“In need of some serious updating - better alternatives in Madison”

Radisson Hotel Madison
Ranked #16 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Los Angeles, California
“In need of some serious updating - better alternatives in Madison”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2010

I have got to know quite a few hotels in the Madison area and this one is not that great. For a 3 star hotel, I have some serious reservations compared to other area hotel options. Overall, if you want a 3 star hotel, there are much better options in the Madison area.

First, let's start with some positives. I thought the staff were very pleasant and I even got to meet the manager upon checkin. He seemed nice and I am sure will respond appropriately given the fact that he regularly comments on user reviers. The bed is the kind where you can adjust the comfort level which is very nice. Also, the bedding was very nice and comfortable. Plus, they offer a free continental breakfast with basic options and also have free wireless internet access.

Now for the bad. The place is seriously rundown. When you first arrive, you will be shocked that this is even a 3 star in the first place. The parking lot is old and cracked. The building looks like it has never been updated. The landscaping is full of weeds and not kept up. Inside, the hallways have carpet that has bumps in it and could cause a tripping hazard. The rooms are need updating. The air conditioner is something one would expect in a Motel 6. Manual controls and placed directly next to the desk. Thus, if you are working at the desk, the air will blow directly on you. The couch looks like something my grandmother purchased in the '70s. The bathroom is significantly small and the exhaust vent made more noise than a semi truck. Worse, the fire door between the adjoining rooms provided a nice way to hear just about everything that happens in the room next door. So, if you like hearing your neighbors, this is the place to be.

Bottomline - this is an old hotel that needs a serious update to be considered in the same class as a Courtyard or Garden Inn. The fact that is considered a 3 star is quite alarming. I would say this hotel is a 2 maybe 2.5, but not in the same category as a other 3 star hotels.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
RadManager, Front Office Manager at Radisson Hotel Madison, responded to this review, 15 August 2010
Thank you for the great comments regarding our staff, and the comfort of the bed! Because of reviews from our guests, we now offer a complimentary hot breakfast for all our guests, and I am pleased that you had the opportunity to try it! We are proud to offer many competitive amenities to our business and leisure guests!

I take your remarks seriously, as we continue our efforts to improve the quality of our service and amenities. I must compliment your timing, as we are currently undertaking a few remodeling projects over the next several months, which will remedy most of the concerns you mentioned. It is obvious that you have put a lot of time and thought into what you wrote, and I am grateful for your comments. I hope you will stay with us again, as we will use your feedback to make your next visit more memorable!

Best Regards, Brendan Eichsteadt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Cypress, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2010

Picked this hotel solely on location due to a trip with very tight time restraints. Had this been a longer term stay, there were a few highly rated hotels and B&B's that would have been in play.

I had read the reviews both pro and con but I felt it was a decent place to stay overnight and I was certainly not disappointed. The staff were all very nice and the room left no room for any complaint. Walking around, there were a few places where the carpet was wrinkled or some scuff marks from luggage, etc. But this would be expected since after all, they let people stay there.

The room included a Continental Breakfast buffet, which by definition is sweet rolls, juice, coffee, etc. However in addition, scrambled eggs, hash browns and sausage were provided. I used the exercise room and the computer room, which were both adequate.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
RadManager, Front Office Manager at Radisson Hotel Madison, responded to this review, 31 July 2010
It was our pleasure to accommodate you during your visit to Madison, Wisconsin! Thank you for your wonderful remarks, which I have shared with our staff. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best Regards,
Brendan Eichsteadt
new jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2010

Good location- across from mall and restaurants. Near highway. Room immaculate

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Roswell GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2010

The rooms were very clean, the beds (sleep number) very comfortable with nice linens. The staff "oh-my-god-so-friendly" and professional. If you have ever endured some of those desk people who treat you like you disturbed them, you know how valuable friendly customer service can be. A smaller property (2 floors) the halls are quiet. All this and you get a FULL breakfast! Hot entrees with the cold selections but even better...a few fruit choices too! Coffee tastes good, too. You eat in the restaurant with PLENTY of tables and space around the tables. A refreshing break from the lobby continental breakfasts with people waiting over your shoulder like vultures for a place to sit. ALL of this and it was under $90 a night. We were traveling in from GA and ready for just a place to crash and found the Radisson. I feel so lucky, I'm going to go out and buy a lottery ticket today. A business woman who does her share of traveling during the regular week, I can with confidence say this is definitely a place to stay for business too!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Madison, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2010

my current stay was ok the hotel didn't offer me any thing great or totally unexpected it is a good hotel not a great hotel

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
Athens, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2010

This hotel was a big disappointment. I stayed here for 2 nights and moved to a different hotel for the third night. This hotel (and my room in particular) is directly on the highway, so there is a fair amount of road noise for some rooms. It seemed to me like the staff just wasn't interested in maintaining the hotel properly. I had several burnt-out bulbs in my room, the floor had holes underneath the carpet (I could feel them with my feet), the alarm clock and bedside lamp weren't plugged in (perhaps to plug in the Sleep Number bed), and the TV cabinet was missing some hardware. My toilet didn't work properly. There were a lot of small details that really showed the sub-par maintenance of the place. Free internet was nice and the hot breakfast was decent. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
I value your business and comments. We welcome constructive criticism as it helps us get better. Please accept my sincere apologies, on behalf of my staff, for the concerns you have shared with us. I have shared your feedback with our maintenance and houskeeping departments, who have assured me that appropriate action will be taken so these issues will not occur again.

Brendan Eichsteadt
Skokie, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2010

I have stayed here on business many times over the past few years. The MAD-RAD is close to so many things -- restaurants, shopping, and the Beltline. While it is not the most upscale hotel, it is reasonably priced, offers various services, and is quite comfortable for me.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business