“Solid for the money”

Ranked #15 of 16 Hotels in Cortez
Hilton Head, South Carolina
“Solid for the money”
Reviewed 30 January 2013

My wife and are halfway through a 2 month roadtrip and finally decided to try one of the really cheap, albeit lowly rated motels to see how they really stand up. We aren't picky and can't help but think the people writing some of these reviews must be.

The room is everything we could need, comfy bed, clean sheets, microwave, mini frig, cable tv(old tv but who cares, it works). Certainly has an old smell at first, but nothing nearly enough to bother either one of us. When you go to the cheapest place in town, I don't know what more you could ask for. It shows its age but who cares. Would I pay $25 to go stay at the super 8 or whatever, no. The slight upgrade in quality would not be worth it to me. If i came back, I'd stay here again.

Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dmphoto84

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 27 September 2012

the owners obviously have no concern about customer service or cleanliness. the laundry/ice machine room was horribly filthy and rundown. one morning the office was not open at 7 a.m. for the scheduled continental breakfast- opened a half hour late. and only weak coffee was available- nothing else. the second morning there were some tiny packaged pastries from a dollar store but they were stale.
the carpet and bathroom floor were filthy. furniture was decrepit. the room desparately needed a deep cleaning.
it's on a noisy highway but the fan was able to drown out traffic noise.
there were some positives- the room had a fridge, microwave and 60 tv channels; surfaces were clean and the bed was comfortable enough. no bugs. and the internet rate was decent.

the property could be decent if only the owners cared about cleanliness and customer service.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank whomever

Travellers are raving about these Cortez hotels

Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed 14 August 2012

The motel is located about 15 minutes drive from Mesa Verde. It has standard facilities in the room, including a microwave, and a pool outside, which we didn’t use. Breakfast in the form of cheap muffins was tasteless and the receptionist not very welcoming but I’d recommend it if you’re looking for something cheap.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fandorin
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 31 July 2012

I feel sorry for the owners of the National 9 Sand Canyon, in Cortez, Colorado. They seem to be terribly poor people trying to run an old, worn-out motel. Here's what happened:

I checked in, glad to spend less than fifty dollars on a room. The carpet was strewn with bits of trash, and the room was filled with flies as if it was cursed. Knowing what I know about how to fool flies, I shooed most of them out the door, reducing their number to a quietly buzzing pair. I thought about naming them and keeping them as pets, but was distracted by my need to set up my new computer. The troubles began.

Their network ID didn't work, so I went to the desk to ask if it was a misprint. The lady said it was, and I tried the new one. This ID was accepted, but then the network asked me for a username and password. I asked her if she could tell me what these were, so I could get on the Internet. She said there was a problem with my computer. I gently told her that it was the motel's network asking for a username and password, but she, poor lady, didn't know a network from a motorized tricycle. She kept telling me that since the pop-up window was on my computer's screen, my computer was obviously broken. This went on for a good long while, until I realized I would not get the Internet connection that I had paid for. So, I asked if I could get a refund. She said yes, as soon as she looked in the room to see if I'd done any damage.

Entering the room, she said, "look, the carpet is dirty. I cannot rent the room tonight, so you must pay ten dollars." I told her the carpet was like this when I came in, and I hadn't had time to get this many kinds of trash into every corner of the room, since I'd only been there 20 minutes. I pointed out that some duct tape over the gaping hole the air conditioner was resting in would keep flies out, but she kept repeating herself, grasping for the ten bucks. I figured it would be a bargain to pay her the ten bucks, if it would get me out of that godforsaken hellhole.

So, I got my $39 refund, and was nice about it--I didn't think much at all of the motel, but I couldn't help feeling sorry for this person who was getting bad service from her own staff, and who wasn't able to do basic tech support for the network her son set up (he was out of town). She looked like she'd had a long, hard, miserable life, and I feel conflicted about telling this story. But NOT telling you would lead you into the same trap: the unsanitary, no-Internet-havin' pit of misery that is the National 9 Sand Canyon, in Cortez, Colorado.

Room Tip: Try none of the rooms, and that will be a good one.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank CWCrowley
Prescott Valley, Arizona
Reviewed 29 July 2012

This place was listed on one web site as "hidden value." There is hardly room to park a vehicle and the room was cramped and unclean. The floors were uneven and I did not dare to go barefoot on the floor. There was only one outlet and it had multiple pigtails which looked dangerous. The refrigerator was not plugged in and you could not reach the outlet to unplug one of the multiple plugs to get it plugged in. I asked the owner about it and he said he would come an look at it-he never did.

I can only surmise that the reviews I read were written by the owner or someone who had a vested interest in the motel. My suggestion is to go elsewhere when in this town.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank kimjady
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 14 July 2012

We were very disappointed in the room! Maintenence has obviously been very neglected or not done there for years. The carpet is very dirty looking and worn out. The bathroom floor looked like it was falling in around the toilet. The curtains on the window could not be closed all the way. The walls are filthy. I have to be honest,I think the housekeeping was very good considering what that poor staff has to work with. The tub etc looked clean.
After leaving the room for a few hours to sightsee we went back to the motel and checked out that same evening-did even spend the night. We stayed at another hotel in town.
The man at the desk was so friendly I did have the heart to tell him all this so we just left.

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Christchurch
Reviewed 12 July 2012

We stayed here in June. We were travelling with 2 teenage girls so had two rooms. I felt uneasy about them being on their own as the door to our rooms didn't close properly. The plug for the air conditioning unit was hanging out of the wall and looked very dangerous. The bed was comfortable but the sheets were ready to be thrown out. The genrous breakfast thye talk about was some tiny muffins and some sort of pastry item. There was no juice or yoghurt or cereal. We felt that the whole complex was ready to be pull down and started again, I wouldn't stay here again. The Italian restuarant next door was very nice though!.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family