“Great hotel near freeways”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison
Ranked #53 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Reviewed 29 July 2011

This is (probably) our 10th night at this hotel in the past couple years. I stay exclusively at "Holiday Inn" properties due to business requirements and obtaining Platinum status in their Priority club the past few years. We have family in Madison in a smaller home so it's easy to stay a few miles away at a reasonable business rate and get a good night sleep plus some amenities from being a Platinum member. My wife is always along and we enjoy the clean rooms and friendly staff. We occasionally use the pool/hot tub and stop for a tap beer at their pub and grab either a Starbucks or buffet breakfast in the morning.
This is an older hotel but they continue to keep it in good shape: good HVAC, rooms are quiet despite being right on Hwy 151 Washington Ave (about 1 mi from I90/94). They are upgrading all rooms to large HDTVs. The only problems tend to be some Fall weekends Sep-Oct where they only allow 2 night stays due to UW Badger football games; we have learned that and schedule alternate weekends when the Badgers are out of town (MUCH calmer and less traffic then anyway!).

Room Tip: We usually have a NE view but the rooms are well insulated/quiet. I'd probably avoid a SE room.
1  Thank SE_MN_warmth_seekers
CrownePlazaGM, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2011

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor. It is very important to hear both positive as well as negative comments from our guests, as we strive to provide the finest service in the area.
We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and ceratinly hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 19 July 2011

Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison East Towne, WI : Terrible.
I booked through Hotwire. I really hope that I could read reviews posted here.
This hotel looks great if you just see through the lobby. When you walk into your room, you may find a different story.
This hotel currently is under construction. They are changing their old CRT TVs to LCD ones. They left garbages all over the corridor.
For me, even worse. I booked a room for 3 people including a 3-year old child through HotWire.com. They sold out other rooms and just left one with two small beds for us. They would charge 20USD for a rollaway. I called Hotwire Express, and the Hotwire Express Agency called them. The offer that we got is we can cancel the reservation for FREE and we have to find a different hotel, in 10:30PM.

7  Thank Chicagoan60601
CrownePlazaGM, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2011

Thank you for your comments posted on Trip Advisor in regards to your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Madison. I am sincerely sorry for the inconveniences you incurred when checking in with us. You are correct in the fact we are upgrading all televisions, and we are currently renovating one floor of the hotel; however there never should be garbage in the hallways, and I truely apologize for that. Unfortunately when you book a reservation through 3rd party internet sites you are not guaranteed a specific room type, although it can be requested.
Once again thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I use the comments to address all issues, as we strive to provide the finest service in the area.

Reviewed 18 July 2011

Stayed at the Crowne Plaza last weekend and will not stay again! Thank goodness I did not pay full price and got a reasonable rate on Priceline. I am an elite member, but they wouldn't give me any perks if there even were much of any. I am also a Hilton gold member and Hilton always treats me and my family well. When we got off the elevator there were several OLD TV cabinets filling the space.....apparently they are updating. I did not see any rooms that looked updated. The first room they put us in had holes in the sheets, dirty carpet, hair (not mine) in the tub and was very outdated. So when I asked for a different room they said they would shuffle some rooms and put us in an "executive" room -- not much better. It had a tiny fridge in a cabinet that was broke and was very outdated. They treated me poorly and kept saying "you booked with Priceline". The Starbucks employee was rude and I ordered a white chocolate mocha she proceeded to make it with a cocoa packet.....I ended up throwing it away it tasted terrible.

• Stayed: July 2011
6  Thank LifesGood10
CrownePlazaGM, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2011

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor. Although, you certainly didn't have a good experience during your stay, I appreciate comments so I can solve the issues you incurred. We are currently renovating one floor in the hotel, and hope to have the entire hotel renovated soon. There is no excuse for poor service, and I assure you those issues will be addressed. I take all comments quite seriously, and it is my intention every guest that stays with us, is provided with the best service in the area.
Once again, I aplogize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay.

Reviewed 17 July 2011

We are just finishing a stay at this hotel today and we enjoyed our stay! I was a little nervous when I booked it through Hotwire (first time using a third party site) but the value was great. We were on the second floor in a double room over the lobby as opposed to the pool and it was very quiet, clean and newly decorated. Our room just had its TV updated so my son was happy that he could plugin his PS3.

The housekeeping staff were friendly and helpful around a couple of questions I had. The room was clean and the beds were comfortable.

I used the fitness room and it was very clean; not busy at all. It is basic and all the equipment was in good shape. We used the pool but didn't venture into the hot tub as it had been very busy with all kinds of little kids - some in diapers - that was enough for me! I know this must be hard to police and certainly not a deal breaker.

The hotel is located across from a mall and close to a number of restaurants which was very handy - after such a long drive it was nice to be able to walk everywhere. I love the idea of having Starbucks in the lobby and a nice lounge! Nice to wake up to good coffee - even if you have to pay for it!

Room Tip: Ask for one of the newly decorated rooms and avoid the rooms that are over the pool.
1  Thank never2latetotravel
CrownePlazaGM, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2011

I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor. We pride ourselves in providing the best service in the Madison area. I am glad you enjoyed the pool, new Flat Screen TV's recently installed, and Starbucks. We are currently in the process of renovating one floor of the hotel, with new beds, carpet, headboards, and more. Again, thank you for your comments and we certainly look forward to having you stay with us the next time your travels brings you to Madison, WI.

Reviewed 28 June 2011

We rectntly stayed at the Crown Plaza in Madison because we were traveling with our small dog. The hotel was outdated and dark. The carpets were dirty, but I didn't expect too much given it was a pet friendly hotel. When we arrived we were greated with open arms. The front desk staff were very welcoming of us and our dog. The first two floors of the hotel are dedicated to families with pets. During our stay there was a tornado warning and the front desk again were very helpful of the situation that was new to us. The hotel is in a location that is near shopping and several restaurants. The exercise room is small, humid and dated.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
CrownePlazaGM, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2011

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. I'm glad you and your pet felt welcome at our hotel. We know how important our pets are, and enjoy having them stay with us as well. I would like to tell you we are in the process of room renovation, and currently completing one floor. We hope you will stay with us again, and we do have a shuttle that can take you to a full service gym, which many of our guests do.

Reviewed 26 May 2011

We came to the Crowne to run a very large business session. NOTHING worked! Although I was sent to an upgraded room, the phone would not work, internet kept breaking up, the room was left dirty, bath clogged, heating did not work, etc, etc, etc.

I have never written a bad report on a hotel, but I have lost my patience here. Calling reception to get them to do something about it was a lost battle, as they did not pick up their phone.

Location is good, but would avoid this one if you can.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
6  Thank ontheroadmostdays

I appreciate you taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor, but of course was very disappointed after reading your comments. I certainly wish I had been made aware of the inconviences you incurred during your stay with us, so I could have had the opportunity to correct your problems. I can certainly understand your frustration, as I would have felt the exact same way. I assure you I do not take these comments lightly; as our goal is to provide excellent service and accommendations to all of our guests.
I sincerely apologize for the situation during your stay with us.

Reviewed 14 April 2011

I have stayed at this hotel numerous times,( 4 times in the last 6 months, 10 plus overall).I feel the service/staff is very professional.They certainly understand what customer service is supposed to be. I am always greeted with a smile and great service. I stay in hotels approx 50-60 nights a year for business and I rate this as one of my top places to stay. The check-in, shuttle service, bar/restaraunt, location all rate exceptional. The high speed wi-fi is actually high speed! . I have been checked in by new employees in training and they were assisted by well seasoned employees so they get properly trained. Overall summary, very clean well kept hotel with an excellent staff.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business

I would like to thank you for your comments posted on Trip Advisor during your stay in April with the Crowne Plaza Madison. Your comments were greatly appreciated, and will be passed on to the staff.
It is our goal to provide the finest service in the area, and to always exceed our guests expectations.
We hope to see you again soon.