“NO AIRCONDITIONING”

Ranked #50 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“NO AIRCONDITIONING”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

I have stayed at several Crown Plaza hotels, and have always thought them to be quality hotels-not this one! Upon check-in, we were not told that the air conditioning had been turned off for the year (we checked in on Nov. 2) and that the rooms without opening windows would be hot. Shouldn't that be disclosed, especially when the person checking in is 8 months pregnant?? My husband and I got ready for the wedding we were attending and left the room in the afternoon to return around 11 to about 80 degrees. We tried to sleep and finally I called the front desk at 3 a.m. to be told about the air conditioning and that they could move us to a new room. Since we were getting up at 6 I didn't see the point. What kind of hotel has a separate air conditioning and heating system that can only be used one at a time???? The worst part is that it cost us $150 a night for this sauna. We won't be coming back to Madison anytime soon, or at least not the Crowne Plaza. DON'T STAY HERE!

Room Tip: DON'T STAY HERE-or ask for an outside room that has windows that open.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Sandy H, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
I want to take the opportunity to apologize for the experience you encountered during your recent stay with us. I assure you I personally would have been just as frustrated as you were.
I am not sure what the problem was with the A/C however it will be addressed with the Engineering Department.

Once again, please accept my sincere apology.

Sandy Harper

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
WI
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

Relatively nice hotel in Madison. Recently the seemed to have discontinued the one comp drink per night you stay; that was a nice touch. Rooms are generally clean and nice large TVs. Some rooms have been updated, others have very old mattresses. My biggest problem is the HVAC. I stay here often and have tried rooms on every floor--most all have HVAC problems--the unit is in the ceiling in the entryway and the thermostat is on the middle wall. Setting the temp doesn't seem to have any affect on modifying the room temperature in most rooms. Calls to maintenance bring them up to fiddle, but rarely effects a functional repair. Internet service is fair to good here, but if your near the ends of the hallways, the signal can be weak.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Madison.

I want to apologize for the HVAC issue you encountered. Our goal is to always exceed our guest's expectations, and it is very disappointing when we don't. We are in the process of completing some upgrades to the hotel, which should be completed within the next 90 days.

We do hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you in the future.

Wausau, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

We stayed here while visiting Madison and liked the close proximity to many restaurants and stores. Because we had booked our room through Priceline, they did not honor our prior request for a king bed and gave us two double beds. Though we were disappointed by that, the room was very nice. The beds were comfortable, the bathroom was clean, and the wi-fi worked fine. The only downside was that the carpeting was stained and needed replacing. I would stay here again if we could get the same reasonable rate. Otherwise, I would choose one of the newer nearby hotels that offer a free breakfast and king and queen beds.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor in regards to your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Madison. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

We will be replacing some of the guest room carpet within the next 90 days.

I am sorry we weren't able to provide you with your room request, hopefully if you give us the opportunity to serve you in the future we can honor your request.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013 via mobile

I reserved my room through Hotwire so it was much cheaper than the normal price but everything was wonderful. Very clean, beautiful spacious lobby, great hotel staff that let us check in 2.5 hours early. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed October 2013
Sandy H, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Thank you very much for the kind comments you posted on Trip Advisor. We strive to provide the finest service in the area, and we are so glad we provided you with an excellent experience.

We hope to see you again in the near future!!

Galesville, WI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

This hotel is bright and cheerful. I love the open atmosphere of the lobby bar and grill and the windows/skylights in the pool area.The Frank Lloyd Wright prairie influences (stones, wood, glass) are beautiful. I was there last weekend with my niece and two granddaughters. The staff was friendly and accommodating. All areas were clean, and it was obvious the maintenance man was working hard to keep things running smoothly. My niece especially enjoyed watching the Badgers game in the lobby bar with the friendly staff.

Room Tip: Ask the front desk staff. They are very accommodating and friendly.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your kind comments. It is our goal to exceed our guests expectations, and your comments will be shared with the entire staff.

We hope to see you on your next visit to Madison.

Ottumwa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

Clearly not a hotel for business. I arrived at 11 PM after a long drive and wasn't able to connect to the internet. I called IBAHN the internet service provider and they were able to get me on right away. As it turned out that didn't matter as there was a problem with the access point on my floor. No engineer was available to reset the access point, but I was assured that it would happen at 7 a.m. When I tried to get on at 6:50 a.m. for my 7 a.m. meeting there was still no access. When I called again still no engineer on duty. I scrambled for the next hour to patch my meetings back together. At 8:30 after having to make two postponements I spoke with the general manager. She was oblivious that they had an internet problem. I asked the she call me back with an answer, which she did. At 8:35 a.m. she informed me that the engineer was in contact with IBAHN......nearly 1.5 hours after I had been told the issue would be resolved. The rooms were fair, but nothing special. Definitely not the hotel if you need to be in contact with the outside world. I agree with the other comments......lobby is rather nice, but the rest of the hotel does not match it. In general IHG hotels seem to have internet issues, because they do not manage it themselves.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Sandy H, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
I am in receipt of the comments you posted during your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Madison.

As I said when we spoke on the phone, I am truly sorry for the internet problem you encountered during your stay, and that you missed your meeting, due to the issue.

Once again, I do apologize.

Sandy Harper

Travellers are raving about these Madison hotels

Loomis, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

Our stay five day stay was less than pleasant. Other than the first floor, the establishment was tired, worn and in some cases just plain filthy. We should have been clued in by how filthy the elevator rugs were and how they remained that way our entire stay. The “suite” had thread bear arms on the furniture (stuffing coming out), a couch with no support to sit on, un-flushed toilet paper in the toilet, black grout in the shower (mold), sticky furniture, a bedroom remote that didn’t work and meatballs in the Club Room that had cooked almost dry and burning to the bottom of the pan.
The shower drain was partially pulled out and the tub unable to drain. Maintenance did respond quickly to find the biggest hairball that I’d ever seen; cleaned it in the toilet; left “yuck” on the shower mat; in leaving handled door handles with his wet hands. We wound up cleaning the tub and door handles.
We asked to move rooms; they had none available; they said they’d call our cell; they didn’t and by the next evening we wound up staying in the room.
The TV remote – never fixed. The touted Club Room was closed up at 7:30 one night - not open till 8 pm. We had a pile of dirty laundry outside our door for over 12 hours. No vacuuming of the floors took place over the weekend.
Asked for a printout of our bill to date since we’d being leaving early am – clerk couldn’t do it. Called for a 5 am wakeup call, repeated it twice - it never came.
As to the pros, the bar and restaurant area was very nice with the food and service excellent. Nice to have Starbucks right there in the lobby.

Room Tip: Look at it first
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor. Although needless to say they were not the comments we like to hear, and I assure you we use them to correct issues. I apologize for the Club Lounge not being opened until 8:00 PM and I will certainly discuss the the Food and Beverage department.

All of your issues have discussed with the various departments to make corrections.

Our goal is to always exceed our guest's expectations, and clearly with your stay we did not.

Once again, I truly apologize.