“Black mold”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison
Ranked #52 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Reviewed 11 November 2013

The room looked like it was in a 3rd world country. It had black mold and peeling wallpaper with black mold. I had to switch rooms and the hotel agents did not apologize or offer and form of compensation.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

Dear WorldTravelerUS1,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. Let me take this opportunity to apologize for the unusual condition of the first room you received. I am glad that our staff was able to rectify the problem. I would like to assure you that we take each comment seriously as it has always been the goal of our hotel to deliver only the best quality services and facilities. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 3 November 2013

I have stayed at several Crown Plaza hotels, and have always thought them to be quality hotels-not this one! Upon check-in, we were not told that the air conditioning had been turned off for the year (we checked in on Nov. 2) and that the rooms without opening windows would be hot. Shouldn't that be disclosed, especially when the person checking in is 8 months pregnant?? My husband and I got ready for the wedding we were attending and left the room in the afternoon to return around 11 to about 80 degrees. We tried to sleep and finally I called the front desk at 3 a.m. to be told about the air conditioning and that they could move us to a new room. Since we were getting up at 6 I didn't see the point. What kind of hotel has a separate air conditioning and heating system that can only be used one at a time???? The worst part is that it cost us $150 a night for this sauna. We won't be coming back to Madison anytime soon, or at least not the Crowne Plaza. DON'T STAY HERE!

Room Tip: DON'T STAY HERE-or ask for an outside room that has windows that open.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Sandy H, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

I want to take the opportunity to apologize for the experience you encountered during your recent stay with us. I assure you I personally would have been just as frustrated as you were.
I am not sure what the problem was with the A/C however it will be addressed with the Engineering Department.

Once again, please accept my sincere apology.

Reviewed 1 November 2013

Relatively nice hotel in Madison. Recently the seemed to have discontinued the one comp drink per night you stay; that was a nice touch. Rooms are generally clean and nice large TVs. Some rooms have been updated, others have very old mattresses. My biggest problem is the HVAC. I stay here often and have tried rooms on every floor--most all have HVAC problems--the unit is in the ceiling in the entryway and the thermostat is on the middle wall. Setting the temp doesn't seem to have any affect on modifying the room temperature in most rooms. Calls to maintenance bring them up to fiddle, but rarely effects a functional repair. Internet service is fair to good here, but if your near the ends of the hallways, the signal can be weak.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Madison.

I want to apologize for the HVAC issue you encountered. Our goal is to always exceed our guest's expectations, and it is very disappointing when we don't. We are in the process of completing some upgrades to the hotel, which should be completed within the next 90 days.

We do hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you in the future.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

We stayed here while visiting Madison and liked the close proximity to many restaurants and stores. Because we had booked our room through Priceline, they did not honor our prior request for a king bed and gave us two double beds. Though we were disappointed by that, the room was very nice. The beds were comfortable, the bathroom was clean, and the wi-fi worked fine. The only downside was that the carpeting was stained and needed replacing. I would stay here again if we could get the same reasonable rate. Otherwise, I would choose one of the newer nearby hotels that offer a free breakfast and king and queen beds.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor in regards to your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Madison. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

We will be replacing some of the guest room carpet within the next 90 days.

I am sorry we weren't able to provide you with your room request, hopefully if you give us the opportunity to serve you in the future we can honor your request.

Reviewed 24 October 2013 via mobile

I reserved my room through Hotwire so it was much cheaper than the normal price but everything was wonderful. Very clean, beautiful spacious lobby, great hotel staff that let us check in 2.5 hours early. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: October 2013
Sandy H, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

Thank you very much for the kind comments you posted on Trip Advisor. We strive to provide the finest service in the area, and we are so glad we provided you with an excellent experience.

We hope to see you again in the near future!!

Reviewed 23 October 2013

This hotel is bright and cheerful. I love the open atmosphere of the lobby bar and grill and the windows/skylights in the pool area.The Frank Lloyd Wright prairie influences (stones, wood, glass) are beautiful. I was there last weekend with my niece and two granddaughters. The staff was friendly and accommodating. All areas were clean, and it was obvious the maintenance man was working hard to keep things running smoothly. My niece especially enjoyed watching the Badgers game in the lobby bar with the friendly staff.

Room Tip: Ask the front desk staff. They are very accommodating and friendly.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your kind comments. It is our goal to exceed our guests expectations, and your comments will be shared with the entire staff.

We hope to see you on your next visit to Madison.

Reviewed 18 October 2013

Clearly not a hotel for business. I arrived at 11 PM after a long drive and wasn't able to connect to the internet. I called IBAHN the internet service provider and they were able to get me on right away. As it turned out that didn't matter as there was a problem with the access point on my floor. No engineer was available to reset the access point, but I was assured that it would happen at 7 a.m. When I tried to get on at 6:50 a.m. for my 7 a.m. meeting there was still no access. When I called again still no engineer on duty. I scrambled for the next hour to patch my meetings back together. At 8:30 after having to make two postponements I spoke with the general manager. She was oblivious that they had an internet problem. I asked the she call me back with an answer, which she did. At 8:35 a.m. she informed me that the engineer was in contact with IBAHN......nearly 1.5 hours after I had been told the issue would be resolved. The rooms were fair, but nothing special. Definitely not the hotel if you need to be in contact with the outside world. I agree with the other comments......lobby is rather nice, but the rest of the hotel does not match it. In general IHG hotels seem to have internet issues, because they do not manage it themselves.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Sandy H, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

I am in receipt of the comments you posted during your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Madison.

As I said when we spoke on the phone, I am truly sorry for the internet problem you encountered during your stay, and that you missed your meeting, due to the issue.

Once again, I do apologize.