stay there. I couldn't wait to leave the next morning.

4  Thank Mollie M