“Great Value in Madison”

Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel Madison
Ranked #44 of 63 Hotels in Madison

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
St. Paul, MN
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Clean room. Very poor wifi signal in room. Excellent pool, hot tub, exercise room, arcade, pool table and bar. Breakfast was super. Scrambled eggs, sausage, French toast along with cereal, juices, milk, coffee.

Room Tip: Inquire about wifi strength in your room before you accept it if this is important.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Kyle M, Front Office Manager at Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Thank you for your kind review, we take pride in the customer service we are able to give to our guests, We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay! I will pass along the positive feedback with our staff, We appreciate all input! Thanks again for staying at the Howard Johnson Plaza! We hope to see you back in Madison real soon! We have just changed our service provider and we now have a free wireless high speed internet!

Warmest regards!

The staff at the Howard Johnson Plaza!
Portland, Or
Reviewed 23 October 2013

After a long drive from western Idaho, we checked in easily enough, and proceeded to get unpacked. When I was all done I went to make the bed the way I like it and found that the linens were dirty. I went and got new sheets from the front desk.
After I remade the bed myself, I went to set up my computer on the bedside table, I had to move it to get to the outlets on the wall, and under the table was a 1/2 drank soda bottle on the floor, and a couple handfulls of chips of various kinds scattered about as if this table had never been moved to be cleaned under.
Okay so I dealt with that mess, then went to open the window to see that the window sill were moldy and peeling.
My partner then said, "what does the bathroom look like?"
The tub was dirty with mildew and hair, both toilet paper rolls were nearly empty and there was no tissue.

The building itself was in disrepair! The room door was not hung properly so it made a horrible unsticking sound when you opened it. All over the hotel wall paper was peeling off the walls.
It gets better! On our way to the bar in the lobby; we saw mice.
The internet connection was crap because they never reboot there server or routers nor is their internet password encrypted.
Simple little things were poorly maintained too, the batteries in the remote were dead.
I understand that the breakfast buffet is complimentary, and not meant to be extravagant in any way. However, when trying too hard to save time vs cost, quality suffers. The breakfast buffet was really bad.
The service seemed to be a half hearted attempt at doing their job. They all seemed to be on their own agenda.
I expected way more out of HoJo. Considering this specific hotel is in a capital city, one would figure that they would put forth more of an effort to maintain a higher standard of quality.
I was highly disappointed in this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Thank you for your review of the Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel. Although this is an older property, we are continually making improvements on the overall appearance of the hotel. I will forward these concerns to our general manager to ensure everything gets handled accordingly, We are in the process of a remodel, we just received new beds for the whole hotel, new work out facility, and we also just re-updated our largest indoor pool in madison! And we also just changed our internet provider and now have a free high speed internet!

We do take pride in cleanliness and our friendly staff. Please accept this as an apology and we hope your experience doesn't deter you from staying at Howard Johnson Plaza in the future.

Warmest Regards,
The Staff at the Howard Johnson Plaza

Travellers are raving about these Madison hotels

Burnsville
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I came as part of a group show at the hotel. I learned afterward that there was both a group rate and that members of the group where lodged in the same wing. I was uninformed of this by staff upon my arrival and ended up in a different wing.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Warmest regards!

The staff at the Howard Johnson Plaza!