“Dirty Breakfast Area”

Ranked #15 of 16 Hotels in Cortez
Norther Central PA
“Dirty Breakfast Area”
Reviewed 19 August 2013

The best feature of this place is the owner's friendliness. He was a super nice person. We booked our rooms online and got a good price, but it's all downhill from there. We had a two room suite having 2 double beds in the bedroom and a pull out double sofa in the other room. this place was extremely run down. I don't mind old but I want it to be clean! In our room, the curtains were shredded and stained. The bedspreads had stains. The blankets were threadbare and almost worn completely through in spots, plus they had food stains. The sheets, towels and washcloths were clean...that is the only reason we stayed. The carpet was old (not an issue) but it was badly worn and very dirty. The bathroom, although dated and with chipped and peeling paint, was clean. However, it only had a little less than half a roll of toilet paper with no spare.

Our daughter and her son had a single room with a double bed. The curtains were fine but the
carpets in her unit were disgusting....holes, stained, dirt in all the corners. The bed linens were were old but appeared to be clean. Towels, washcloths and bathroom were clean but there was less than a 1/3 of a roll of toilet paper with no spare.

Parking was a horrible nightmare.....tight, cramped like a sardine can, more like a walkway. Our room was around back which only had one entrance/exit. We got back there and there were no spaces to park and not enough room to turn around, so we had to very carefully back out of this maze of buildings and cars.

There was a small pool. Although we didn't use it, the water appeared to be clean and clear. However the deck was chipping away.

If I had seen the breakfast area before booking our rooms, I would have gone someplace else to sleep or slept in my car. Breakfast consisted of juice, coffee or tea, small plain bagels with butter (no cream cheese), toast and mini muffins. The preparation area was filthy and tiny. Only one person could fix their breakfast at a time. The coffee pot looked like it had never been washed. Even the stir sticks and plastic knives were in dirty containers. There was one table that sat two, and a low, square coffee table in front of a couch for two.

I am not a fancy person. I like to travel cheaply, and if that means giving up luxuries, that's okay. But the breakfast area was the straw that broke the camel's back. If I'm ever in the area again, I will go to a higher priced motel because I will never return to this one!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ladymedonna

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Buda, Texas
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I have to give this little motel a good review because the accommodations were great. The hotel is old, and you might be put off by that if you're extremely picky. It still needs some work, but room number 9 was excellent. The bed was firm, the bedding was very nice, the air conditioner was very cool and quiet, and the bathroom was immaculate. The only thing that the manager hadn't yet been able to replace was the carpet. It was old, but clean.

The motel has WiFi, a great television, and is close to everything in Cortez.

The manager is sooooo nice. He helped me with a reservation snafu and loaned me his laptop and telephone. It was an altogether very nice experience, and the price was just terrific.

Room Tip: The way the hotel is configured, all the rooms are probably equally quiet, but room number 9 was esp...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank BurninDaylight
glendale
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We had made reservations there, because we have stayed in other National 9 Motels and they were very clean and well attended to, but not at this one. As we looked at the outside exterior of the motel and the windows, we choice not to even go into a room. The parking was rediculous; no one pulling a trailer, as we were, could begin to get in or out of there. We refused to even stay, which cost us the first night. I would not recommend this motel to anyone.

Room Tip: Don't be persuaded by pictures and a good price
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank paula s

Travellers are raving about these Cortez hotels

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed 4 June 2013

Dimly lit lot. Arrived late. When I was checking in my daughter told me a man was checking car doors, checked ours and our gas tank too. Manager inside was rude. We went to our room and my daughters black-light lit up protein/sperm in the sheets and on the floor. One bed had some black specks on the sheets when I uncovered the bed. With the Hotel.com operator on the phone I went over to the bed to describe them and the little flecks were not there anymore. BED BUGS had moved!!! My daughter then informed me that she had been bitten. (My ex-wife is still pissed!) With Hotel.com resolution lady still on the phone I went to the office and Hotel.com Lady asked the manager to cancel my reservations with NO penalty. Manager who called himself "Bob" told her yes and cancelation confirmation was faxed to him by Hotel.com Lady. With Hotel.com operator still on the speaker of my cell phone Bob then told me he was going to charge me a cancelation fee. He was rude and argumentative with her and with me and she finally insisted that I leave.
I feel cheated. I went to a hotel property (Recommended by a Cortez Police Officer) that I believed to be a good and safe property and it was Not. I treat all people with respect and I was disrespected and treated rudely by Bob. We had driven 14.5 hours and were tired, only wanting to go to bed and could not. Hotel.com found us (as did my ex-wife) a GREAT hotel just a few blocks away. And that is our new Cortez spot!
Cortez Mesa Verde Inn is where we stayed. A well loved motel that we Loved!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank Hans P
Reviewed 12 April 2013 via mobile

Not the Hilton but I honestly have no complaints. It's inexpensive for a reason and you must understand this when staying. Yes it's old and outdated but as long as everything works and its clean and bug free I'm ok. I travel extensively and stay in motels/hotels 325 nights a year and I realize you get what you pay for and go on. I probably wouldn't bring the kids along but wife and I were ok with it. $39.99 plus tax for 2 people. TV was not a flat screen but larger than most box TVs and got 60 channels. Micro/fridge worked just fine. It was quite and peaceful at night so we slept fine.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank harryscards
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 17 March 2013

When I went to check in the man at the front desk sat there and asked "what do you want?" I was put off by that but my boss made the reservations so i decided to stay. They say the WIFI is free but when I asked for the password the guy said it was an additional $20 for the 5 nights! They also advertise for a free fax machine, when I asked to use it he told me it was $1 per fax. when I have 6 pages, it adds up. Its a cheap hotel that tries to squeeze evey dime out of travelers for stupid things that they say are free. they also advertise for free continental breakfast. All they had was luke warm coffee. no cream no sugar. Next time i will spend the extra buck to stay elsewhere. this is a total dump. needs new paint, the shower had mold in it, the sink did not work half the time. 2 of the 4 light bulbs in the whole room were burnt out. the tv remote did not work. NOT WORTH THE HASSLE NOR THE MONEY EVEN AS CHEAP AS IT IS!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay here, rooms suck
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank peta5100
Hilton Head, South Carolina
Reviewed 30 January 2013

My wife and are halfway through a 2 month roadtrip and finally decided to try one of the really cheap, albeit lowly rated motels to see how they really stand up. We aren't picky and can't help but think the people writing some of these reviews must be.

The room is everything we could need, comfy bed, clean sheets, microwave, mini frig, cable tv(old tv but who cares, it works). Certainly has an old smell at first, but nothing nearly enough to bother either one of us. When you go to the cheapest place in town, I don't know what more you could ask for. It shows its age but who cares. Would I pay $25 to go stay at the super 8 or whatever, no. The slight upgrade in quality would not be worth it to me. If i came back, I'd stay here again.

Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple