“I love this place!”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison
Ranked #53 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Reviewed 23 October 2013

This hotel is bright and cheerful. I love the open atmosphere of the lobby bar and grill and the windows/skylights in the pool area.The Frank Lloyd Wright prairie influences (stones, wood, glass) are beautiful. I was there last weekend with my niece and two granddaughters. The staff was friendly and accommodating. All areas were clean, and it was obvious the maintenance man was working hard to keep things running smoothly. My niece especially enjoyed watching the Badgers game in the lobby bar with the friendly staff.

Room Tip: Ask the front desk staff. They are very accommodating and friendly.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Sandy H, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your kind comments. It is our goal to exceed our guests expectations, and your comments will be shared with the entire staff.

We hope to see you on your next visit to Madison.

Best regards,

Reviewed 18 October 2013

Clearly not a hotel for business. I arrived at 11 PM after a long drive and wasn't able to connect to the internet. I called IBAHN the internet service provider and they were able to get me on right away. As it turned out that didn't matter as there was a problem with the access point on my floor. No engineer was available to reset the access point, but I was assured that it would happen at 7 a.m. When I tried to get on at 6:50 a.m. for my 7 a.m. meeting there was still no access. When I called again still no engineer on duty. I scrambled for the next hour to patch my meetings back together. At 8:30 after having to make two postponements I spoke with the general manager. She was oblivious that they had an internet problem. I asked the she call me back with an answer, which she did. At 8:35 a.m. she informed me that the engineer was in contact with IBAHN......nearly 1.5 hours after I had been told the issue would be resolved. The rooms were fair, but nothing special. Definitely not the hotel if you need to be in contact with the outside world. I agree with the other comments......lobby is rather nice, but the rest of the hotel does not match it. In general IHG hotels seem to have internet issues, because they do not manage it themselves.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Sandy H, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

I am in receipt of the comments you posted during your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Madison.

As I said when we spoke on the phone, I am truly sorry for the internet problem you encountered during your stay, and that you missed your meeting, due to the issue.

Once again, I do apologize.

Reviewed 12 October 2013

Our stay five day stay was less than pleasant. Other than the first floor, the establishment was tired, worn and in some cases just plain filthy. We should have been clued in by how filthy the elevator rugs were and how they remained that way our entire stay. The “suite” had thread bear arms on the furniture (stuffing coming out), a couch with no support to sit on, un-flushed toilet paper in the toilet, black grout in the shower (mold), sticky furniture, a bedroom remote that didn’t work and meatballs in the Club Room that had cooked almost dry and burning to the bottom of the pan.
The shower drain was partially pulled out and the tub unable to drain. Maintenance did respond quickly to find the biggest hairball that I’d ever seen; cleaned it in the toilet; left “yuck” on the shower mat; in leaving handled door handles with his wet hands. We wound up cleaning the tub and door handles.
We asked to move rooms; they had none available; they said they’d call our cell; they didn’t and by the next evening we wound up staying in the room.
The TV remote – never fixed. The touted Club Room was closed up at 7:30 one night - not open till 8 pm. We had a pile of dirty laundry outside our door for over 12 hours. No vacuuming of the floors took place over the weekend.
Asked for a printout of our bill to date since we’d being leaving early am – clerk couldn’t do it. Called for a 5 am wakeup call, repeated it twice - it never came.
As to the pros, the bar and restaurant area was very nice with the food and service excellent. Nice to have Starbucks right there in the lobby.

Room Tip: Look at it first
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor. Although needless to say they were not the comments we like to hear, and I assure you we use them to correct issues. I apologize for the Club Lounge not being opened until 8:00 PM and I will certainly discuss the the Food and Beverage department.

All of your issues have discussed with the various departments to make corrections.

Our goal is to always exceed our guest's expectations, and clearly with your stay we did not.

Once again, I truly apologize.

Reviewed 12 October 2013

We had reservations to stay at CP in Madison for a wedding. Their rates were exorbitant due to the World Dairy Council conference. We paid extra to stay on the Club Level...totally worthless.
We checked in and when my wife tried to take a shower, there was NO hot water. We called the front desk to ask for a different room, they told us there was no hot water in the entire hotel. We checked out and went to Courtyard by Marriott. When we checked out, they were checking in other guests and did not tell them about the hot water problem.

Room Tip: Do NOT pay extra to stay on the Club Level.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

I am in receipt of the comments you recently posted on Trip Advisor. I want to sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you incured during your brief stay with us.
Unfortunately there was an issue with the hot water which was repaired. The front desk agents certainly should have told you when you checked in, if they knew at that time.

Once again, I sincerely apologize, as our goal is to provide the finest service in the area.

Reviewed 7 October 2013

Nice modern hotel with a pool and small bar. Front desk staff was very friendly and welcoming. Our room was large and comfortable. We had a suite which included a living room with a refrigerator plus the usual couch, TV, etc. Bed and bed linens were very comfortable.

There were a few things that were troublesome with this hotel though. There seemed to be a short in the light in our bathroom as it flickered on and off quite a bit. Fortunately, it wasn't the main light in the bathroom by the mirror, but the one in the ceiling near the shower so there was still plenty of light, but the flickering was bothersome.

Another problem with the hotel is that although we made a reservation for 2 people (using the Entertainment Card rate), when we arrived at the hotel, they charged us $10 for an extra person (there were only 2 of us). They claimed it was an Entertainment Card thing, but we booked though the hotel's website and clearly asked for a room for 2 people. Since they upgraded us to a suite, we didn't complain too much.

The hotel is located in the commercial sprawl of eastern Madison near I94/I90. Easy access to the freeway and the shopping and chain restaurants of that area. But if you want to go downtown it's a bit of a drive or a cab ride to get there.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Sandy H, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments in regards to your recent visit at the Crowne Plaza Madison. I would like to thank you for your kind words regarding the front desk staff.
I would like to apologize for the inconvenience of the light flickering in your room. In the future please call the front desk so they can have engineering repair this type of issue.
I am also sorry about the confusion on the extra person charge, but I am glad you were upgraded to a suite.
Our goal is to provide the finest service in the area, and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you in the future.

Best regards,

Reviewed 30 September 2013

Where to begin: Room careworn with carpet trim as baseboards pulling away from walls, expensive-looking prints crooked on walls, and tight beds in rather spacious bedroom oddly placed (in double one bed is flush against wall---why?). Air handling needs tune up -- very loud so tried windows which only open 4 inches to let fresh air in but heavy drapes cover the window. Mattress hard and cheap; silly when they've misspent money advertising about their great pillow selection. As I don't sleep on top of a pillow the mattress is key. Desk staff very slow no matter what time of day; some nice but some snippy. Be prepared to be awakened by cleaning staff at 8:10am knocking door to door with the sing-song refrain of "Housekeeping." Unpleasant experience.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank kumbayawisconsin6
Sandy H, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

I would like to apologize for the inconveniences you incured during your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza-Madison. I would hope that the front desk would have offered to move you to a different room, as it seems you had several issues you should not have had to deal with.

We pride ourselves on providing the finest service in the area, and I truly apologize we did not exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 30 September 2013

My husband and I usually stay at the Crowne Plaza whenever we are traveling to and from the Madison Airport. It is easy to get to, right off Interstate 90-94 ext #135A. The location is also convenient to shopping and restaurants, and most are within walking distance. They have an airport shuttle and free parking (which is one of the main reasons we stay)
The hotel is in need of updating and repairs. With all the positives in the area, it should be rated better than it is. I was very disappointed that they had changed/reduced the restaurant area, it's really pretty basic, nothing special. We went across the street to a real restaurant! The front desk staff was friendly and seemed interested when we had a question, but that is about all the pluses I can think of. There are other hotels in the area and will probably check them out before we go back to The Crowne Plaza.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jan N

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor. We appreciate all comments, so issues may be addressed. The lobby/restaurant area was updated several years ago, so I'm sure it is quiet different than it was during your last visit. We are hoping to re-do guest rooms within the next several months.

Again, thank you for your comments and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you in the future.