“Nice, clean, quiet, friendly stopover for us!”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison
Ranked #52 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Reviewed 17 July 2011

We are just finishing a stay at this hotel today and we enjoyed our stay! I was a little nervous when I booked it through Hotwire (first time using a third party site) but the value was great. We were on the second floor in a double room over the lobby as opposed to the pool and it was very quiet, clean and newly decorated. Our room just had its TV updated so my son was happy that he could plugin his PS3.

The housekeeping staff were friendly and helpful around a couple of questions I had. The room was clean and the beds were comfortable.

I used the fitness room and it was very clean; not busy at all. It is basic and all the equipment was in good shape. We used the pool but didn't venture into the hot tub as it had been very busy with all kinds of little kids - some in diapers - that was enough for me! I know this must be hard to police and certainly not a deal breaker.

The hotel is located across from a mall and close to a number of restaurants which was very handy - after such a long drive it was nice to be able to walk everywhere. I love the idea of having Starbucks in the lobby and a nice lounge! Nice to wake up to good coffee - even if you have to pay for it!

Room Tip: Ask for one of the newly decorated rooms and avoid the rooms that are over the pool.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank never2latetotravel
CrownePlazaGM, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2011

I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor. We pride ourselves in providing the best service in the Madison area. I am glad you enjoyed the pool, new Flat Screen TV's recently installed, and Starbucks. We are currently in the process of renovating one floor of the hotel, with new beds, carpet, headboards, and more. Again, thank you for your comments and we certainly look forward to having you stay with us the next time your travels brings you to Madison, WI.

Reviewed 28 June 2011

We rectntly stayed at the Crown Plaza in Madison because we were traveling with our small dog. The hotel was outdated and dark. The carpets were dirty, but I didn't expect too much given it was a pet friendly hotel. When we arrived we were greated with open arms. The front desk staff were very welcoming of us and our dog. The first two floors of the hotel are dedicated to families with pets. During our stay there was a tornado warning and the front desk again were very helpful of the situation that was new to us. The hotel is in a location that is near shopping and several restaurants. The exercise room is small, humid and dated.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
CrownePlazaGM, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2011

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. I'm glad you and your pet felt welcome at our hotel. We know how important our pets are, and enjoy having them stay with us as well. I would like to tell you we are in the process of room renovation, and currently completing one floor. We hope you will stay with us again, and we do have a shuttle that can take you to a full service gym, which many of our guests do.

Reviewed 26 May 2011

We came to the Crowne to run a very large business session. NOTHING worked! Although I was sent to an upgraded room, the phone would not work, internet kept breaking up, the room was left dirty, bath clogged, heating did not work, etc, etc, etc.

I have never written a bad report on a hotel, but I have lost my patience here. Calling reception to get them to do something about it was a lost battle, as they did not pick up their phone.

Location is good, but would avoid this one if you can.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
6  Thank ontheroadmostdays

I appreciate you taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor, but of course was very disappointed after reading your comments. I certainly wish I had been made aware of the inconviences you incurred during your stay with us, so I could have had the opportunity to correct your problems. I can certainly understand your frustration, as I would have felt the exact same way. I assure you I do not take these comments lightly; as our goal is to provide excellent service and accommendations to all of our guests.
I sincerely apologize for the situation during your stay with us.

Reviewed 14 April 2011

I have stayed at this hotel numerous times,( 4 times in the last 6 months, 10 plus overall).I feel the service/staff is very professional.They certainly understand what customer service is supposed to be. I am always greeted with a smile and great service. I stay in hotels approx 50-60 nights a year for business and I rate this as one of my top places to stay. The check-in, shuttle service, bar/restaraunt, location all rate exceptional. The high speed wi-fi is actually high speed! . I have been checked in by new employees in training and they were assisted by well seasoned employees so they get properly trained. Overall summary, very clean well kept hotel with an excellent staff.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business

I would like to thank you for your comments posted on Trip Advisor during your stay in April with the Crowne Plaza Madison. Your comments were greatly appreciated, and will be passed on to the staff.
It is our goal to provide the finest service in the area, and to always exceed our guests expectations.
We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 17 February 2011

Hotel was noisy, dirty windows and some need for renovation. Experienced fire alarm which lasted past midnight in which we had to go outside in pajamas. Club lounge closed and had to fight for breakfast certificate even though following morning was only one in restaurant. As elite member in hotel program, hotel has ignored previous requests for customer service. Wonder why bother with such unresponsiveness? Don't get to Madison often, but will stay elsewhere next time.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
5  Thank idealflyer
Reviewed 27 October 2010

We've stayed at this hotel twice, once about two years ago and once this year.
Back in '08 you could tell the place hadn't been recently update, and now it's starting to look at bit worn.
The staff is fine. They aren't great with getting cabs, we were left to fend for ourselves. (FYI, Badger cab does some sort of cab share thing. So after leaving this hotel we had to stop at the grocery store down the block to pick up another passenger. I'm done with that company.)
Our room was clean. I don't know that the place is worth the actual hotel rate, but we booked through Hotwire so it wasn't awful. (Friends our ours stayed at the HoJo down the street and paid almost as much as we did.) Beds were comfy like one would except at a Crowne Plaza. I did notice that the sleep kits are no more though. (They still have the CD player alarm clocks, but no CD.)
Our room's only windows overlooked the pool. Surprisingly the noise wasn't bad.
I would stay at this hotel again if I had to. The location just isn't great.
Just a tip, parking can be a problem. There was a wedding going on one night. That combined with move in weekend at at the University made for a full parking lot. It of course didn't help that quite a few U-Haul trailers were in parking spaces. There were also moving trucks taking up four spaces. Not cool. Probably something the hotel needs to deal with.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
CrownePlazaGM, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2011

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor, regarding your stay at the Crowne Plaza, Madison. It is very important to us to hear all comments, both positive as well as negative. This gives us the opportunity to improve the overall hotel, as we strive to give our guests a positive experience while staying with us. Our goal is to always exceed our guests expectations.

Reviewed 5 October 2010

We stayed at the hotel for a wedding, so by the time we got to the hotel it was about 45 minutes after check-in and our room was still not ready. Instead of insisting that they take our stuff up to the room when it was ready, they told us they would hold it for us. So we had to leave the cocktail hour to bring our stuff up to our room an hour and a half after check-in. When we got up to the room, we pulled out the couch beds and set the room up to make sure we were not missing anything. When we opened one of our pull out couch beds, there was SEVERAL spots of dried up blood on all THREE of the blankets, helping us to come to the conclusion that none of the sheets were washed... because it was on all three. IT WAS GROSS. After telling the front desk, there very mildy apologized and went on with their work. We then woke up the next morning and was told by the front desk that we could not use our AAA discount because we did not say something when we checked it. Needless to say, our stay was nothing but terrible.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
6  Thank 654,736

I received your comments posted on Trip Advisor, and was disappointed that we did not meet your expectations during your stay at the Crowne Plaza Madison. It is our goal to exceed every guests expectations. The items mentioned will certainly be addressed with the appropriate personnel. I aplogize in the delay responding to your comments, however I recently became the new General Manager. I would welcome the opportunity to serve you again in the future.