“Happiness away from home!”

Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel Madison
Ranked #45 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Reviewed 17 December 2011

I stayed at the Howard Johnson for 4 days and 3 nights. Dec 12-15, 2011. There is nothing more comforting than being comfortable away from my own home. The staff is incredibly courteous and professional. They dress to impress in better words. The continental breakfast is like no other. The pool is AMAZING. The rooms are spacious and the beds are comfortable. I have no complaints about my stay. In fact, I am very pleased and will make sure to book my hotel stays with Howard Johnson from here on out. A++++

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Corissa U
Victoria W, Front Office Manager at Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2012

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feed back. This gives us a opportunity to give you the quality of service that you desreve. We would like all of our guest to have a great experience here at the Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel.

Reviewed 13 December 2011

After growing up and working in the hospitality industry my whole life i can say that the hotel is okay. The bar and restaurant is mediocre with okay service, but one thing that stood out above all was nothing negative but one of the best front desk agents i have ever had the privilage of working with. Victoria went above and beyond to make sure my stay went as good as possible. Even if it meamt delivering blankets herself late at night or recommending things to do, had it not been for the service i recieved from victoria i would have gladly checked out early. Overall the hotel is a great value in a great location with at least one absolutely outstanding front desk agent. I would highly recommemd this hotel and strongly encourage you to ask for victoria you will not be disappointed

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank Dukecrazii
Victoria W, Public Relations Manager at Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2012

Warmest Reguards the staff at Howard Johnson Plaza

Reviewed 9 December 2011

I booked 3 rooms for my family while I was in Europe and planned this as a reunion with my family as I moved back to Madison. This was suppose to be a wonderful place for all of us to visit and have fun for Thanksgiving and the night of Thanksgiving my mother was resting in her room and got a call from the front desk stating everyone has to go as there was no copy of ID from the purchaser of the rooms (the person that checked us in made a copy and all the rooms were already paid for). The lady that was working Thanksgiving evening 2011 was very rude when we went to the desk to take care of it. We were politely asking how we can take care of it and she insisted on an argument and called the cops. The police came and as I was talking to them they said this hotel is nutorious for having bad customer service and they said they always get bogus calls from this Hotel. The funny thing about it is the lady that was working claimed to be the Front Desk Manager! haha Anyway I should have listened to the reviews before booking with this very poorly ran Hotel. It completely ruined my Thanksgiving evening and same with my out-of-town guests. Do not stay at this hotel if you plan on enjoying it or being present. Even when i called to book the reservation 2 months prior, the lady that took my reservations was very unprofessional and seemed to dislike her job.

Room Tip: Do not talk to the staff if you stay there, it will ruin your time.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Butch S
Reviewed 6 November 2011

I typically don't write online reviews but my experience with this hotel was so BAD I want to spare other travelers from what I had to go through. It started with the loud noise and disruption that prevented any sleep from happening. The more I called the front desk to get assistance the more irritated and annoyed the staff sounded with me. Finally, they said they would take 1/2 off my bill. The following morning, the staff said they wouldn't reduce my bill because only a "manager" could do that. There was no manager on duty available and it took me 3 days and multiple phone calls to reach anyone on the management staff. When I finally did, I inquired why it took so long to talk to a member of management and I was given a lot of attitude and told they were busy and had a lot to do. Clearly, customer service and being curteous as a staff is NOT at the top of their priority list.

I was FINALLY able to get them to remove all charges from my bill not only for the miserable stay but on the basis that their staff was inaccessible and incredibly rude. There were also several items broken in my room and nobody bothered to write those concerns down or show any interest in getting them fixed for the next guest.

In all my years of staying in hotels I've never encountered anything like the service I received the weekend I stayed at this hotel. If your stay is not pleasant don't expect management to care or even be able to assist you. My best recommendation would be to look elsewhere for a place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank scrapper2
Reviewed 1 November 2011

I noticed the soiled carpet down the hallway going to my room. The next day others in our group stated they had roaches in their rooms and took photos to prove it. One guy remained positive and said he had more roaches in his room when he stayed in a hostel in Italy. However, we paid full price and should have had better accommodations than this. If you want to stay in a hotel that is dirty and has roaches, then this is the place for you!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 October 2011

I booked the hotel for the Madison Holiday Market, two weeks in advance. I was very specific about having a refrigerator and microwave. We do a food show and have to keep some our items cold over night. I was told by the manager Vanessa that it would not be a problem and we would have those in our room. I called 3 days before the event to add on another night and verify the fridge and microwave. She failed to put us in a room that had these and they were booked solid. There was nothing that they could do to accomodate us. She is now conveniently on vacation and unavailable to answer for her ineptness. We had to change hotels because of this. If you are planning to stay here and need something specific, I would book somewhere else. And on a lighter note, we were hoping to see "Mike" at breakfast since we had read so much about him.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank DeniseW_and_MarkT
Reviewed 1 October 2011

I stayed here for 3 nights a few weeks ago. For the price, it was much better than I expected. Sure, it was a little dated in some spots but the room was clean, the bed was comfortable, the bathroom was spotless and the beer in the hotel bar was ice cold and dirt cheap. I had decent service at the front desk and the bartender was very pleasant and professional. My only complaint would be about the floor show during breakfast - the antics of the attendant got old real fast. i would stay here again if I was in the area.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Vanessa B, Front Office Manager at Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2011

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feed back. This gives us a opportunity to give you the quality of service that desreve. We would like all of our guest to have a great experience here at the Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel.