“Safe and good location not anything great.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel Madison

Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel Madison
Ranked #43 of 61 Hotels in Madison
East Lansing, Michigan
“Safe and good location not anything great.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Looking at the room I thought this will be great. My bed was really stiff and uncomfortable pillows sucked. The walls are paper thin so I heard people inside and outside really early. My shower seriously sounded like it was screaming high pitch(which I couldn't get to stop) and the temp goes cold to scaulding hot on its own.. I am super tired still and not overly pleased I thought they just fixed the placed but it seems like they just got new TVs. There is no book in the room like most hotels with the WiFi password, pool,fitness room breakfast or restaurant hours. The phone had no directions on how to call the front desk either.

• Stayed August 2014
      Cleanliness
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Kyle M, Front Office Manager at Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
we take pride in the customer service we are able to give to our guests, We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay! We are glad to hear you enjoyed all of our amenities we have to offer, I will pass along the positive feedback with our staff! and bring these concerns up with our General Manager to ensure everything gets handled accordingly, We appreciate all input! Thanks again for staying at the Howard Johnson Plaza! We hope to see you back in Madison soon!

The staff at the Howard Johnson Plaza

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Nashville, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

My pals at United Airlines put me up for the night last month at the Ho-Jo in Madison when their sorry excuse for airplane had an engine that wouldn't crank. We passengers were "assured" they'd tried everything including "jumper cables." Confidence building for sure!! The room was clean. I caught dinner at the grocery store next door. I had never seen a Hy-Vee. What a nice place with great food to eat-in or take away. I suggested to my wife that it was like Whole Foods for the common man. One reviewer recently said the Ho-Jo's neighborhood was sketchy - not true - I felt very safe.

Room Tip: 2nd floor addition rooms are good.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Kyle M, Front Office Manager at Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
we take pride in the customer service we are able to give to our guests, We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay! We are glad to hear you enjoyed all of our amenities we have to offer, I will pass along the positive feedback with our staff! We appreciate all input! Thanks again for staying at the Howard Johnson Plaza! We hope to see you back in Madison soon!

Winthrop Harbor, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

I've stayed at the Howard Johnson Madison several times and for the most part had a pleasant stay. No, it's not the Ritz but the rooms were clean, the pool area big and relaxing, and the breakfast a nice touch. I'm not a fussy person, I even feel a little awkward complaining about a budget hotel, but my last visit was unacceptable.
I recently stayed and I have to say this is the first time I've been disappointed. I stayed in the West wing and my room was badly in need of an update. The desk had huge and obvious ink, writing, and scorch marks all over it. The chair was stained and definitely seen better days. The toilet ran constantly and had large rust stains. The air conditioner would turn on for only 3 minutes tops, then shut off for a hour, making the room very hot. Lastly, the internet was iffy at best. Mostly it was too slow to even use at all.
This hotel needs to pay more attention to maintenance and upkeep. I'm not sure I would return.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EziliGede23
Kyle M, Front Office Manager at Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Thank you for your review of the Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel. Although this is an older property, we are continually making improvements on the overall appearance of the hotel. I will forward these concerns to our general manager to ensure everything gets handled accordingly, We are in the process of a remodel, we just received new beds for the whole hotel, new work out facility, and we also just re-updated our largest indoor pool in madison! And we also just changed our internet provider and now have a free high speed internet!

We do take pride in cleanliness and our friendly staff. Please accept this as an apology and we hope your experience doesn't deter you from staying at Howard Johnson Plaza in the future.

Jefferson, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

Got stuck in Madison, and needed a hotel for the night. For some reason, many of the other hotels on the east side were booked solid. Managed to catch an opening here. The neighborhood was "interesting" (in a bad way), the hallways all stunk of cigarette smoke, and the carpets were all dirty. The room itself was semi clean, but the light poured in around the door frame at night. Luckily my motorcycle was still there in the morning, and I headed out of town. There was a shooting near by the following night. On top of that, it wasn't cheap.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Doctor_Ratz
Kyle M, Front Office Manager at Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this review, 1 August 2014

At the Howard Johnson Plaza we aim for 100% guest satisfaction! All of our doors around our property stay locked 24/7 then the main entrance will get locked after a certain hour, and we do have security on property to ensure the building is quite and safe and secure.

Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

Thank you for your great service Kyle was busy and took care of all of us very efficiently missed the regular breakfast guy.The staff are always great.Ive seen that they have done some remodeling the hotel, love the Friday fish fry

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Kyle M, Front Office Manager at Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this review, 25 July 2014

Denver, CO
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

We stayed here for a quick night before our 5am flight. The hotel is clearly in need of a renovation but I wasn't going to complain because the park and fly rate was very good and the staff was very nice. Went to the bar and had drinks and dinner. The bartender was VERY nice.
Here are my complaints
1. There was mold in our shower
2. The bathroom sink was cracked, like when a rock hits your windshield and starts to splinter off, that's what it looked like. The whole sink was cracking
3. We were in some weird hallway very far away. After taking the elevator to the top and walking to the end of the hallway there was a sign saying more rooms were though a door. So we walked all the way down that hall. Found another sign and followed that to end of another hallway.
4.We were next to another door going to another hallway so all night long I heard the slam of this door. 2 am, 3am, 4am.
5. Hotel food was awful, I mean just awful. I wish I had not been exhausted and would have just gone anywhere else.
6. Our room smelled..
7. On the chair in the room, it was covered in stains. ew

Room Tip: I would ask for the first floor
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Kyle M, Front Office Manager at Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this review, 22 July 2014

Milton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

We stopped here on our way home from Wyoming for 2 days. This is a very nice hotel and they have a great pool area for visitors. It is an older hotel but the rooms were clean and we had no problem with noise. There is a game room next to the pool, an exercise room and laundry next to that. Was very convenient to sit and watch kids in pool while getting the laundry caught up. Internet was good, and all in all we had a nice stay. Breakfast was good, and the man running it was very friendly and entertaining. Would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank JoanneO489
Kyle M, Front Office Manager at Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this review, 10 July 2014