“all of the little things done poorly”
Review of Days Inn Cortez

Days Inn Cortez
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Cortez
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Cortez has a certain amount of charm but all of that is locked out of this hotel. I am used to a certain level of accommodation when I stay at a Days Inn hotel, but I must say this one was the worst. The room was a good price, but dated and lackluster. I was in a non-smoking room but when I climbed into bed there was a conspicuous cigarette burn hole right through the bedspread right by where you'd rest your head. It had clearly been laundered since it had burned, but apparently nobody thought of repairing it, replacing it, or at least move it to a smoking room. The cotton bath mat was wet when I laid it out in the morning, so it either had not been in the dryer or more likely, not been washed at all and merely hung up wet and dirty on the bathtub. I got treated to a blast of scalding hot water in the shower followed by an equally cold one right after - just the once though because I sped up my shower so I wouldn't have to deal with that again. Also, if you are not going to supply both shampoo and conditioner, maybe spring for a conditioning shampoo? God you should have seen my hair that day! The room was not particularly clean - the vacuum hadn't picked up much lint, and the room was not very quiet either. The free breakfast was okay but the hot water thermos for tea and hot cereal had cooled and apparently the two staff in the room were too busy talking to bother with replacing that. This hotel needs a makeover and a shakeup. There are lots of choices in Cortez, don't put this near the top of your list.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
kjz1970, Front Office Manager at Days Inn Cortez, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2015

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am sorry that your stay was not up to our usually high standards. Since your last stay we have done many things to improve our hotel. To name just a few.. We have fixed the water problem so that there will be no more scolding hot issues. We have also put new carpet, furniture and bedding in all of our rooms. Please stop by again the next time you are in the area and check out the positive changes that have taken place.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

My family stayed at Days Inn Cortez for three days. It was absolutely perfect. The room was clean (no stale cigarettes smells) and the staff was accommodating. The room had everything we needed. Coffee maker, fridge, microwave, TV, and a hot shower. My son was very excited about the waffle-iron. If it was up to him we would have had waffles every morning!! But since we had a delicious breakfast waiting for us downstairs, there was no need. We had to have one family waffle night though. There are quite a few restaurants nearby and Shiloh Steakhouse was my daughter's favorite as food was made to order each time. That was quite a feat since she's such a finicky eater. My husband loved the mountain view and the historical sites, not to mention the great rates. We both appreciated the park area so the kids had some space to run around and play. My personal favorite? The hot tub. Can't wait to visit again.

Room Tip: We stayed on the bottom floor for the kids. So I would advise the upper rooms for a quieter trip.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay with us at the Days Inn of Cortez. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. Just to let you know since your last stay with us we have done some renovations. All of our rooms have new carpet and new furniture in the rooms. Please come by and see the great changes the next time you are in the Four Corners area.

Reviewed 17 October 2013

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn
kjz1970, Front Office Manager at Days Inn Cortez, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2013

Reviewed 17 October 2013

I was refered to this Inn by my daughter who stayed there in August this year. At first i was not sure if we as elderly people would be comfortable there, but the Days Inn was very comfortable, clean and convenient. It was pleasant to have a fridge in the room, meaning we did not have to go out shopping too often during our three day stay. The beds are comfortbale and the service staff was very polite. Thank you for a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Days Inn of Cortez. I am glad you found our staff polite and our rooms comfortable and clean, and the location of the hotel seems to have been perfect for you. We sure did enjoy having you stay with us and hope you will return next time you are in the Cortez area.

Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

After a long night driving through southeast Utah, I approached the Cortez Days Inn with the same amount of dazed wonder as the guys who rediscovered Mesa Verde itself in the 19th Century.

I consider myself a Days Inn connoisseur, if such a term is allowed to exist, but this was a different layout than I've ever seen before. You can tell it's a vintage place - sprawled layout and with some unorthodox parking spaces. You can tell it's vintage which is charming for me. Inside my King room, the bathroom sink/window was in the room itself, as opposed to a little partitioned area like I usually see. Bathroom/shower was almost Japan-size, again showing the traces of a pre-super-sized populace. ("Who were the mysterious architects of the Cortez Days Inn?") But the room was modern enough to have a fridge, which I put to good use. Nice bed, too.

Kitchen was a bit more standard Days Inn, DIY waffles, packaged pastries, etc. Staff was friendly - one was even giving suggestions on where to live to a guest who was moving to the area. And coming in at night hid the beauties of the mountain scenery - a nice surprise.

Best of all was the very short drive to Mesa Verde. If I ever return, I'd pick this place again. A reliable, inexpensive hotel near an amazing site - brilliant strategy!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
kjz1970, Front Office Manager at Days Inn Cortez, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our Days Inn Hotel in Cortez Colorado. I really enjoyed reading your review. Thank you for recognizing us for what we take pride in. A comfy bed, good breakfast, friendly staff, and our scenic views. Mesa Verde is just 9 miles away. We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 3 October 2013

Stayed here Oct 1, 2013......The receptionist was nice and friendly. The rooms were clean but so tiny, especially the bathroom. You could literally sit on the toilet and your feet would touch the bathtub with your knees at a 90 degree angle. I recently had knee replacement surgery and two months ago I never would have been able to bend my knee enough to use this bathroom., The door hits the tub on the way into the bathroom. On a great note, there is a super Mexican restaurant within walking distance from the motel : Fiesta Mexicana. Great service and great food.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

First off I would like to thank you for taking the time to review the Days Inn of Cortez. I am glad you found our rooms to be clean and our staff to be friendly. Secondly I apologize the bathroom was not more accommodating to your needs. We hope you will stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 1 October 2013

I stayed here for an overnight getaway - don't laugh, I know it's Cortez, but sometimes you just gotta get out of town! The staff was VERY helpful and friendly. Also, they allow pets and they have their own "hotel dog". The pool was pretty nice, great for sunning. The rates were pretty cheap too for a hotel in Cortez that has all the amenities and allows pets (average breakfast). I would stay here again.

Room Tip: I think that there are rooms around the back that may be quieter, but I am not sure.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at the Days Inn of Cortez. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Just to let you know we have recently renovated all of our rooms. They now have new furniture and new carpet. We hope that you will think of us the next time your in South West Colorado and come by and see the great changes that have taken place since your last stay.