“Suitable, but as you would expect”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Cortez
New Hampshire
“Suitable, but as you would expect”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Stayed here on a bike trip. It is an Econo Lodge.
No frills and kinda dumpy.

It was OK for a night though. And the place was fairly clean.

There were two Chicklets on the bed, that turned out to be the pillows :-)

$25 will get you to a Holiday Inn Express across the street.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank pikster
Bob K, Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Thank you for sharing your recent stay experience with us.

I just wanted to clarify for all guests trying to book in cortez, that the Econo Lodge is priced in the range of 80 to 90 dollars less than the Holiday Inn Express.

The Econo Lodge prides in providing a firm and soft pillow on each bed for our guest usage. The soft pillows are feather and due to the filling get smaller in size. We feel that for an economy brand to provide a feather option to our guests is an added experince

Andrew Waight

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Scottsdale, Arizona, United States
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Below is my original review of this hotel of my stay there on 05/14/2014. I originally gave this hotel a 'terrible' rating, but due to management making things right with me by refunding a part of my original charges, I changed my rating of this hotel to 'average'. Although I really do appreciate the effort that Andrew (the manager) made to make things right with me, I am still concerned that he has his work cut out for him in hiring quality staff. Good help is hard to come by these days.

“No Satisfaction!”
1 of 5 starsReviewed May 19, 2014
Let me start off by stating that I travel frequently and I usually stay at a budget hotels. Staying at budget hotels, I don't expect perfection, but I do expect good service and if I experience a problem, I do expect that the management will make it right with me. On this particular stay at this hotel, the management failed miserably! When I checked into this hotel on 05/14/2014, the first thing that I noticed was that the remote for the TV was not working. I do give kudos to Andrew, the night desk attendant for being able to find another remote that was in working condition.
Before retiring for the evening, I noticed that the hot water in my room was lukewarm at best but not hot enough for me to take my nightly shower. Being tired and late as it was, I decided that maybe someone used too much hot water and the issue would clear itself up in the morning. When I woke up the next morning, I discovered that there was no hot water at all. I called the front desk and a lady said that a maintenance worker would investigate the problem. She called my back stating that the maintenance worker could not find any problems and there was nothing else that they could do. Needless to say, the water was way to cold for me to shower!
Now here is where I find fault with this hotel's management. I can totally understand that sometimes problems arise and that is all part of life but I expect management to make things right. When checking out, I requested compensation for not having any hot water during my stay. The lady at the front desk stated that the best that they could do was take $10 off of my final bill. I felt insulted considering that being able to shower and having hot water is a big part of staying at a hotel. I really did expect that management would have given me 100% compensation for my inconvenience of not having hot water!
Again, I can live with having the inconvenience of not being able to shower for one day but I certainly cannot condone piss poor service!

Room Tip: Check if the hot water is working!
Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Cleanliness
1 of 5 stars Service

EconoLodge120, Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Dear Mr. Lawrence

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay with us.

Our goal is always to make every guest stay a memorable and pleasant one. I am sorry to learn that we did not meet your expectations.

I did speak with the Front desk associate who took over the ownership of your case, and was informed that she offered the discount for your inconvenience and you did not indicate that this was not acceptable and will like to either have a further discount or speak with the manager on duty.

We have a culture at the property to try and take care of our guests and I will like to have an opportunity to speak with you and be able to invite you back in the future

I can be reached on my direct line 970 565 9692

Andrew Waight

Room Tip: Check to see if you have hot water.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Lawrence B
EconoLodge120, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, 15 September 2014
I am happy to learn that Andrew was able to speak to you and address your concerns.

Thank you for taking the time to review us again, we greatly appreciate your time and response

Bob Kapoor
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 4 July 2014

The motel faces the mesa's, but is blocked by the businesses across the highway. It is located a very short drive from Mesa Verde National Park. They offer continental breakfast, but they did not have any type of protein. Which if you are planning on hiking at Mesa Verde would not be good for sustainability.
The room was fair, but it would have been nice to have a mini fridge. In the bathroom the tub looked dirty with stains and scratches. Who ever cleaned it in the past did not use a good clean or doesn't know the best way to clean the tub. The light cover was missing in the bathroom as well.
Overall the room seemed clean. The walls seemed thin, cause you could hear your neighbors on either side.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a place to eat that is close, DO NOT eat at the Denny's dinner across the...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jcrumley
EconoLodge120, Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, 15 September 2014
Thank you for rating the property at 4 stars.

The breakfast menu includes yogurt, which is a protein item that was added for our guests to have a balanced diet.

The menu is a " karma free" diet that includes fruits, protein and carbohydrates.

Cortez
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I've stayed at this particular Econo Lodge a couple times before. I enjoy staying at this location because of consistency. Great customer service and room quality. I always come back because I know what I am gonna get. Swimming in the heated pool after complimentary breakfast was a great way to start my day!!

• Stayed June 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay with us when in the area.

Fort Collins, CO
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We were on a family road trip through Colorado and this was the only bad hotel experience we had. (Look at my other submissions and you'll see that I give mostly good reviews.)

The kids were excited to use the pool after a long day hiking and climbing ladders in Mesa Verde. Unfortunately, they were scared off by a large drunk guy who was passed out on the side of the pool, surrounded by empty beer cans, and who then woke up and started yelling loudly to his friends on the second floor. The hotel staff seemed completely oblivious, which made me wonder if this was a typical experience.

The room itself was dirty, including mold on the shower, dirty carpets, and ripped, dirty chairs. There was all sorts of trash scattered on the sidewalk outside our room, the TV reception was terrible, and the free breakfast was sparse, at best, and not fresh.

For the price ($110!) I think we could have done a lot better.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank pjc1973
Bob K, Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
It is our goal to make every guest stay a memorable and pleasant one. I am sorry to learn that we did not meet your expectations.

I will like to assure you that we did address the issue with the drank person, by having police remove him off property. He was a registered hotel guest at the property.

The hotel has new carpets in all rooms, and the property has a schedule in place where the housekeeping department goes over the rooms to ensure there is no mold formation in the bathtubs.

the property offers an extended breakfast menu that is geared towards a "karma free diet"

I will like to have the opportunity to welcome your family and you back and speak with you

Andrew Waight

Travellers are raving about these Cortez hotels

Parker, Colorado, USA
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

We have stayed in several hotels on our road trip from CO to CA and back but for the price we paid I would not recommend here staying for more than one night because, I do not think the beds are cleaned after each checkout.So for the price 80.99$ I would recommend some other good places nearby.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Kinu

I will like to assure you that we make sure that all the linen is cleaned after check out.

We use the Ecolab line of chemicals and this is the standard line used in the industry.

The property is part of Choice Hotels International and follows brand standards.

Feel free to call me on my direct line if you still have any concerns

Kaysville, Utah
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

We were skeptical about the good ratings given for this facility, but decided to try it as most of the "better" motels were full. It was a very nice surprise. It was clean and comfortable. We requested a ground floor room so that we wouldn't have to haul luggage up the stairs. Even though our room was located directly beneath the stairway, we didn't hear a lot of outside noise. We could probably say that leaving the fan on all night helped cut the noise factor. The location is within walking distance of many food options. There is nothing fancy here but it gave us a good night's rest.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Shirlee

The property invested in areas that are considered key touch points for guest experience, one of which is the beds as this translates to quality of sleep.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and were able to verify the reviews, for yourself