“Worst Hotel in Madison. Filthy and Smelly.”

Motel 6 Madison North
Ranked #60 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Reviewed 30 August 2009

We booked a room here when first visiting Madison. Upon entering the room smelled like cheap toxic chemical fumes. There were literally DOZENS of dead flies inbetween the storm window and window, and the sheets and carpet were filthy. We sat in the room horrified for about 10 minutes, and then my wife got an asthma attack. The front desk was accommodating enough and refunded our stay due to the health risk. But be forewarned that this is still ingrained in my mind as the worst hotel I've ever entered. There are literally a dozen hotels within walking distance of East Town Mall, choose one of those.

• Stayed: April 2006, travelled on business
1  Thank miasm
m61173bo, Manager at Motel 6 Madison North, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2010

That manager has been replaced- new manager since September 14, 2009

Reviewed 2 August 2009

I can understand old, but not dirty and unkept. The pool was ok and I enjoyed my swim. The room, however, was something else. The carpet was stained, very worn, and/or not cleaned. Also, dirt had accumulated on the carpet where it meets the walls. Paint was chipping around the ceiling. The bathroom had some mold on the ceilng and spiderwebs by the door. The motel advertises that it has internet access, but when I went to use it, (with a pre-purchased Motel 6 access card) I was told that ony 25% percent of the rooms have access and that the room I was in was not one of them. I queried about getting a room with internet access. The front office staff person was short and not forthcoming with information. He mostly kept repeating that the room I was in did not have access. Then, I found the hair of someone else in the bed. Upon each discovery, I asked myself why I didn't leave and I weighed my tiredness against looking for another hotel room. In the future, I will look a little more closely before accepting a room. I would sleep in my car before staying in this motel again.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank MelindaMN
m61173bo, mana at Motel 6 Madison North, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2010

manager replaced

Reviewed 14 May 2009

Yes, the price is cheap but you truly get what you pay for! This place is a DUMP. The common areas are beat up, the carpet just about everywhere is FILTHY dirty. I didn't even take my sox off while in the room. I was scared to open the bed but the linens were clean.
The bathroom is old but at least it was clean. I could hear the toilets of other rooms all night long. And, I could hear just about everything that went on in the rooms next to me, even if I didn't speak the language. I was going to use the pool but if they don't take care of other areas is it safe to swim in the pool? It was tiny and needed some cleaning. Do yourself a favor and take a pass on this place.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple

new management-cleanliness has improved

Reviewed 9 March 2008

We stayed at this motel twice, once in August 2006 and once in June 2007. Both times we were going to Wisconsin Dells, about a 45 minute drive away (and where similar motels cost twice or three times as much). On our first trip, the motel was over booked and they put us up on our first night in the near-by (and better quality) Red Roof Inn and gave us a one night free voucher. When we returned for our second (free) night, the woman at the front desk checked us into a room with a single bed (there were four of us). After a day at the Dells, it was a little annoying. She promptly fixed the problem and we got a room with two double beds. Interestingly, we were never charged for our one-night stay at the Red Roof Inn, so we ended up getting both nights free. Our second visit to this motel in June 2007 was uneventful and rather unremarkable. This property is a generic, slightly below average Motel 6. Nothing dirty or dingy about it, but I have stayed in at better Motel 6 properties, which is why I only give it a 2 rating. If you're in the area and a need a cheap place to sleep and shower, this will do you just fine.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
m61173bo, manager at Motel 6 Madison North, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2010

that manager is long gone

Reviewed 30 January 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Motel 6 for just one night due to a snow storm. I must say we paid a bargain rate for our room. $47 with tax. Can't beat the price. The facility can best be described a minimal. The room was the barest room I have ever stayed in. Two beds and a shelf between them and a television set on a small desk. I noticed a sign at the front desk that hair dryers, alarm clocks and an ironing board could be gotten at the front desk with a security deposit required for their use. I knew then not to expect great things. The room was clean enough to stay in buy certainly not to the standards I would like. The carpet was not the cleanest and the linens again were barely adequate. I guess the Motel 6 considers a box of tissue to be a luxury item, as there was not one provided in the room (maybe I could have rented one from the front desk.) I would not stay here again but if you find yourself in a snowstorm, give it a try just don't expect too much.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 December 2007

Stayed 4 days. Sink drain plugged first night and they never fixed it. Car in lot with all tires flattened. Security guard going down hallway knocking on everyone's door and shouting to people to turn TV down (duhhh..--made more noise than the TV). Front desk staff rude. Seedy clientele. Last time I will stay there.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank chmww
Reviewed 26 February 2007

Motel 6 at its best is nothing to write home about, but generally you can count on the rooms to be clean and adequate. This location, on Washington, in Madison, was another story altogether. They seem to cater to a "sketchy" clientele, who were roaming the halls at all hours, and the overall vibe of the place was more like a detention center than a place to stay in with your family. I got the feeling that this was another chain's hotel that was abandoned and re-claimed and re-named by Motel 6, as the rooms were not of the standard Motel 6 size and format. I found it very depressing and not particularly clean. You will have to keep your key card handy as there are a lot of doors to pass through before you arrive at your room. On the plus side, there is an indoor pool. Most of the vending machines were out of order.

• Stayed: February 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

manager long gone from here- current one in place since September 14, 2009