“Nice place ”

Holiday Inn Express Mesa Verde-Cortez
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Cortez
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed for a few days good location in town , a pub is located on the same property next door , the pool area has a nice outside patio . The rooms are very nice and yes they are updated not sure what the other reviewer was talking about ? Morning breakfast was great just like the standards of HIG. Front desk personnel could be more friendly never get a hello when you walk by the front desk just a strange look!

Stayed: July 2014
Justin V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mesa Verde-Cortez, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Randykunath! Thanks for the Great Review! Were you here visiting Mesa Verde?? Koko’s is a great restaurant! I read your review and went directly up front to see what was up and no kidding, the clerk gave me a weird look, lol! I almost fell down laughing. I did corner our three new clerks and we talked about how important it is to acknowledge people and say good morning and what have you; they can get a bit cross-eyed when they first sign on here, there is a lot of work and they have to memorize a ton of stuff, however, we always need to take time to say hello and swap stories and actually get to know the awesome people who stay with us. Here’s looking at you randy!!

Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

Ok place to stay. But the rooms were out dated. I waited for them to get done talking to what looked liked a friend. Room key wasn't ready. I asked for a king bed and got two queens. I asked if they had king room they said no. Looked on line and there were king bed rooms available. The room was very cold when the air was on and hot when the air was off. Only reason I would stay here again was for the points. Keep driving to Farmington or go east to Durango.

Stayed: June 2014
Justin V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mesa Verde-Cortez, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Jake W! Thanks for the Great review! I am sorry we did not have a key ready for you at check in, we like to give guests a choice where they would like a room, but I understand efficiency is also important and agree, there is nothing better than a quick and hassle free check in! I wish we could double our King Bed rooms too! I am 6’2” and cannot sleep in a queen, plus there is more room in the room if that makes sense. We would love to get you some points on your next trip and understand many people use IHG for their rewards system, which is still the very BEST in the lodging world. We probably take our relationships with our guests a bit too far and view most of the people who stay with us as friends, not sure we will change anything there, but I can get more desk clerks on to make sure we can get you into the hotel fast and still have those meaningful interactions that make so much of our day that much better. I would Love another chance to make you happier with what we got goin on!

Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

Love that their decor reflects the location and compliments the Native Americans. Easy drive to Mesa Verde. A few things could have been polished up: towels on swimming pool weren't stocked, my daughter stepped on a giant industrial staple in our room since the corner was coming off the bed. But overall, nice place.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Justin V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mesa Verde-Cortez, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Susiecamera!! Thank you so much for taking the time to review us! I just got a huge pool towel order in on the 3rd of July so we will not run short anymore! Sorry about that dang staple, we are digging into the rooms to see if we can't find any other maintenance issues that have gone unnoticed, thanks for the Heads-up!!

Reviewed 29 June 2014

We were spending one night in Cortez to take in the Mesa Verde National Park, and we selected the Holiday Inn Express for its convenient location and free breakfast (have two teenage boys). The staff were super friendly from the time we stepped in the door. The lobby and room decor is very fresh and unique to the location.

Bottom line, all of our expectations were met.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dave-in-Iowa!! Thank you so much for the Great review and the kind words!!

Reviewed 27 June 2014

Everything about our stay was perfect. Nice, clean room; good breakfast; convenient location, etc.. The property is within walking distance of dining, grocery, and across the street from a decent liquor store. We stayed two nights, and will probably stay here again if we visit Cortez again.

Room Tip: We stayed in an east-facing room on the third floor toward the back, so it was very quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Jeff G!! You Rule!! Thanks for the Excellent Review!

Reviewed 23 June 2014

I recently spent 3 nights here while hiking in and visiting Mesa Verde National Park. This is a newer HIE, or at least it looks new, built in a V-shape with the lobby area at the point and an indoor swimming pool in the open throat.

I was in a standard king room, which had a coffee maker, microwave and mini refrig. Please see the hotel web site for room options and a complete list of amenities.

The room was comfortable and nicely appointed, but several things were not up to par, and I stay at lots of HIE's. First, the bath towels were hard and scratchy, probably from being over laundered, but at least they didn't smell like pool water.

And secondly, the in-room WiFi was very slow compared to the many other hotels and brands I stay with. And sometimes it didn't even work at all and had to be rebooted by the front desk.

The "on-site" (as per the HI web site) restaurant wasn't really on-site. It was in a separate nearby building. I had one dinner there, was disappointed by the food and service, and would not go back. But the breakfast buffet in the HIE building was typical HIE fare and good. There were several large grocery stores and a Walmart nearby so don't be afraid to use those in-room appliances.

I did not use the pool, fitness room or business center so I can't comment on those.

All in all, however, if I was in the Cortez area again I would still consider this hotel, but would also shop others as I felt the price, even with my discount, was high for what it was.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank AustinWhitewater
Justin V, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mesa Verde-Cortez, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

AustinWhitewater! Thank you so much for taking the time to review us!! I talked to Kiki our Head Housekeeper about the Scratchy Room Towels

I am sorry about the restaurant being below expectations. I spoke with Freedom the Restaurant Manager and she said she would dive into it; Food Quality and service are very important to her and she needs that feedback in order to have a GREAT restaurant!

You are totally right about the WiFi, I just received a quote from a Network expert on the hardware we need to bump to 300 liscenses (Simultaneous wireless IP Address’s) as well as some cool back office Network options they will be installing for us. I will have something signed today and then they can order the hardware and begin work. We will soon have ample connections and 100mbps speed coming into the hotel which will mean more internet quicker for all guests! I will update our internet progress as we move forward.

We are the most expensive Hotel in town however, there are Book early and save rates out there that will give decent discounts, but be carefull!! They cannot be changed or cancelled without forfeiting the entire stay amount, which is due at the time of booking.

Thank you sooo much for sharing your experiences and helping us improve and holding us accountable, we would have it no other way!

Reviewed 21 June 2014

The room at the Holiday Inn Express was a very nicely appointed and quiet room. However, the service at this hotel did not match the quality of the room. At check- in we gave the clerk a credit card to cover incidentals as we had prepaid for our entire stay at the hotel. However, the clerk used our credit card to charge our entire stay for a second time. It took several phone calls over a period of two days to have the front desk remove the charges and we did not receive an apology for the error.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

KevinL!! Oh man! We did a very cool 45 min training on this. It is critical that we get your billing information correct the first time. We have two new kids (not who made the mistake that effected you however) we are showing everything to right now and the importance of having accurate Billing activity at the desk. I am sorry we did not get it right with you and we are taking full advantage of the mistake to re-train our crew and study the error and how to prevent them with questions and thorough investigation. Thank you so much for taking time to review us! And thank you for the opportunity to let us learn and grow! I hope you come back and have an excellent stay and an impeccable billing experience!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cortez
Hampton Inn Mesa Verde / Cortez
#1 of 1 in Mesa Verde National Park
Tomahawk Lodge
Tomahawk Lodge
#9 of 16 in Cortez

Been to Holiday Inn Express Mesa Verde-Cortez? Share your experiences!