“nice rooms - bad bathrooms”

Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel Madison
Ranked #44 of 63 Hotels in Madison

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Madison
Reviewed 7 April 2014

At first I was given the key for room 207 while it came out that the room was locked from inside and then the front desk substituted 209 for 207. The breakfast was great but the there was a weird smell in the corridor. The room was OK. I just stayed there for one night so I have no idea about some other facilities.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Kyle M, Front Office Manager at Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Thank you for your kind review, we take pride in the customer service we are able to give to our guests, We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay! I will pass along the positive feedback with our staff! We appreciate all input! Thanks again for staying at the Howard Johnson Plaza! We hope to see you back in Madison soon!

Warmest regards!

The staff at the Howard Johnson Plaza
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I was a little skeptical at first. Found great deals online and stayed 2 nights for 75$ and under per night so wasn't expecting much. Was traveling because my fiance and myself both had job interviews in the area (and are on a tighter budget right now), so just needed a place to stay with the basics. I was very pleasantly surprised. The room was clean and nice. The pool area and little gym were both awesome amenities and kept very clean as well. And a free, REAL breakfast with eggs, breakfast meats, and some of the best breakfast potatoes i've had. Front desk was friendly and prompt with requests. Breakfast attendant (I think his name was Mike) was super friendly and upbeat. I know some other reviewers thought he was obnoxious. Not AT ALL! but you can't please them all and some will just be bitter for the sake of it. Liked that the hotel has free parking and is located next door to a large grocery store. Very convenient. Had to run there quick cuz I forgot hairspray.

Some cons- Hallways are a little dingy but you can also tell they are in the process of remodeling/rewallpapering. It is not representative of the quality of the rooms.

The biggest con- the Wireless DID NOT work in the room. I would have really liked to hang out in my jammies to do some interview prep but i had to go to the lobby instead. So would I stay here if I needed to be on my laptop for a good portion of the time?- No.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business

Warmest regards!

The staff at the Howard Johnson Plaza
Reviewed 6 April 2014

The Howard Johnson's motto is "we're happy that you're here," when in reality they could not care less. This facility has proven itself time and time again to be unsatisfactory no matter how many times I stay. The building and rooms are very clearly dirty, the room keys will deactivate if you leave for about 6 hours (no matter if it's by your cell phone or not, believe me i've tested this) but they are too lazy to replace/fix their system. Some of the staff are helpful and are generally sorry that you have these repetitive problems. They are so used to reactivating cards that it is a normal daily process to them. This shows how bad the problem with card access really is. You may think this is minor, but when you have to walk around the entire outside or inside of the building you become extremely annoyed (especially when it is a daily event.) The breakfast is the same every day and is very bland. Mike is one of the food service people though and he is genuinely the nicest/most optimistic person I have ever met. If you do decide to stay here for some reason, go to breakfast just to meet him, he'll remember you in turn. Just seeing him in the morning is enough to turn my day around. Wi-fi is an absolute joke at this hotel, if your room happens to be anywhere near the back of the building, you will not have any connection, period. You must come to the front lobby area for a chance to connect to their internet. Other issues that await you are specific to each room, such as a broken heater/air conditioner, a shower that is installed backwards and will not provide hot water to those who do not know its tricks, or garbage on the floor/under the bed that may be awaiting you from a previous guest. My experiences here have enstilled so much hatred that I have written this review as to save any innocent traveler from such an unpleasant experience. I never write reviews, but this place is the absolute worst and must be avoided unless all other options have been exhausted.

• Stayed April 2014
Thank you for your review of the Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel. Although this is an older property, we are continually making improvements on the overall appearance of the hotel. I will forward this to our manager, We do inspect every room before they are rented to ensure they are up to guests and HOJO Standards. We are in the process of a remodel, we just recieved new beds for the whole hotel, new work out facility, and we also just reupdated our largest indoor pool in madison! We also just finished upgrading our T.V's to Flatscreens! We do take pride in cleanliness and our friendly staff. Please accept this as an apology and we hope your experience doesn't deter you from staying at Howard Johnson Plaza in the future.

Warmest Reguards,
The Staff at the Howard Johnson Plaza

Travellers are raving about these Madison hotels