“Clean, average service, aging building”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison
Ranked #53 of 64 Hotels in Madison
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night. We had reservations for two rooms that were made a month in advance; they changed one of the rooms to a king instead of doubles without notifying us prior to arrival, which caused an issue with one person in our party having to sleep on a rollaway bed. While they waived the normal upcharge for the rollaway, I thought it was bad form not to give us a break on the room since they changed our reservation without asking. They did allow early checkin for one room, which was nice since we were in town for an event that began at 1. The shuttle to the airport normally has a 3 mile radius limitation and they wouldn't go the extra 1.5 miles to get us to our event; while we didn't request a shuttle in advance and they did take us to a place within their restrictions that we caught another bus to our event, it seemed like bad form again to not just take us that extra mile. Shuttle driver Marques was great. The rooms were up to date in terms of decor but are aging. This hotel still charges for everything; wifi, breakfast, water...competitors in this price range offer most or all of these for free. Can't comment on quality of food because it was expensive enough we just ate at Ihop a half block away. Overall not exactly a negative experience but nothing about my stay convinced me this hotel is worth its rate for my next stay in the area.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Karen T, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear Guest, Thank you for your comments. I am sorry we did not meet your expectations.
We value your business and hope you will give us another try in the future. Have a great day..

Reviewed 7 August 2014

My first impression was of a lovely modern hotel with very friendly staff. That impression was sustained through the entire visit including the bellman who bid me "safe journey" as I was leaving. Parking is ample, which is a huge plus. The hotel is ideally located for a Madison, WI visit. The lobby is bright and welcoming with a pool area on the right and a quaint "Paris" shoppes area to the left. The front desk was staffed by cheerful attentive people. On the club level, I was offered both afternoon hot hors d'oeuvres and morning breakfast. Both the room and adjoining bathroom were spacious, well appointed and immaculately clean. Guests are even offered a "pillow menu" -how fun! This hotel would be my recommendation as a place to stay when in the Madison, WI area.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Karen T, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear Guest, We are so happy you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. I will pas along your comments to the team. Thank you for making Crowne Plaza your hotel brand of choice. We looking forward to seeing you again soon. Have a great day....

Reviewed 6 August 2014

We stayed here but one night and enjoyed its proximity to the local mall which offered a nice variety of eateries. The hotel was in good condition and the room was comfortable, but the pool and gym were a bit neglected. The bar and restaurant looked nice although we didn't choose to visit them.

I would have given a bit higher rating, but this property is supposed to be a premium level choice. It isn't quite up to that standard.

Room Tip: Our room was comfortable and I would assume that most here would be. It may be a bit quieter on the...

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments. I am sorry we did not exceed your expectations on this trip. We hope you will come back to visit and try us again. We value your business. Have a great day.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Stayed two nights here, only because it was prepaid for an event we were attending in nearby Sun Prairie. The room we stayed in was on the sixth floor "Club Level" and it included dirty hallway carpets, torn armrests on the sofa and some kind of leak from the AC vent or sprinkler...I just discovered that little leak at 11 p.m tonight, so I'm really not in the mood to change rooms at the moment. Anyway, Crown Plaza can do much, much better than this. Come on people!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Karen T, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear Guest, I am sorry the hotel did not meet your expectations. It is based on customer feedback that we strive towards improvement. We value your business and hope you will give us another try in the future. Thank you, and have a great day...

Reviewed 29 July 2014

My goal is to fairly evaluate a hotel for business or pleasure travel. For business travel this hotel ranks as one of the worst in my 25 years of travel. A short list of issues: The wireless internet ceases to exist past the hotel lobbies on the various floors. If you need any kind of internet access you will find yourself sitting in one of the lobbies. Forget internet in your room. In 2014 it is inexcusable for a hotel not to have useable internet. When I complained I was directed to call a number that ended up as a trouble center in India. Truly. To their credit they moved my room to a more central room (on the second day) where I found internet comparable to dial-up. The front desk staffing is a mess. Long lines during normal check-in times with one or two clerks. Nice folks but poorly trained, frustrated and marginally capable of getting you checked in. If you are in a hurry it is hopeless. I received and sent FedEx packages while staying at the hotel. On no occasion did they notify me of receipt of a package. I waited in line and could see a stack of FedEx and other packages lying in a pile on the floor. No call or notification advising me it had arrived. I had a package due for shipment on Thursday that went out the next Tuesday as they forgot. Mind you they had to be tripping over it as it was large and left sitting on the floor at their feet. The real concern is that absent my call to the hotel to find out why it had not shipped as promised, the package would still be there. Again, nice staff but no follow through. For a pleasure visit expect a very, very basic and old hotel. I was on the 4th floor initially and the rooms are ancient. The kind of carpet you don't walk on with bare feet. The popcorn ceiling is nasty and falling off. The main hallway carpet has so many stains you cannot discern the true color of the carpet. The 3rd floor is a little better. Clearly renovated in the last 10 years. Again, just don't look closely at the carpet or shower and you will survive. I heard others talking about getting their room through discount coupons for $70. If you are looking for a $70 a night room you found it. There is no rudder in the water here with little or no attention to detail outside of the entrance lobby. Wait, I forgot to tell you that when I called from the airport for a shuttle ride they told me it would be 45 minutes minimum before they could get me. The taxi ride took me 5 minutes. Again, if they are selling the hotel as a business hotel there has to be some minimum level of service. I pity the poor air crews who have to stay here.

Room Tip: The best tip is to drive on past. The hotel is in a suburban neighborhood about 15 minutes from dow...
3  Thank Traveler1Denver_Co
Karen T, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear Guest, I am very sorry we did not meet your expectations. Your comments are appreciated and will be shared with the team for training pusposes. It is based upon feedback from our guests that we strive for improvement. We value your business and hope you will give us another try the next time you are in Madison. Enjoy your day...

Reviewed 26 July 2014

We stayed one night on our way to someplace else. The property is a little older and there was some wear and tear on the furniture. The room was a little smaller than some others but we found a place to put the crib for our one year old. The location was convenient for us. The front desk was very nice and accommodating. We did not take advantage of breakfast, the pool, or other accommodations.

For what you pay (although we understand Madison hotels are more expensive in general than other places we stayed on our trip), you don't get a much better experience (thus, the average). We would probably stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Karen T, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear Guest, I am sorry we did not meet your expectations. It is through comments from our guests that we strive towards improvement. We do hope you will try us again, next time in Madison. We value your bsuiness. Enjoy your day---

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Stayed at this hotel for a workshop and got a special deal that included breakfast buffet. This hotel is located near a major suburban shopping mall, that includes many good quality lower priced choices. The only catch is that you'd have to cross a 8-lane highway or drive. I have to commend this hotel for the guest service - I left behind a pair of designer brand reading glasses in the room. I called an hour after I checked out (a Saturday) and they fedexed it to me so that I received it on Monday. Other than that, the hotel is about average. The toilet is a bit wobbly and the hallway carpet is stained. The TV remote control was missing first and the replacement was semiworking. Bed is comfortable and the linen is fine. No noise issue. Lots of flight crew milling about though.

Room Tip: Request a room that is not overlooking the indoor swimming pool, which shines bright lights even in...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Karen T, Owner at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Dear Guest---Thank you for your comments. I am so glad were were able to help get your glasses back to you. We value your business. We look forward to seeing you the next time you are in Madison. Have a great day....