“Not the best deal”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison
Ranked #50 of 63 Hotels in Madison
“Not the best deal”
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

We put a bid in for $96.00 on Priceline and got it, with taxes and fees it was $118.00. However, when we got there we had to rent a roll away bed for $20 and we have a dog and that was $25. We had a room near the elevator, but it was nice room and we didn't hear any noise. Noteable annoyances, the bathtub wouldn't drain and the front desk is understaffed. We arrived there at around 4:30 and it took until 10:30 pm and two phone calls to get our rollaway bed

Stayed June 2014
Karen T, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear guest. Thank you for your comments. It is based upon our guests feedback that we strive to improve. We would appreciate an opportunity to make this right with you, Please feel free to call the hotel and ask for the General Manager. We hope to see you on your next trip to Madison. Have a great day...

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I stayed here when my plane was delayed due to a tornado. There is a free shuttle that picked me up from the airport and that was a sight for sore eyes at 3am. The person at the front desk said that breakfast was until 11am but that had changed to 10am, so I missed breakfast (again it was 3am so the desk attendant should get a break on that mistake). The room was a large suite with a big couch, desk and wet bar in the first room and then a large bathroom and bedroom. The bed was not the kind of plush affair I am getting used to at high-end hotels, but it was a nice one with a choice of pillows. This hotel is really about convenience and basic creature comforts. It gets the job done and is totally acceptable with many amenities.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest. Thank you for your comments. Glad we were able to be of service during such turbulant weather. Thank you for your business. We look forward to your next visit to Madison. Enjoy your day.
Duluth, Minnesota
Reviewed 29 June 2014

When we arrived to the hotel, it was about 9pm. There was one person checking guests in, with a line of about 5 or 6 people waiting. When we finally got up to our room, there was a pile of dirty towels on the bathroom floor, no soaps in the bathroom, and hair on the bed. We then had to go wait in another long line to express our complaints and were given a new room. This room was much better, however was in great need of updating.
We then took a trip to the pool. The pool was ice cold and the hottub was about 110 degrees and unbearable.
The beds were extremely stiff.
Breakfast was very disappointing for what we paid for it. The coffee was burnt, the eggs were cold, the food was mediocre. We could've went down the road to ihop and got better food, better service, and paid less.
There was a window in the lobby that was shattered, but still hanging, which seemed to be a safety hazard. There was large equipment in the lobby (scissor lifts, etc). Assuming to fix what had appeared to be a leaky roof as there was quite a bit of water damage and ceiling tiles missing.
Nobody seemed to care that we had a terrible experience, only giving us fake "sorry"s. We will never stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TorieandJosh
Karen T, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Guest. We are very sorry we did not meet your expectations. We would appreciate an opportunity to make this right with you. Please call the hotel direct and ask for the General Manger. We value your business. Thank you and have a good day...

Travellers are raving about these Madison hotels

Memphis, TN
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

The Crowne Plaza is aging, but is being kept quite well. My king suite was clean and spacious, though the sofa had some sagging and upon first entrance, the room has a bit of an odor that was probably due to its aging. Pricing at $179 was not a great value being that it is showing its age, but overall it was a good stay.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Karen T, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your feedback.
We are glad you had a positive experience overall in our hotel.
Thank you for making the Crowne Plaza your brand of choice.
Have a great day....
Saint Germain, Wisconsin
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I have stayed at the Crowne Plaza by the East Towne Mall on numerous occasions. I really love the pool! The exercise facilities get by but nothing special. I have been noticing some of the hall carpeting is getting worn and some major water damage near the front lobby. However, the room cleanliness has always been good. They do have options for eating in the lobby but I rarely take advantage of them...nothing free!! They have several conference rooms and I have had their food service lunches which are average. I think the staff is always very professional and helpful. The location is great! It is a bit strange as it is on an access road and sometimes returning to the main road can take awhile. It is right across from the East Towne Mall and very close to a Chipotle, Mc Donalds and Milio's Subs.

Room Tip: If you are a club member and get a room on the club level, they have a complimentary breakfast!! Lo...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Karen T, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Valued guest,
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.
We appreciate your business and we look forward to your next visit to
Madison. Thank you for making Crowne Plaza your hotel brand of choice.
Enjoy your day....
Savoy, Illinois
Reviewed 17 June 2014

After getting this hotel assigned to me through an accepted Priceline.com bid, I looked up some reviews. I saw some terrible reviews about how run down the place was and how awful it was. I was very concerned about taking my family (wife and three kids under 6). All I can say is that I'm not sure why everyone else had such a terrible experience, because mine was very good. The lobby was very clean and despite complaint of a water damaged ceiling, I saw none of that. The cherry picker in the lobby indicated that they were taking care of any damage that occurred over the winter. I found the entire staff, and even all the guests, to be very pleasant and friendly. The room was clean and the hallways were very well lit. The only complaint, which is very minor and would not keep me from staying here again, is that I would have expected the indoor pool to be heated. It unfortunately was not and was quite cold until I got used to it!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Valued Guest. Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback, we appreciate it. Thank you for making Crowne Plaza your hotel brand of choie. We look forward to your next visit to Madison---Have a great day...
portland or
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I'd probably give them a 3.5 if possible. Staff was great, check in fine and room large and clean. When you walk into the hotel. the pool is right there in the lobby. Kind of strange. Some people should not be in public in bathingsuits!

The room itself was good but the bathroom ceiling was about a foot lower than the rest of the room, and then when I got in the shower, the ceiling was almost touching my head. If you are over 6ft tall you'd have had to crunch over. Maybe ask about that at checkin as hopefully some have normal showers. I also lost the internet connection in the morning when I had work to do. To fix it, the only phone in the room was by the bed, across from the desk so I had to drag my laptop over and talk to someone at a tech company (The hotel xferred the call) to take time to fix it. They said for some reason my code had gone into a holding pattern.

Also, i got a free buffet but if you don't get it free, don't bother. It's around $11 and pretty much the same as what you get for free at other hotels. So between internet needs and breakfast, I will probably stay somewhere else next time, though if you get a good deal here it's fine.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Valued Guest,
I am sorry your expectations were not met during your recent stay in Madison. We would appreciate an opportunity to make this right with you. Please contact General Manager, Ousman directly at 608-244-4703. Thank you and have a good day...