“Excellent Choice”

Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Cortez
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Excellent Choice”
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Excellent choice and very convenient to Mesa Verde. Bedroom was very comfortable, and the overall accommodations were very attractive and tasteful. Very nice breakfast buffet with many choices Be sure to eat at the Denny's restaurant next door.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Justin V, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mesa Verde-Cortez, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
AmyL1953! Thanks for the AWESOME review!!! Denny’s is open 24 hours a day and that is hard to beat! I hope you are somewhere warmer than here, its -4 degrees right now, but should warm up to be a beautiful clear, Colorado winter day! Come back soon!!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Horsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 December 2013

Booked very last minute, having stayed way longer than expected up in the Mesa Verde National Park, so arrived later in the day, tired, hungry and thirsty.

Charming Receptionist proved very helpful, efficient and warm.

This Holiday Inn is not exactly the same as others we have stayed at. Different shape, front, and sides, and Room configuration which included a Lounge up on the 2nd Floor (US 2nd Floor that is). Good, clean spacious room with all mod cons, and parking right outside.

At $128.55 for our Room, we felt it was a bit over priced for what it was - albeit there seemed to be fewer competitors/options locally. It was quite full too.

We missed Breakfast, as we wanted to be at Mesa Verde Nat Park gates at opening time, so cannot comment, but we did manage to take 2 sizable Cups as take-out and 2 bananas. Thanks.

Dinner was enjoyed just up the Road (Receptionist recommendation) at the 'Dry Dock Restaurant' - odd name for somewhere so far from the sea, but hey ho. Very good too.

Room Tip: Room 231 looked out at the Hills of the Mesa Verde, so whichever on that side, would be my choice.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Safariholic
Safariholic! Sounds like a great addiction! So glad you stayed with us and thank you for the compliment. IHG has been understanding with us when it comes to individualizing ourselves and we certainly love it. I am glad you were able to take some breakfast items to go! The Dry Dock is a good restaurant, and so is Koko’s Friendly Pub and Grill just 100 feet away!
Colorado
Reviewed 16 November 2013

We walked in last weekend and had a young lady very helpful and warmly to welcome us. Cortez is one hour away from home, perfect get away for a night. Neg.: door noisy, may be they should educate their guess to pay attention! That night, neighbors didn't pay attention at 5am and doors slammed for a while!!! :-(

We ate at The Farm Bistro and ran the single bike Bean Creek Loop near by McPhee in Dolores.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MissBuzz
Justin V, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mesa Verde-Cortez, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
MissBuzz!!! Thank you soooo much for reviewing us! I love your icon! Sorry we had some doors slamming, I wish we could find a way to solve that problem and meet Fire Safety and more importantly, Guest Expectation! The Farm is a Favorite here and we are wondering if you tried out Phil’s World? Please come back soon!!
Neptune Beach, Florida
Reviewed 8 November 2013

We stayed here after a trip to Mesa Verde, en-route to the Grand Canyon. This place had a bad feeling from the moment we stepped into the lobby. There was a horrible mildew aroma. The place was eerily quiet for early evening. The security warnings in the room were excessive to the point of making me unable to sleep. Warnings about opening the door, etc., etc., I have never seen anything like it. We were in a room by the stairwell and all night long I heard doors slamming. I have no idea why there was so much activity all night long in either the stairwell or the room across the hall. The activity was excessive. The room was a weird disappointment. A huge heart shaped hot tub in the corner of the room, sticking out like a sore thumb....very strange location with no appeal at all. The vinyl drape was stained with something that looked like dried blood. The best thing about this hotel was that I could check out and leave.

Room Tip: Just avoid this place
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank WDPope
Justin V, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mesa Verde-Cortez, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
WDPope. I am not sure how to take this review. I am also unsure of the right thing to do when a person says you are “Creepy” and attempts to tell millions of people not to go to your business.. Am I still obligated to be inclusive, warm, understanding and sympathetic? My gut says that is always the right thing to do, but sometimes, that little devil on my shoulder tells me to be defensive and attack the person attacking you. WDPope, you are causing me to struggle, thanks for pushing the envelope with me on doing the right thing in abnormal circumstances, and thank you for taking the time to review us.
I am not sure if we can take responsibility for your emotions, but I can take responsibility for not including you more in our fun and friendship which we offer everyone who comes here, that is definitely bad on us. I will scour the lobby for a mildew smell and have one of our two (Angel & Bessie) full-time lobby cleaners look with me and we will make sure there is no mildew anywhere. The security warnings are written for us by IHG (Intercontinental Hotels Group) for the sole intention of looking out for your safety wherever you are. It is well intentioned and often informs and gives good advice to unseasoned travelers. I understand it was Excessive to you and prevented you from sleeping, and I am sorry that there are jerks in the world that make taking precautions like this important. As for doors slamming in the stairwell, we have two issues there. We are required to have self-closing doors with a certain “Poundage” or gauge of pressure as they are fire doors and must be able to close and latch unaided. We cannot put any cushioning in there as it is also a fire hazard and violates the code. “Lightening” the required pressure will make it close quietly but it will not close all the way or all the time, something that also violates the fire code, which is there to protect everyone in case of a fire, god forbid. I am sorry for this and will look again for another way to deliver fire safety and quiet. I am sorry you did not enjoy the hot tub in your room, we thought you would enjoy the free upgrade and were wrong. Hot Tub Suites are not for everyone :c

When I read this the first time I thought it was a gag, or a late Halloween prank. Then I realized, that if you were joking you would not have given us a one star rating and told everyone not to go to our Hotel. I took the room Out of Service and we (the owner, myself, the head housekeeper and two housekeepers) did a Complete Strip on the room and looked for the stains you mentioned and could find none, but we did find dust on top of one picture and some lint behind the bed so it was worth it!

I hope you give us another chance at including you and making you feel more comfortable, that is certainly a failure on our part and should you choose to give us another chance and winning your heart, Please come ask for me, I will introduce you to all our wonderful staff and tour the room with you to make sure your comfortable and give you my cell phone to call should you have any concerns or need anything at all. I hope the rest of your trip is awesome and thank you again for taking the time to review us.
Baytown, Texas
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I was always greeted warmly by everybody at the front desk @ ;Melissa,Jennifer and Crystal
because of work I expend lot of time in hotels and this time the girls in the front desk were relay helpful they know the city and restaurants and that is always helpful went you never bin in a city before and don't know any one they made me fill at home .
And the hotel was clean all the time i was working night and the house keeping were still cleaning my room daily

JG

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Justin V, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mesa Verde-Cortez, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
JorgeG37! I will put this review on the “wall of Heroes” at the front desk for the girls, they will love it. We are happy to make you feel at home and hope that work brings you are way more often and for longer times!!
Goodyear, Arizona, United States
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We always try to stay at HIE whenever we are on the road. However, none of the others compares to the one in Cortez. The Lobby is furnished with Native American art and artifacts. It is beautifully decorated and very comfortable The breakfast has many choices. . and the Biscuits & Gravy rival other restaurants. The food is closely monitored by Grandmotherly ladies who aim to please. The rooms have everything you could want, including the comfy beds and pillows. I highly recommend a stay at this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Midge B! Yes! Thanks for the Great review! We are now in the OFF season and rates are the lowest they will be until May of 2014, so come back soon! I will give a copy of this review to Madonna and her Breakfast Ladies also, they love the feedback!
los angeles
Reviewed 25 October 2013

I have stayed here several times en route to camping in the San Juan Mountains. Each time, I found the hotel reliably spotless and quiet for a good night's rest. It has a nice gym and a good breakfast; I’d recommend La Casita de Cortez for dinner.

For someone on a trip longer than a week, this Holiday Inn has an excellent laundry room. That is not a hotel feature you would read about in Travel sections, but I have always found it handy, the best I’ve encountered in the Southwest!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
When in Roam, Turn off your cell phone? Awesome review wheninroam! That is a significant compliment and I have shared it with the hardest working women in Housekeeping-business. They are the real heroes of our Hotel. So glad you keep coming back to us, and we hope to see you again soon!!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cortez
Hampton Inn Mesa Verde / Cortez
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,669 reviews
Tomahawk Lodge
Tomahawk Lodge
#10 of 16 in Cortez

Been to Holiday Inn Express Mesa Verde-Cortez? Share your experiences!