“Excellent stay - better than past reviews imply”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison
Ranked #53 of 64 Hotels in Madison
Reviewed 4 September 2011

We pricelined in Madison and were matched with this hotel. After reading the reviews we were prepared to be disappointed. In contrast, we found the lobby classy and clean, the staff friendly and helpful, and the room modern and well appointed. We were only there for one nigtht and we didn't use the pool or eat at the restaurant but they appeared nice. We'd definitely stay there again. I think I read somewhere about some renovations so if this is the case, they have done a nice job. At least on par with other Crowne Plaza hotels.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kelly C
CrownePlazaGM, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2011

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor. We are happy you enjoyed your stay with us. The next time you visit we hope you will be able to take advantage of our indoor pool, as well as have a wonderful breakfast or dinner in our restaurant.
We look forward to having you with us again!

Reviewed 29 August 2011

My friend and I met here for the weekend. We both have adult children that live here but this weekend was about us having fun so it was nice to stay here and just meet them for dinner!
Our room was very quiet and clean. The beds were very comfortable and we both slept well. The housekeeping staff was great and so kind and friendly whenever you would meet one in the hall. The front desk staff could learn a good deal about customer service from the housekeeping staff. They were not overly friendly. I came down on Sunday morning to ask a question, two of them were standing by one computer screen trying to figure out a problem with a customers bill. I stood there for several minutes and neither so much as looked up to acknowledge me or the now two other people standing behind me. When one finally did look up it was to answer the phone--still no eye contact or "be right with you". This is not a big thing but it was irritating.

We ate one meal in the restaurant. The menu in the room upstairs did not match the menu downstairs and I couldn't get what I had seen on the upstairs menu. Our food was fine and it was convenient the first night as we were tired and not going out was nice.

I would defiantly stay here again, however Madison has much better restaurants.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
CrownePlazaGM, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2011

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor. I am glad you where pleased with your room, and the housekeeping staff. The issue mentioned in regards to the front desk staff, as well as the restaurant has been addressed with the managers of each department. We strive to provide the finest service in the area, and appreciate all comments, so issues can be addressed.

We hope to have the pleasure of serving you again!

Reviewed 19 August 2011

I was a bit leery when reading Crowne Plaza reviews . I had to stay close to the airport and to be able to use a shuttle - so my choice (due to last minute booking) was basically between Best Western Plus ( East Towne ) and Crowne Plaza. Best Western recent reviews seem to be a sure win over Crowne that gets through pangs of remodeling right now ( I didn’t see or hear any remodeling activity – other than old TVs lined up in one corridor ).
One thing that made me select Crowne nevertheless was a disclaimer on Best Western website that “shuttle to the airport needs to be pre-booked 24 hours in advance”. Maybe it is just it – a disclaimer, but frankly I had no time to call and check if they mean it. I also didn’t have 24 hour advance. Neither did I know yet what time is my flight out the next day. It is a very strange statement indeed – to advertise airport shuttle and then ask you to pre-book it 24 hours in advance. What if my flight got delayed? Tough luck?...
Anyways, I booked Crowne, bracing for the worst. Arriving to MSN I called the courtesy phone to get shuttle and was told that it is there , at the airport already. Unfortunately , my bag was lost by United and I had to stay and file the paperwork. Not to worry , I was told – they will drop passengers off and be right back. And they were – in 15 minutes sharp. Nice.
The reception was quick and efficient. Lobby looks quite nice , if a bit chlorinated due to pool area being literally inside the atrium. I didn’t use the pool but it looks lovely – bright with many windows outside, good size and not claustrophobic. I got a room on the 5th floor .When opening the door my first reaction was to check my reservation if I made a mistake and forgot to book non-smoking room. The smell of smoke was overwhelming. I rushed to the phone to complain but noticed that room itself was smelling clean – actually , not smelling at all ( if you know what I mean _ no chemical sprays)., I thought , strange -it is only the entrance that was absolutely stinky. I figured out the culprit immediately – and this was the only complaint, an unforgivable one to the maintenance people. The AC filter looked like it was not changed since the hotel was built. And it is probably the case. The layer of dust accumulated on it was unbelievable , about an inch deep . it looked more like clothes dryer lint filter after drying 10 chenille sweaters :-). Dust was hanging from the opening in big chunks, like some exotic fruits. Really unbelievable and gross. Dear people of Crowne Plaza – please , please change the filters now !!! The smoke smell was undoubtedly coming from there. Once I turned off AC , smoky smell stopped like by magic. Luckily the day was not hot enough to warrant the AC.
Everything else was just fine and nice. About the average to better Crowne Plaza. Good quality bed with enough pillows, very clean and maintained bathroom. The bathtub was actually sparkling !
Free internet was fast and reliable. Water quality is good enough to drink without flinching. There was ice maker and microwave near elevator – microwave was a welcome addition to have.
The area is good – the mall is across the street , easily reachable without danger to life crossing a busy street. Just turn right about 150 feet to use pedestrian crossing. There is McDonalds, Panera Brerad and several Starbucks outlets – including one in the lobby. People working at the hotel were very nice and cheerful without being overly familiar.
Overall, a very pleasant stay – particularly because my expectations were low . I was happier than I expected.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
CrownePlazaGM, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2011

I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for posting your comments on Trip Advisor. We appreciate our guests taking the time to do so. I assure you the A/C filter being changed has been addressed. This is something that is done on a regular basis.

We strive to provide the finest service in the area, and look forward to having you stay with us in the future.

Reviewed 15 August 2011

Chose this hotel b/c they allow pets & it was close to the downtown area & supposedly it had recently been remodeled. The lobby was bright & clean looking....but that's where the ambiance stopped. The room was dingy & smelled awful. The carpet had multiple cigarette burns & it was a NON-SMOKING room!! The bathroom was filthy!! The glasses still had lipstick stains on them from the previous guests.... Needless to say, we will never return!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Blair0270
CrownePlazaGM, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2011

I appreciate you taking the time to give us your comments regarding your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza, Madison, WI. Although it is obvious you did not enjoy your stay, negative comments are appreciated, so we can take care of those issues. The housekeeping issues you mentioned have been addressed with the Housekeeping Manager. You are correct we are a non-smoking hotel, and we do assess a fee when we know someone has smoked in the room.

Again, thank you for your comments. We strive to provide the finest service in the area, and it is very upsetting when we fall short of a guests expectations.

Reviewed 12 August 2011

To my surprise the Mall was located directly across from the hotel. The staff was very accommodating with room request and late check out. Rooms were clean and beds heavenly. Easy access from freeway. Car wash next door for those like myself who travel at night and need a quick clean in the morning. McDonalds next door for a quick bite.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
CrownePlazaGM, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2011

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor. We appreciate all comments posted as we strive to provide the finest service in the Madison area.
We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Reviewed 9 August 2011

I really wanted to give 3 1/2 stars, but I can't. To compensate for the rating that's a little lower than I wanted to give, I'll emphasize the strengths of this Crowne Plaza.

It's convenient to the airport. We arrived on a delayed flight and were happy to get the free shuttle right away, and it just took a few minutes.

The lobby area is very pleasant, light and airy.

The breakfast was fine, nothing spectacular but tasty and reasonably priced.

I asked for and got two doubles, which was important because I was traveling with my son.

Good hot water, good water pressure.

Excellent new television (so maybe the old ones that others complained about have been replaced).

We left the next morning, so I didn't spend much time at the Crowne Plaza, but in sum: everything worked fine, no complaints, but don't expect an Intercontinental!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Crito0
CrownePlazaGM, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2011

I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. You are correct, that we have recently upgraded all the televisions in the hotel. We have also renovated one floor with new carpet, beds, headboard, and fresh paint. Although I know it was not your choice to stay over in Madison, however we are glad you stayed with us.

We strive to provide the finest service in the area, and hope to see you again.

Reviewed 29 July 2011

This is (probably) our 10th night at this hotel in the past couple years. I stay exclusively at "Holiday Inn" properties due to business requirements and obtaining Platinum status in their Priority club the past few years. We have family in Madison in a smaller home so it's easy to stay a few miles away at a reasonable business rate and get a good night sleep plus some amenities from being a Platinum member. My wife is always along and we enjoy the clean rooms and friendly staff. We occasionally use the pool/hot tub and stop for a tap beer at their pub and grab either a Starbucks or buffet breakfast in the morning.
This is an older hotel but they continue to keep it in good shape: good HVAC, rooms are quiet despite being right on Hwy 151 Washington Ave (about 1 mi from I90/94). They are upgrading all rooms to large HDTVs. The only problems tend to be some Fall weekends Sep-Oct where they only allow 2 night stays due to UW Badger football games; we have learned that and schedule alternate weekends when the Badgers are out of town (MUCH calmer and less traffic then anyway!).

Room Tip: We usually have a NE view but the rooms are well insulated/quiet. I'd probably avoid a SE room.