“Would never recommend this hotel”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison
Ranked #52 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Reviewed 25 January 2014

I recently spent three nights at this hotel. The cons far outweigh this pros, and I could not recommend this hotel. I've stayed at the Cambria and Holiday Inn about a mile away and they are much better.

Cons:
~Freezing cold lobby including the bar area. I know it is winter but they should be prepared for a Wisconsin winter.
~Freezing cold room - the heat was turned up to 90 and it was barely tolerable. Bring warm jammies!
(When I wrote a note for the maid that the room was cold, she just turned the heat up to 90. Didn't really help.)
~Reports of spiders in other rooms from travelling companions
~Flaking paint on the bathroom ceiling
~Mystery "water" (I can only hope it was just water) from the bathroom ceiling one night in the area of the flaking paint.

Pros:
~Staff is friendly - this is the only thing that kept me from rating this hotel as terrible.

You can do better for lodging on the east side of Madison. Definitely.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Bustergirl
There are newer reviews for Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison

Reviewed 19 January 2014

My experience with this hotel is limited to just one night, but we found it to be very comfortable and pleasant. Their pet fee is only $25, which is very cheap relative to the quality of hotel. We choose to stay at the Crowne Plaza because others of this quality were charging $75-$100 for our dog. They even provide a "gift bag" for your pet at check-in.

Rooms were clean and spacious, as were common areas. We didn't eat at the on-site restaurant or bar, or use any of the pool/fitness facilities. The hotel is in a great area with a lot of shopping and restaurants nearby. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 January 2014

The room was very ordinary, but very clean. Nothing to stand out about the room itself, but I guess that is a good thing. The lobby is very nice, with a beautiful pool, a bar and lounge, and plenty of space. There is even an arcade for the kids. No complaints, I would definitely stay here again on my next trip to Madison.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 January 2014

We stay at Crowne Plaza whenever we come to visit son at college and haven't ever been disappointed. People always friendly,easy, and welcoming. Rooms all redone and comfortable.Only thing I'd ask for is another blanket for bed. Great pool/hot tub area. Across street fromEast Towne Mall and whatever food you'd want surrounding it. 10minutes from downtown and colleges.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 December 2013

I reserved two rooms at the Madison Crowne Plaza via Priceline. A few days before our arrival, I called the hotel and spoke to a manager to make sure our late arrival was noted, and to discuss a few concerns I had as a result of reading some recent Trip Advisor reviews. My husband has allergies and asthma, so I was concerned about the mold and ceiling leaks mentioned in some reviews. I was assured that renovations had resolved those issues, and that we would be pre-assigned to rooms on the fourth floor, where the renovations had been completed.

Upon arrival, although no one else was checking in at the time and there were two people working the desk, our front desk attendant seemed a little preoccupied. During our check in, her young daughter appeared in the lobby, which seemed a surprise to her. She commented that she didn't know why she was there, and that she wondered where her babysitter was. It was about 10:30 p.m., and we just wanted to get to our room and relax, so the situation with her daughter was frustrating, because of the attention it took away from checking us in. Finally, she handed me two sets of room keys, one of which I gave to my daughters. They left for their room while we finalized the check in process. By the time we got to the fourth floor, our daughters were back at the elevators planning to go back to the front desk, because there were people in their room! While I have heard of such a thing happening, I had never experienced it, and was quite concerned. So we dropped off our bags in our room and went back to the desk. There didn't seem to be any explanation as to how it could have happened. The front desk clerk who checked us in said she would deal with the issue later, and offered a suite as a replacement, due to the problem with the first room. Our daughters quickly claimed the suite, and went off to their room. Apologies were offered, while I asked how this kind of thing can happen, especially when our rooms had, supposedly, been pre-assigned. I felt the least they could do was offer my husband and me a free drink, so I asked if that was possible. They gave me a coupon for one free drink, which was limited to certain beers and wine.

My husband and I went to the bar, ordered a beer and a martini, and asked if they served any food or snacks. The bartender said "no" to both, but advised we could find snacks at the small lobby store near the front desk. Knowing we had gone to the bar, the gentlemen at the front desk saw me choose a bag of Gardettos. He said they had the same snack at the bar, and it was complimentary. I thanked him for letting me know, and went back to the bar, asked the bartender if he had such snacks, and he replied "oh yeah, I guess we do!", and poured some into a glass. After the lone person at the bar with us left, the bartender began chatting with us about where we were from, etc. He proceeded to tell us how he was looking for a transfer to another Crowne Plaza, somewhere where it doesn't get so cold. He proceeded to express his displeasure with some parts of his life, and talked to us like we were drinking buddies, using the f-word once or twice. In hindsight, I don't know if we actually received a complimentary drink, because when we said we would sign for it to our room bill, we didn't get anything itemized. You might be seeing a theme here, relating to the title I gave this review, which in my opinion, suggests a loose style of management.

Our rooms, which should be the biggest concern of a hotel stay, were fine. The beds were comfortable, our daughters appreciated the refrigerator and microwave they had in their room, having had some leftover pizza for breakfast, and our shower and bathroom were nice. The shower had a great shower head and very good water pressure. The only minor issues in the bathroom were a slightly loose toilet installation, and that the shower curtain was a bit short, and therefore, didn't cover the entire opening. Fortunately, it didn't result in water on the floor, so it was fine. The shampoo, conditioner, soap, etc. were outstanding; they had a great scent.

Since we were traveling for the holidays, we had a lot of bags, etc., and tried to plan for our day by combining some things in our suitcases. We pulled out two items which we purchased for a gift exchange later that day, and set them on the bed. Somehow, with multiple trips to the car and "I'll take this, you take that" discussions, we left the two, unwrapped exchange gifts on the bed! When we realized what had happened, less than an hour after leaving the hotel, we called them to request that they hold them until we returned to Madison after Christmas. Although my first call suggested "no problem", a subsequent one indicated they hadn't been found, and asked that I call back. When I did so, I was told they were not found. Fortunately, they were not expensive gifts. Unfortunately, we were clearly dealing with dishonest employees, at some level.

So overall, it was not our best hotel experience. The hotel itself appeared well maintained, the lobby was nicely decorated, and the pool (visible from the lobby) seemed inviting. From a personnel level, however, it was quite disappointing. I can't say I would stay there again or recommend it to friends and family.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Dear bgonner,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Madison.

Karen G.

Reviewed 24 December 2013

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza for four nights while traveling on business in Madison. The accommodations were satisfactory. The lobby is open and bright; there is a pool just to the right of the lobby so you get hit with the smell of chlorine upon entering the hotel.

I had a room with two double beds and an arm-chair which made the room feel a little small, but the bed was comfortable and there was more than enough space to move around. The water pressure in the shower was great! The room was clean, although one day I came back to find a blue washcloth on the bathroom sink area (I assume left by housekeeping when they cleaned the room). Because I didn’t know what it had been used to clean, I didn’t touch or move it – but it was off to the side and out of the way.

When I first keyed into my room, there was a very strong smell kind of like sewage. While in the room it seemed to dissipate, but when I left and returned so did the smell. It smelled less the following night and by the third night it had disappeared. On the fourth night, the smell returned. It seemed to be strongest when it was snowing (first and fourth nights), so maybe there is a leak somewhere.

The front desk staff was very friendly, except for the gentleman working the front desk when I checked out. It was 5am (and very icy outside) so I’ll give him the benefit, but he was definitely unfriendly and I would even say surly. When I checked out, there was 1/4-inch of ice encasing my rental car and no ice scraper. I asked if they had a scraper or something like a scraper I could borrow, he acted as if that was a crazy request but went to look for one. He offered no apology or sympathy for my situation. He suggested I go to the gas station a block away to get one…I couldn’t drive there because I couldn’t see out the windows, and I wasn’t dressed for a walk there and back in 15 degree temperature. I realize there really isn’t anything more he could have done to assist me, but I was pretty turned off by his attitude.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Dear MDRoadWarriors,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate your interaction with the staff prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J

Reviewed 19 December 2013

This is my first ever negative review. As a Platinum Elite member of IHG, I checked in a few weeks ago to be put in a very unacceptable (and below what was guaranteed by my corporate rate) room. I voiced a concern and was told there was nothing else available. A coworker behind me with Gold Status checked in and was given a king size suite (same corporate rate) versus the small double room I received. When I answered the customer service review the following week, I received a call and a promise of points to be added to my account, as well as correction of the issue. Those points have never been issued to my account.

Last week I checked in and once again was given a double standard room while my coworkers (all male) were given king suites in accordance with the corporate agreement

. In addition, there was no hot water on the second morning. And there was a cold front and the bar and restaurant area were so cold we couldn't eat there. Our calls (there were 5 of us staying there) were ignored and we were told finally there would be hot water by 5:45am. We left at 7am and there was still NO hot water.

I will not be returning to this hotel, nor will anyone on this account.

Room Tip: If you have status with IHG, you need to call in advance and request a 6th floor room. I hope you h...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

Dear schambli ,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. We would like to address this with you further. We have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. We look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Regards,