“Great Staff - maintenance and up keep lacking”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison
Ranked #53 of 64 Hotels in Madison
Reviewed 28 September 2013

The hotel is in serirous need of maintenance and updating. Outlets in bathroom didn't work. Paint and wallpaper peeling in room. Paint chipped on doors. Bed was in poor shape.

On a bright note every staff member I talked with was pleasant and helpful. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Sandy H, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor. Thank you for your kind words in regards to the staff. I would like to apologize for the room issues you incured. I assure you they are being addressed with the engineering department. I don't know if you let the front desk know about the outlets not working, as they could have moved you to another room, or had engineering repair them.

Our goal is to always exceed our guest's expectations, and certainly that did not happen during your stay, and I do apologize for that.

Reviewed 24 September 2013

Came to Madison for a Badger game weekend and four of us stayed in two rooms here. Hotel was good. When you walk in you'll see the wonderful indoor pool. Very nice for this level of hotel! We actually never used it but I was disappointed I didn't bring my suit and we didn't have time. We were on the 6th floor, which was some special "club" level, but didn't see any benefit to being up there. They had a club room which was closed the entire time we were there? And, our room was cold and the problem couldn't be fixed by a technician so we needed to use extra blankets all night. There's a Starbucks in the lobby, which we were excited about as we got up Sunday morning, but it was closed by 11:30 Sunday? Seemed odd. The staff at the front desk was super friendly and helpful! I'd stay here again, but I wouldn't pay as much as we did to do so. .. try for a deal.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank BlueEyeTours
Sandy H, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2013

I would like to thank you for posting your comments on Trip Advisor in regards to your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Madison. We are certainly glad you enjoyed your stay with us; however I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you incured in regards to the heating problem.
Unfortunately the lounge on the Club floor is not opened on the weekends, and we do close Starbucks at 11:00AM, which is the time the restaurant closes for breakfast. I am sorry this was not told to you upon check in.
We do hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you during your next visit to Madison.

Reviewed 21 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza for a conference. The room was $400 a night. We're struggling to understand just what we got for the premium that we paid, aside from a floor that was accessible only by a key card, and a breakfast that was no better than any of the cheaper hotels in which I've stayed that include breakfast. What's more, it had a tiny little gym, which made it impossible to work out if there were more than two people interested in working out the same time. The location was also unremarkable, located between downtown and the airport, and near nothing to speak of with regards to dining or entertainment. There is a bar and restaurant downstairs, and we were treated to a rather snarky bartender, who told us when we arrived late on our evening of check-in and were looking for a drink, "I'm done with my shift and I'm getting out of here". (We did get a begrudging beer.) I'm usually not one to post anything but positive feedback, but honestly I would not stay at this hotel again if the room were free.

• Stayed: September 2013

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor. Although it was very disappointing to hear that you were not happy with the hotel, it does assist me in correcting issues for future guests. I assure you all issues with be addressed with the appropriate personnel.

Our goal is to always exceed our guest's expectations, by providing the finest service in the area.

Please accept my sincere apology that we did not exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 21 September 2013

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza about 15 years ago and the decor seemed outdated then. During a recent visit (booked by my boss) it looked like the carpeting in the room hadn't been cleaned, much less replaced, since then. There were spots and stains all over the rug. Walking barefoot in this room was out of the question.

To be fair, the bedding seemed relatively clean and fresh, and after an hour or two the temperature rose to the level that I could take off my coat.

The stopper in the bathtub was pulled out of the drain and sitting next to it. I don't know why the maintenance people hadn't fixed it.

The worst, most disgusting moment came in the morning when I tried to use the coffee maker. One of the supposedly clean coffee mugs was half-filled with old coffee! There was still a used coffee packet sitting in the machine. The following day the holder for the coffee packet was gone (the cleaner must have seen it sitting in the tray and thrown it out), rendering the coffee maker useless. Obviously the cleaners never actually replace the coffee mugs or glasses in the rooms.

In addition, when I returned to the room the second night there was used toilet paper sitting in the toilet. This wasn't there when I left the room in the morning.

With the obviously lax hygiene issues at this hotel, it makes me wonder about the cleanliness issues that aren't quite so obvious. They really need to pay more attention!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Sandy H, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2013

I would like to take the opportunity to apologize for the issues you incured during your recent stay with us. There is absolutely no excuse for the cleanliness issue, and I assure you it will be discussed and action will be taken, with the Housekeeping Manager. This is not typical and it is very disappointing to hear your comments. The maintenance issues will be discussed as well. In regards to the carpet, we do clean them on a regular basis, and we are hoping to have all guest room carpet replaced by year end.

Once again please accept my sincere apology.

Reviewed 17 September 2013

The property is pretty old and seriously needs renovation. The location is good even though its far away from city center. If I start to tell about the problems in facilities like shower, carpet, etc., it will be a long story, lot of things need to be fixed. The house keeping is total disaster of the property and after lot of complaints they changed my linen in my 4th night stay. The only great thing about the hotel is the staff in front office and guest relationship manager Ms.kirsten handle the guest in a professional way and she supported us in the issues. The break fast is another terrible that even it does not matches the normal high star hotel standards. The rates are too high for the hotel standards.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Sandy H, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2013

Thank you for posting your comments on Trip Advisor. All comments are certainly welcomed as it assist us in areas that need to be addressed. I aplogize for the housekeeping issue you encountered, as well as the breakfast issues. I assure you all will be addressed with the apropriate personnel. Thank you for you positive comments in regards to Kristen and the front desk staff. Those comments are passed on as well.
We understand you have many choices when it comes to booking your stay in Madison, and I do hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you in the future, so we may demonstrate that was not typical of the service you receive at the Crowne Plaza.

Reviewed 13 September 2013

I stayed in this hotel for three nights. The air conditioning and TV were not working when I arrived in my room. They sent up the engineer who got them running; the air was set at 60 with fan on high and the room was barely comfortable. There was a big rip in the curtains which let sunlight in, a slat missing off the dresser and you had to hold the knob down to get the toilet to flush. This was the "club level" which needed your room key to get to in the elevators; only worked part of the time. Very disappointing stay. I've done this trip several years in a row, but will reconsider before staying there next year.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor. Although it is always disappointing to receive negative comments, I assure you we use them to correct issues.
I truly apologize for all the inconveniences you incured during your stay with us.
Our goal is to always exceed our guests expectations, and clearly that did not happen.
I do hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you in the future, so we may demonstate that your stay was not typical of the hotel.

Reviewed 11 September 2013

I was glad I got the room on Priceline for $54. A/C was out in the room, complained and was told they were having problems and it wouldn't be any better changing rooms. Rooms were clean. Staff was very nice. Overall just not what you would expect from a Crowne Plaza property...much more Holiday Inn quality.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Sandy H, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor. I appreciate your kind words in respect to the staff and the cleanliness of the room.

I do apologize for the inconvenience you incurred with the air conditioning. I do not know why you weren't moved to another room, as it is not true that all the rooms have the same issue. I assure you I will discuss with the Guest Service Manager.

We do hope to serve you in the future.