“Hard beds, dated rooms, cold staff”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison
Ranked #50 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Yankton, South Dakota
“Hard beds, dated rooms, cold staff”
Reviewed 1 December 2009

Staying 3 nights in Madison for Thanksgiving we deceided to move up to the Crowne Plaza our last night as a treat and it was a huge mistake. The hotel provided us with a free upgrade because of my Platinum status with the chain. The room has dated with peeling paint and stained carpet. The bed was hard, old, and extremely uncomfortable. When I alerted the front desk staff they showed me 2 more rooms which had the same problem and I told them these rooms were also unacceptable. I was then taken to the executive level where the rooms were considerbly nicer however the bedding quality was the same. I accepted the room because we were tired and didn't want to load up the car again which we should have done because we got no sleep that night. Stay away if you enjoy a nice bed as we checked a total of 5 rooms and couldn't find a comfortable bed. Staff became annoyed with me after I advised them of their bedding sittuation. Holiday Inn American Center has great beds, wonderful rooms, caring staff and is only a few miles away.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cxbonne
madcitymadman, General Manager - Jim Davis at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this review, 10 December 2009
Thank you for your review CXBONNE! I very much appreciate you taking the time to write about us. I am so sorry you did not like the comfort of our beds. Most comments we receive on the comfort of our mattresses is favorable and rave about the 7 layers of comfort and our unique sleep amenities.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Minnesota
Reviewed 22 November 2009

Came here for a football weekend. Based on the other reviews, I had higher expectations of this hotel. While the common areas are updated, my room was 1970s traditional, with banged up furniture. What I liked: nice staff, indoor pool (which I ddn't use, but the kids in it were having fun), free wi-fi, MacDonalds next door. What I didn't: restaurant (overpriced limited sunday "buffet" ), location (4-5 miles from Downtown/UW). Overall, it was merely adequate. There are hotels right around the freeway that offer better value in my opinion.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled solo
Thank you so much for your feedback roadwarriorMD, we take all comments very seriously and respond with action plans to remedy. We are in fact about 5 miles from the Stadium but offer free and ample parking. Most find our location close to the airport and Interstate system a value add. I was sorry to hear that you thought our food pricing was high. We have taken the price of our full american hot breakfast buffet including fresh cut fruit and beverages from $12.95 to $9.95 as a direct result of your constructive feedback. Once again thank you.
New England
Reviewed 22 October 2009

We were part of a reunion for four days with a closing dinner in one of the hotel function rooms. Very bad food. We had also eaten in the "Growler" bar and sent one dinner back, so salty it was inedible. We had heard Madison was a real "Foodie" town. Judging from the huge and famous farmers' market on Saturday, there are lots of people in that town who care about food. Unfortunately, the chef at the Crowne Plaza isn't one of them. We liked our room, and I was especially pleased to find that we could open the windows, very important to me.

To the person who commented on the "cheap" pillows - most of the high-end hotels are putting four to eight smaller pillows on beds now so you have a choice.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for your feedback Draller, it is greatly appreciated. I am so happy you loved the Hotel overall. The food in the Hotel has actually won some local awards and our banquet guests tell us over and over that we have the best hotel food in Madison? A local food critic visited us recently and rated us "excellent" in his newspaer column. Puzzling! Am so sorry to hear you didn't enjoy the food portion of your stay and would welcome you back to try us again to make that right.
Ohio
Reviewed 1 October 2009

Front desk curtious and helpful. Was in town for a college football game meeting friends and family at the hotel. Nice, clean pool. We had a nice room on the executive level which we enjoyed the happy hour and the wonderful breakfast the next morning. Beds were comfortable but pillows were a little short and skimpy. (We joked they were $5.00 pillows) So if the Crowne Plaza in Madison wanted to change one thing, invest in better pillows and linen to keep up with the other Crowne Plaza Hotels. Would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
CrownePlazaMadison, Director of Revenue-Sandy Tallman at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this review, 13 April 2010
Gonecuttinghair, Thank you for sharing your positive experience! I'm pleased to hear you were comfortable and enjoyed the benefits of our executive level rooms. We appreciate your recommendation and are working towards replacing our pillows. We look forward to your next visit!
Greensboro NC
Reviewed 23 September 2009

We spent four nights at the Crowne Plaza in east Madison. We checked out the many options and came up with a reasonable rate here, on the representation that it was recently renovated. We were very pleased with the room and the service. The room was attractive and comfortable. We also ordered a take out club sandwich from the restaurant and found it delicious and reasonable. The hotel is right across the street from East Town mall, which was a fun browse. It is about 5 miles out from the downtown area, but taking the bus (no. 6) was very convenient and cheap (2 bucks...one for seniors 60 or over). Madison is a fun town. Restaurants we liked: Paisan's downtown...long time favorite with great lake views from terrace outside seating; Old Fashioned....quintessential Wisconsin tavern with local food emphasis; Brocach downtown....happy hour puts premium single malt scotches on half price; State Street Brats...traditional sports bar with great sandwiches and beer choices; Great Dane pub downtown. Great walking town...liked Oldrich Botanical Garden. Loved watching a football game at U. of Wisconsin....wonderful band, which does a fifth quarter concert each game. Friendly people.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
CarolinaTrekkers, You are absolutely right--Madison is a fantastic city to visit with wonderful restaurants and plenty of sites to take in! We're so happy you chose to stay with us and appreciate you sharing your positive experience!
We do strive to stay competitive within the area as well as servicing you beyond your expectations!
Yes, our location is very convenient to everything in Madison, really just 10 minutes to all local sites and venues.
Next time you're in Madison take a tour of the WI State Capitol or visit Henry Vilas Zoo!
We look forward to your next visit to Madison!
ponchatoula, louisiana
Reviewed 23 August 2009

Every single employee we encountered here was friendly and helpful. The wait staff and bar staff at Growlers were, to a person, exceptional. Front desk staff were very helpful and genuinely nice. I really can't say enough good about the people who work here. The hotel itself was perfectly serviceable--not perfect, but very nice and very comfortable. Location is good--chain restaurants and shopping within walking distance, and you can take the bus (even the bus drivers were so nice and helpful) to State Street/downtown/local attractions. I was here for a business meeting, but came with my husband for a mini-vacation. This hotel was great for both. We enjoyed ourselves and would stay again. And the people were great!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
Wow dutton, thank you for your feedback! I'm so happy to hear that our employees exceeded your expectations! No surprise to me though, we truly do have the best employees in Madison!
I agree, we are very conveniently located to all sites and venues in Madison. I'm glad you had a chance to get out and enjoy all that Madison has to offer!
Again, thank you for sharing your comments, we look forward to your return visit to Madison!
Toronto
Reviewed 7 August 2009

1 night stopover. Nice treat for a few bucks more after staying at Super 8's, Microtel's etc. Front desk mgr (Gillian, Jillian?? forgive the spelling if you're reading this) upgraded me to the "executive floor" with complimentary breakfast. I'd give this hotel 5 stars just for her friendliness!! I travel extensively and rarely come across someone who is this genuinely nice and friendly. If I'm ever in the area, I'll be back!!
My only criticism is that rooms with 2 beds have doubles and not queens, making it a bit tight if more than 2 share the room.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family