“No one was injured including the thugs”

Red Roof Inn Madison
Ranked #55 of 63 Hotels in Madison
chicagoland
“No one was injured including the thugs”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I woke up in the middle of the night to the sound of our car outside being destroyed by two people wearing hoods. They used two large rocks and proceeded to carve swirling lines all across the the front and back of the car. The back window was smashed out and the front windshield was smashed. The lady at the front desk was less than alarmed. Four other men stopped by and examined the car about 1/2 hour later which leads me to think that it might have been gang initiation. The Madison police were less than helpful and questioned if I had done anything to provoke the youths. I told him I was asleep at the time but it didn't seem to make much difference to him. My 8yr old son had nightmares for weeks. I would not stay here or anywhere close to here.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank jkirk0
stevo608, Manager at Red Roof Inn Madison, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear jkirk0,
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us at the Madison Red Roof. I see from your comments you were here one year ago in August.
I am sorry your vehicle was damaged. We want you to know that we take all incidents very seriously and when issues arise we work very closely with our local police department.
Our location of the hotel is very convenient for our travelers. Its location is convenient to restaurants, shops, highway access and our neighborhood has several other hotels and apartment complexes nearby. Again, we are sorry for any inconveniences caused during your stay with us in 2013 and hope you will consider us again in the future.
Steve Marsceau

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Marion, Iowa
Reviewed 22 July 2014

clean with no amenities. priced well. easy access to air, freeway, downtown/malls. it was not a fancy place, but it was full. the lack of extras was not a factor. We were travelling and going to an event. If you just want to sleep and leave, this is a good value.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
stevo608, Manager at Red Roof Inn Madison, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear danmoore_11
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us in June. We are pleased to hear you had a comfortable stay with us. We hope your travels to the event went well.
We will share your comments with our staff as they appreciate good comments from our guests.
We hope to see you again when traveling through the Madison area.
Thank you again for your comments.
Sincerely
Red Roof Inn, Madison, WI
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Not a safe place to be...lots of police contact here over the years. Make sure you don't get a room on the back side of the building. There is a lot of in and out traffic. The location is good for dining and access to interstate.

Room Tip: Don't get a room on the back side of the building
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank dawnomj
stevo608, Manager at Red Roof Inn Madison, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us in Madison. We usually have the back of the building held for a lot of our construction crews. Since they are up early for work we try to make is less of a disturbance to our other guests.
Yes we do also have many restaurants in the area. Perkins is actually across the street making it convenient for breakfast or a late meal.
Thank you again for your comments.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 11 April 2014

After reading the reviews and seeing the pictures, I decided to book a reservation as we were looking for a decent, affordable hotels. After countless hours of traveling we arrived to the hotel only to find questionable people walking around and a rugged looking hotel. My kid and I were nervous so we told the front desk agent that we don't feel comfortable staying. The front desk person rudely stated that "she will cancel our reservation and we were never welcome back at Red Roof Inn again." That was our sign to leave and never return to this hotel chain again. False pictures + rude staff = a long night for me and my family 13 hours away from home.

• Stayed April 2014
stevo608, Manager at Red Roof Inn Madison, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Thank you for your comments regarding your arrival to the hotel. I am sorry you felt unsafe at our property. This past weekend was very busy with the Midwest Horse Fair in town. You mentioned in your comments that the pictures were not our hotel. The 7 pictures posted are actually our property. I am sorry you felt they were not. As for the exterior, we did have a very hard winter and several of the doors had the paint peal off from the extreme sub zero weather in our area. These will be painted as soon as the weather permits us to start outside painting.

I am sorry the desk person seamed rude. I will be speaking with them to ensure they always are positive, even when a guest is requesting to cancel a reservation.

We do have several construction crews working in the area this month and staying with us. Our staff does walk arounds throughout the evening to ensure guests are not disturbing others. Again, I am sorry for any inconveniences caused during your stay.

Thank you again for your comments and I hope you would consider staying with us in the future.

Red Roof Inn Madison, WI
Decorah, Iowa
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Stayed there for the wrestling tourney. Clean room. I like the entrance of rooms from the ground floor and outside. I needed to keep my kayak in the room the day that I left and they let me keep it in the room until 5 PM ...... with no additional charges.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
stevo608, Manager at Red Roof Inn Madison, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us here in Madison, Wisconsin. We're glad you like the convenience of our exterior doors. Many of our guests like the convenience to their rooms. I'm pleased the staff extended a late check out for you on Sunday and that you did not need to travel around the city for the tournaments with your kayak on top of your vehicle.
I will share your comments with our staff as they do enjoy hearing positive comments when a job is well done. We look forward to having you stay with us again when traveling in our area.

Red Roof Inn - Madison, WI
New Ulm, MN
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Checked into the Red Roof Inn and the first room, although labeled "non-smoking" obviously wasn't. Front desk was accommodating and put us in another room which was better. Positives about this motel - free (and pretty fast) wifi connection, close to the Interstate we were traveling on, flat screen TV, gave a 10% off coupon to the nearby Texas Roadhouse (which was excellent) and two weary travelers slept well. Wish I could stop there! Negatives - it is a bare-bones motel -- no pool, no breakfast, no hairdryer, no in-room coffee (there was coffee in the lobby though), no microwave or fridge. The rug needed a good cleaning and cigarette burn in the bedspread, . But the biggest disappointment - we booked 2 nights and left for a meeting at noon. Returned at 10 to find our room had not been serviced at all. Complained at the front desk and they said they were sorry and would check into it, but we expect better service when we check into a motel. We travel to Madison often and will choose someplace else next time.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
stevo608, Manager at Red Roof Inn Madison, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us in Madison, WI. We appreciate your comments both good and not so good. I am pleased about the positives you commented on during your stay, The Wi-Fi, flat screens, and discounts near by. I am sorry about the negatives. We are a smoke free motel, and we continually work on the property when guests violate the Wisconsin Act 12 smoking ban. I have been working with housekeeping and maintenance to address this issue. We have been using some new procedures that are helping us to control the smoke odors. You mentioned not in room coffee, micro/fridges. Our Superior King rooms do offer in room coffee, micro/fridges, hair dryers, and irons/boards with a larger work area. This past week we have also introduced our Deluxe double rooms that now have a micro/fridge in them. I hope when you travel again to the Madison area you will consider trying us to see that we are continually working to improve our property. Thank you again for your comments.
Red Roof Inn - Madison, WI
i0052@redroof.com
Merritt Island, Florida
Reviewed 7 October 2013 via mobile

Check in was easy. The price a little high for such a basic room, but there was an expo in town, perhaps it's not always as high. It definitely shouldn't be, the room was awful!!!

Wisconsin state law says 'No Smoking ' in any hotel since 2010, but the smell of stale smoke hit us when we walked in. Gave me a horrible taste in my mouth all night. We opened the window but it didn't help. I woke up with a tight chest, I can't stand smoking. All our clothes smelt of it when we left. You should ask for a room that was previously a non smoking room before the law change. That is if you even bother staying here. I would not recommend it.

There are no fridges or microwaves in the 2 bed rooms. Only in the King rooms. No good if you are traveling with kids.

The carpet looked new, it had a flat screen TV and comfortable beds. Not sure if the comforters had been changed though, there was old food and odd looking stains on them. We used our sleeping bags! There was rice and old food covered on and in the air conditioner.

The bathroom was very small but clean. It had a separate sink area that was well lit.

The WiFi is free, but wasn't great. Had to keep resetting it. Very annoying.

There was no manager available to talk to about the smoke smell and the dirty bedding. We just hurried up and left in the morning. Very disappointing stay overall. We would not return.

No breakfast available. There is good coffee though.

Best thing about this place is pets stay free.

I suggest checking other motels in the area. You will probably get a cleaner room that is more comfortable.

A smile would be nice when dealing with the front desk staff.

• Stayed October 2013
stevo608, Manager at Red Roof Inn Madison, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us. I was pleased to see there were some positive parts of your stay. I am sorry about the odor in your guest room. The Wisconsin Act 12 smoking ban has been in effect since 2010. We still have guests that violate this law. And I am sorry. I am currently working with our housekeeping staff more to be sure they are reporting when guests smoke so our maintenance department can address it before new guests arrive. I am also working with them to ensure they are properly changing duvets so all are rooms are fresh and clean, as our guests expect them to be.
Again, I am sorry and hope you will try us again so you can see first hand the issues have been addressed.
Red Roof Inn Madison, WI