“Unusual For Econo Lodge”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Cortez
Monument, Colorado
“Unusual For Econo Lodge”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

The prices for this Econo Lodge are higher than most Econo Lodges, but competitive with pricey Cortez and this is a better Econo Lodge than most.

They have new beds and carpets in an older and dated building. The Windows do not have a sheer curtain so it is either dark with the curtain drawn or open for everyone to see. All staff were very pleasant and helpful. There is a Walmart across the street and several places to eat within walking distance.

Half of the rooms have the pool in front of them. It can be noisy in the afternoon with children playing, but does quiet down in the evening. The air conditioner does not have a constant fan mode, so you hear it every time it starts.

The breakfast has more items and variety than most Econo Lodges and begins at 6 AM if you want to get an early start. You still need to go across the street to Denny's if you want a hot breakfast.

Room Tip: Top floor on the East end away from the pool.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Hiddenshutter
EconoLodge120, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, 15 September 2014
Thank you for your positive remarks and observations.

I am glad that you have noted the new mattresses, carpets and that the property offers an extended deluxe continental breakfast.

Bob Kapoor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

Stayed two days, had two rooms. Very nice stay. Nothing fancy but rooms were clean and staff were all very pleasant. Breakfast wasn't fancy but not bad for free/included. Five of us and there was something for everyone.

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank trippinJordans
Bob K, Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Thank you for rating us 4 stars.

The property provides an extended deluxe continental breakfast menu which includes hot waffles, fresh fruit, yogurt, 2 types of cereal, bagels, pastries, toast, fresh orange and apple juice, coffee, tea and milk.

The management motto is to provide a "karma free" menu to all its guests.

Boise, Idaho
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

It's been a while since I paid less than $100 for a room. This one was affordable, clean, and it's the first roadside motel I've seen to have flat-screen TVs. Best of all, I got a good night's sleep. When I told the clerk I was an insomniac (I already had a room between two other rooms, but the place was filling up fast with Saturday night guests), he graciously offered to switch me to the corner room where he thought it might be quieter. (The other guest weren't being too noisy, but I'm - admittedly - a fussy customer.) The corner room was blissfully quiet, I slept great. Beds, linens, and carpets were clean. Nothing fancy, but it's just what I was looking for and I'd stay here again.

Room Tip: Close to the east edge of the town and only 10 miles from Mesa Verde (cliff dwellings). Nice locatio...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank K_P_Hornsby
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

The Econo Lodge has flat panel TV's in all rooms as you noticed.

We pride in providing all our guests with clean rooms and everything working within the rooms.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

Its been some time since I stayed at one of the hotels where there room door is on the outside. We stayed on the ground level and should have picked the top floor. The Windows didn't have a sheer curtain so you had no privacy unless you closed them which made the room dark. The area is nice and there is Walmart across the street. The bed was new and so was carpet. The bathroom was a bit small and cramped. The sink was accessible with plenty of room. Front desk folks were great and pleasant to work with. There was a safe in the room but never used it.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dale E
EconoLodge120, Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, 15 September 2014
I am glad that we were able to make your stay a memorable and pleasant experience.

Lakewood, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

Me and my wife and two daughters stayed here for 5 nights while we were exploring Mesa Verde, it is the closest hotel to Mesa Verde. The hotel must have just been remodeled recently, the carpet looked new and the beds were extremely comfortable. The American Indian style was nice inside the room. The pool was nice and refreshing after a long day! If you are looking for something that is nice and priced right, this is a great option. I want to say it was also nice to have a microwave and small refridgerator in the room. I can't forget to mention the great staff there as well, they always were there to help.

Room Tip: room next to the pool was great
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Brian D
Dear Brian

Thank you for sharing your recent stay experience with us.

It is the goal of every staff member at the property to make every guest stay a memorable and pleasant experience.

New Hampshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

Stayed here on a bike trip. It is an Econo Lodge.
No frills and kinda dumpy.

It was OK for a night though. And the place was fairly clean.

There were two Chicklets on the bed, that turned out to be the pillows :-)

$25 will get you to a Holiday Inn Express across the street.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank pikster
Bob K, Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Thank you for sharing your recent stay experience with us.

I just wanted to clarify for all guests trying to book in cortez, that the Econo Lodge is priced in the range of 80 to 90 dollars less than the Holiday Inn Express.

The Econo Lodge prides in providing a firm and soft pillow on each bed for our guest usage. The soft pillows are feather and due to the filling get smaller in size. We feel that for an economy brand to provide a feather option to our guests is an added experince

Andrew Waight

Travellers are raving about these Cortez hotels

Scottsdale, Arizona, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

Below is my original review of this hotel of my stay there on 05/14/2014. I originally gave this hotel a 'terrible' rating, but due to management making things right with me by refunding a part of my original charges, I changed my rating of this hotel to 'average'. Although I really do appreciate the effort that Andrew (the manager) made to make things right with me, I am still concerned that he has his work cut out for him in hiring quality staff. Good help is hard to come by these days.

“No Satisfaction!”
1 of 5 starsReviewed May 19, 2014
Let me start off by stating that I travel frequently and I usually stay at a budget hotels. Staying at budget hotels, I don't expect perfection, but I do expect good service and if I experience a problem, I do expect that the management will make it right with me. On this particular stay at this hotel, the management failed miserably! When I checked into this hotel on 05/14/2014, the first thing that I noticed was that the remote for the TV was not working. I do give kudos to Andrew, the night desk attendant for being able to find another remote that was in working condition.
Before retiring for the evening, I noticed that the hot water in my room was lukewarm at best but not hot enough for me to take my nightly shower. Being tired and late as it was, I decided that maybe someone used too much hot water and the issue would clear itself up in the morning. When I woke up the next morning, I discovered that there was no hot water at all. I called the front desk and a lady said that a maintenance worker would investigate the problem. She called my back stating that the maintenance worker could not find any problems and there was nothing else that they could do. Needless to say, the water was way to cold for me to shower!
Now here is where I find fault with this hotel's management. I can totally understand that sometimes problems arise and that is all part of life but I expect management to make things right. When checking out, I requested compensation for not having any hot water during my stay. The lady at the front desk stated that the best that they could do was take $10 off of my final bill. I felt insulted considering that being able to shower and having hot water is a big part of staying at a hotel. I really did expect that management would have given me 100% compensation for my inconvenience of not having hot water!
Again, I can live with having the inconvenience of not being able to shower for one day but I certainly cannot condone piss poor service!

Room Tip: Check if the hot water is working!
Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Cleanliness
1 of 5 stars Service

EconoLodge120, Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Dear Mr. Lawrence

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay with us.

Our goal is always to make every guest stay a memorable and pleasant one. I am sorry to learn that we did not meet your expectations.

I did speak with the Front desk associate who took over the ownership of your case, and was informed that she offered the discount for your inconvenience and you did not indicate that this was not acceptable and will like to either have a further discount or speak with the manager on duty.

We have a culture at the property to try and take care of our guests and I will like to have an opportunity to speak with you and be able to invite you back in the future

I can be reached on my direct line 970 565 9692

Andrew Waight

Room Tip: Check to see if you have hot water.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Lawrence B
I am happy to learn that Andrew was able to speak to you and address your concerns.

Thank you for taking the time to review us again, we greatly appreciate your time and response