“Step back in time”

Ranked #27 of 45 Hotels in Hot Springs
Sodus, New York
“Step back in time”
Reviewed 9 April 2008

I was there for a week. (4/1 thru 4/7) I had a nice corner room on the third floor with a great view of the park on one side and a view of the Arlington on the other. Comfortable queen bed, very clean bathroom with a shower and tub, and a great sitting and reading chair by the window. The lobby was a blast from the past with a very good Italian resturant and a nice small marble bar. This is a 1930's old hotel being brought back to life. The people are very nice and are doing a fine job of bringing it back.
The historical district of Hot Springs is a step back in time. Open up your mind and step back and enjoy the days of old !!!

Stayed April 2008

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
new england
Reviewed 7 April 2008

Wish I had done my homework before I arrived in HS. I stopped at a bottom tier chain motel among all the others 6 miles from downtown where I paid 85. for a room overlooking the parking lot! Moved the next day, for less money I had a park view room, easy walking distance of downtown Hot Springs-the room was quiet, clean, and comfortable with wireless internet. The staff went out of their way to find an open restaurant on Sunday and and provide info. Old and a little tired, yes, beautiful view and convenient, you bet!

• Liked — location, staff
  • Disliked — restaurant closed on Sunday
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled solo
Louisiana
Reviewed 26 March 2008

My boyfriend and I decided to stay here on just a weekend trip. I read the reviews and decided for myself that this would be an appropriate place to stay for our trip. Upon arrival, we had trouble finding a place to park. When we entered, the staff was very friendly. The inside lobby looked very nice. There was no air conditioning, so we tried opening the window. One side of the window was jammed, so we could only open one side. There were hairs in the shower, so I just washed them out. The light for the sign of the hotel was directly above our window, and so at night, it was like daylight in our room. Luckily, I had brought an extra blanket, so we hung that in the window to block out some of the light. There were stains on the floor and in the tub. When I took a shower, the paint would peel off the shower and get stuck to me. One of the pillows had stains on it. Besides that, however, the view was great. We could see right out into the park. The price was good, however, considering the condition of the room, I'd day the price is for the view. Although the hotel has made some improvements, I believe that there is still several improvements that need to be made.

• Liked — View/Location
  • Disliked — Air/Stains/Light in Window
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank apollocy22
Memphis
Reviewed 24 March 2008

We stayed at this hotel on March 22nd, 2008. From the very beginning of booking our reservation up until we checked out, we had nothing but a plesanat experience with the staff at this hotel. The rooms were clean and the view was great. The hotel staff went out of their way to make our stay comfortable, bringing us anything we needed.

We had dinner at the italian resturant downstairs and everyone enjoyed their meal.

We have already made our reservation with this hotel for our next visit to Hot Springs.

• Liked — Ambience of Hotel Lobby and Staff
  • Disliked — Carpets were old, but clean
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with friends
Judyray
Reviewed 21 March 2008

I had read mixed reviews about this hotel but I decided to try it anyways. They were accommodating when I needed to bump our stay one night.
It was very hard for me to get past how dirty our room was. I first noticed stains on the carpet and random hairs from the previous guests but it wasn't until we turned in for the night that I saw a terrible stain (most likely feces) on the underside of the comforter. We were completely grossed out but luckily I brought a throw blanket and pillow so I just used that. We asked for the bedding to be changed and it was. The next night we left at about midnight to go home because there was just a creepy feeling of what could be on that bed and we couldn’t rest comfortably.
There are only blinds on the windows so the room stayed pretty bright and there is not really any climate control.
The location is good and so is the price. You just have to weigh what is important to you.
We also enjoyed Capone’s and Pompeii, I would recommend both,cool bartenders and friendly staff.

• Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Judyray

Travellers are raving about these Hot Springs hotels

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 20 March 2008

We stayed the 16th and 17th of March in room 302. This room is a queen w/shower in the front of the hotel with a view of the Park. It is small by american standards but we just used it to flop after a day at the races and St. Patricks's day celebration. The bed was fine and the shower worked well. There was a little paint peeling here and there but no rust on any of the fixtures. The worst feature is lack of individual thermostats. One word of warning--there are not many dining options on Sunday night in the Historic district. I'd like to give props to Capone's Ohio Club. It is under new management and we had a great time there. I would stay here again. We usually travel on a budget and couldn't find a better deal than $74 per night with free parking.

• Liked — Location, Rates
  • Disliked — Heat&Air
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
Fort Smith, Arkansas
Reviewed 16 February 2008

The lobby of the hotel is beautiful and the restaurant exceptional. The hotel is getting a long overdue face-lift. There were painters and carpenters working on several of the floors as well as replacing worn out mattresses.
The room was very clean, but one can tell the renovations are being done on a small budget. The shower curtain rings are all mismatched and the sheets are nearly transparent. The shower-head is pathetic. It sprays a mist rather than a stream. It reminded me of the showers we had in the Army. The bathrooms are VERY small, but quite clean.
Heating and Air Conditioning is basically non-existent. There is only a vent on top of the door to get air movement. There is not even a ceiling fan. However, the front desk was nice enough to provide us with a fan.
My biggest issue was that the housekeeper left my door unsecured after she cleaned the room. I had a very expensive laptop and other valuables in the room that I was lucky were not stolen.
A traveler who stays here should expect to get a clean room and good staff who are eager to please. The room rate is fair and if one likes historic hotels, they would be very pleased. If one is looking for modern conveniences and up-to-date amenities they should look elsewhere.

• Liked — The historic nature of the hotel
  • Disliked — Very noisy elevator woke me up several times during the night
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple