“Very Good Stay”

Ranked #50 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Wisconsin
“Very Good Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

Flying out of Madison on a 6 a.m. flight and needed to travel to Madison and stay overnight because of bad weather predicted. Called around to hotels near the airport and the Crowne Plaza was the only one that had a 24 hour shuttle to the airport. Made the reservation over the telephone and the front desk was very helpful and when we arrived they were also very nice. Room was clean and comfortable and suited our needs. Ate at the small bar/restaurant and the waitress was friendly. Not a large selection on the menu but didn't go away hungry. Chekout was easy and shuttle on time to take us to the airport. Next time we have an early flight out of Madison, we won't hesitate to stay at the Crowne Plaza.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

Everything at the hotel was great BUT the bed was so hard I couldn't sleep. I already have back issues and couldn't get comfortable as the bed was like sleeping on the floor. Everything else was nice except for this and unfortunately, the sleeping/bed are a very important part of a stay in a hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014

I recently spent three nights at this hotel. The cons far outweigh this pros, and I could not recommend this hotel. I've stayed at the Cambria and Holiday Inn about a mile away and they are much better.

Cons:
~Freezing cold lobby including the bar area. I know it is winter but they should be prepared for a Wisconsin winter.
~Freezing cold room - the heat was turned up to 90 and it was barely tolerable. Bring warm jammies!
(When I wrote a note for the maid that the room was cold, she just turned the heat up to 90. Didn't really help.)
~Reports of spiders in other rooms from travelling companions
~Flaking paint on the bathroom ceiling
~Mystery "water" (I can only hope it was just water) from the bathroom ceiling one night in the area of the flaking paint.

Pros:
~Staff is friendly - this is the only thing that kept me from rating this hotel as terrible.

You can do better for lodging on the east side of Madison. Definitely.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Bustergirl

Travellers are raving about these Madison hotels

Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

My experience with this hotel is limited to just one night, but we found it to be very comfortable and pleasant. Their pet fee is only $25, which is very cheap relative to the quality of hotel. We choose to stay at the Crowne Plaza because others of this quality were charging $75-$100 for our dog. They even provide a "gift bag" for your pet at check-in.

Rooms were clean and spacious, as were common areas. We didn't eat at the on-site restaurant or bar, or use any of the pool/fitness facilities. The hotel is in a great area with a lot of shopping and restaurants nearby. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Peoria, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

The room was very ordinary, but very clean. Nothing to stand out about the room itself, but I guess that is a good thing. The lobby is very nice, with a beautiful pool, a bar and lounge, and plenty of space. There is even an arcade for the kids. No complaints, I would definitely stay here again on my next trip to Madison.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Hyannis, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

We stay at Crowne Plaza whenever we come to visit son at college and haven't ever been disappointed. People always friendly,easy, and welcoming. Rooms all redone and comfortable.Only thing I'd ask for is another blanket for bed. Great pool/hot tub area. Across street fromEast Towne Mall and whatever food you'd want surrounding it. 10minutes from downtown and colleges.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Waupaca, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

I reserved two rooms at the Madison Crowne Plaza via Priceline. A few days before our arrival, I called the hotel and spoke to a manager to make sure our late arrival was noted, and to discuss a few concerns I had as a result of reading some recent Trip Advisor reviews. My husband has allergies and asthma, so I was concerned about the mold and ceiling leaks mentioned in some reviews. I was assured that renovations had resolved those issues, and that we would be pre-assigned to rooms on the fourth floor, where the renovations had been completed.

Upon arrival, although no one else was checking in at the time and there were two people working the desk, our front desk attendant seemed a little preoccupied. During our check in, her young daughter appeared in the lobby, which seemed a surprise to her. She commented that she didn't know why she was there, and that she wondered where her babysitter was. It was about 10:30 p.m., and we just wanted to get to our room and relax, so the situation with her daughter was frustrating, because of the attention it took away from checking us in. Finally, she handed me two sets of room keys, one of which I gave to my daughters. They left for their room while we finalized the check in process. By the time we got to the fourth floor, our daughters were back at the elevators planning to go back to the front desk, because there were people in their room! While I have heard of such a thing happening, I had never experienced it, and was quite concerned. So we dropped off our bags in our room and went back to the desk. There didn't seem to be any explanation as to how it could have happened. The front desk clerk who checked us in said she would deal with the issue later, and offered a suite as a replacement, due to the problem with the first room. Our daughters quickly claimed the suite, and went off to their room. Apologies were offered, while I asked how this kind of thing can happen, especially when our rooms had, supposedly, been pre-assigned. I felt the least they could do was offer my husband and me a free drink, so I asked if that was possible. They gave me a coupon for one free drink, which was limited to certain beers and wine.

My husband and I went to the bar, ordered a beer and a martini, and asked if they served any food or snacks. The bartender said "no" to both, but advised we could find snacks at the small lobby store near the front desk. Knowing we had gone to the bar, the gentlemen at the front desk saw me choose a bag of Gardettos. He said they had the same snack at the bar, and it was complimentary. I thanked him for letting me know, and went back to the bar, asked the bartender if he had such snacks, and he replied "oh yeah, I guess we do!", and poured some into a glass. After the lone person at the bar with us left, the bartender began chatting with us about where we were from, etc. He proceeded to tell us how he was looking for a transfer to another Crowne Plaza, somewhere where it doesn't get so cold. He proceeded to express his displeasure with some parts of his life, and talked to us like we were drinking buddies, using the f-word once or twice. In hindsight, I don't know if we actually received a complimentary drink, because when we said we would sign for it to our room bill, we didn't get anything itemized. You might be seeing a theme here, relating to the title I gave this review, which in my opinion, suggests a loose style of management.

Our rooms, which should be the biggest concern of a hotel stay, were fine. The beds were comfortable, our daughters appreciated the refrigerator and microwave they had in their room, having had some leftover pizza for breakfast, and our shower and bathroom were nice. The shower had a great shower head and very good water pressure. The only minor issues in the bathroom were a slightly loose toilet installation, and that the shower curtain was a bit short, and therefore, didn't cover the entire opening. Fortunately, it didn't result in water on the floor, so it was fine. The shampoo, conditioner, soap, etc. were outstanding; they had a great scent.

Since we were traveling for the holidays, we had a lot of bags, etc., and tried to plan for our day by combining some things in our suitcases. We pulled out two items which we purchased for a gift exchange later that day, and set them on the bed. Somehow, with multiple trips to the car and "I'll take this, you take that" discussions, we left the two, unwrapped exchange gifts on the bed! When we realized what had happened, less than an hour after leaving the hotel, we called them to request that they hold them until we returned to Madison after Christmas. Although my first call suggested "no problem", a subsequent one indicated they hadn't been found, and asked that I call back. When I did so, I was told they were not found. Fortunately, they were not expensive gifts. Unfortunately, we were clearly dealing with dishonest employees, at some level.

So overall, it was not our best hotel experience. The hotel itself appeared well maintained, the lobby was nicely decorated, and the pool (visible from the lobby) seemed inviting. From a personnel level, however, it was quite disappointing. I can't say I would stay there again or recommend it to friends and family.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Dear bgonner,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Madison.

Karen G.