“Disgusting hotel I wouldn't board my worst enemy in this place!!! It was an episode of Hotel Hell!!!”

Park Hotel of Hot Springs
Ranked #32 of 45 Hotels in Hot Springs
Reviewed 27 March 2013

Outside of building dated as to be expected! Went in to find the lobby and bar did not appear too bad! We then stepped into the elevator and I noticed the smell of odor neutralizer, which became stronger and stronger as we made our way down the hallway to our room! Once in the room the smell of "odor ban" was so bad we couldn't breathe and our eyes/noses were burning! Everything in the room was very dated and in extremely poor condition!!!! The room was dirty and the smell was too much! Polish on the furniture was gone, no coffee pot, couldve got a better tv at the thrift store for free, towels were hard/small, bathrooms were terrible, and parking lot was very sketchy!!! Within 15 minutes (14 of which I spent on hold with Expedia) we had made our way back downstairs with suitcase to complain and check out!! The manager and staff were unwilling to make any exceptions to a 100% payment of 2 nights, even when I offered to pay a cancellation fee! I was also told by staff that odor ban is what they use to clean and that I would find this used in every hotel! I know odor ban neutralizes odor and does not kill bacteria! I booked this awful hotel on Expedia and would never recommend using their site unless you know EVERY detail of the destination!!! I've recommended Hotel Hell tape an episode here! Also I feel for any bride who's stumbled across their website and found their wedding link!!!

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank Lallenrn

Reviewed 16 February 2013

We spend a lot of nights in hotels throughout the world - but I have never been asked to pay an Energy Charge as a seperate item before. The hotel is old, very dated and appears to be run on a 'shoe string' - we did read reviews before booking - so no excuse.
But like others we did wish that we had not booked the "Park Hotel"

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 November 2012

We booked this hotel in August for a stay on November 19 based on Internet information. The cancellation policy is 48 hours prior to stay, which didn't seem to be a problem when it was booked - sight unseen. When we arrived, the hotel was totally unacceptable - not well maintained and parking, although close and free, seemed much less than secure - so we did not stay. We were billed anyway.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 October 2012

This wonderful historic hotel is a treasure that I hope lasts. It has a few quirks, like you have to call downstairs and ask them to turn the heat or air on for your floor; then your controls are just more or less hot/cold air. But the windows actually open for pretty days which is nice. The owners have been working on the renovations for the past year and they are coming around nicely. The rooms are huge and well-appointed with then historic hotel in mind. There is a big walk in closet and a LOT of drawer space (which is lacking in most hotels these days). We did not get to try the restaurant, as we were there on as Sunday night, but it is supposed to be good. The hotel is an easy walk to restaurants. We will stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask fo a scenic view
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 October 2012

Some of the reviews on this hotel were pretty scary, but the price was right and the location was perfect for what we wanted, so we took a chance and booked it. It was nice to be a block from bathhouse row and right at the National Park. The hotel is old and not gorgeous outside, but he lobby and bar and main stairway is really very nice. The room we had was larger than we expected for an old hotel, and it seemed quite clean. The bed was very good. The hotel was quiet, although not very full. Staff was nice. Free parking right next to the hotel was a plus. Overall a very good value and we would stay there if we return to Hot Springs.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 October 2012

The Park Hotel is a small, funky, quaint hotel. We just spent a weekend there & it was one of the best mini-vacation ever. The person who complained about "no parking" must be blind, because the Park has a lot right by it, for self-parking, for FREE. We took our dog along & had a fine time walking the Grand Promenade right across the street. The restaurant, Angels in the Park, is fabulous, and the 20% discount coupon was a nice surprise. There's a small bar that is very cozy. I also like that it's pet-friendly, so we were able to take our dog along on the trip. The staff was accomodating & attentive but not intrusive. For example, a room near us had an alarm clock going off. I called the front desk, and within 2 minutes someone was there & turned it off. Comparing the Park with the Arlington....the Arlington has the nice veranda outside, 2 pools that are sometimes open, and a great lobby/bar, but that's all it has on the Park. The Park just has a comfortable ambience that we really liked...without all the pretension of the Arlington, and the rooms are every bit as good. We had a "king mini-suite" corner room on the 6th floor & it was very nice. The windows even open up to allow fresh air, weather permitting. Give it a try, but don't be expecting a 5-star hotel. Just get into the vibe of Hot Springs & you can have a fun time like we did. You won't be paying 5-star prices either. The only reason I did not give it an excellent rating is because it is old....but that's ok! It was clean, comfortable, and just right for us in every way. Love, love, loved it!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the street-side, with a view of the Promenade. Upper floors are better.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 September 2012

I became weary upons reading TripAdvisor reviews, but booked anyway through Hotels.com, who made very clear of the energy charge applied upon checkin. My wife and I had a queen room with a shower and didn't mind the old furniture, small space, or ancient decor because being so close to all the places we visited, it was worth the risk. We didn't eat at the restaurants but receiveda 20% discount coupon from checkin. I would like to see how well other hotels (Arlington, Austin, The Springs) compare, but I will consider The Park again on our next visit.