“Worst Hotel Experience in Years”

Sheraton Madison Hotel
Ranked #23 of 63 Hotels in Madison
GreenLeadersBronze level
Katy, Texas
“Worst Hotel Experience in Years”
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel is an absolute nightmare. We were there for a wedding. The family had blocked rooms. Our room was on the supposed "elite" floor. First off, there is only one elevator to this floor. It is extremely slow, and it had to be taken into account for events. The room was a nice size, but the cleaning service never came. We ran out of toilet paper, and we had to call four times to get a new roll. The hotel walls are paper thin, which is a noise pollution problem. The staff is rather incompetent and always has a new or different story. The room key would not work on six different occasions, which resulted on a trek to the front desk. The location is not ideal. It is near a noisy train track. It is on the outskirts of Madison, and it takes a long time to arrive at any downtown location. Overall, the experience was negative.

The few pros: the shuttle was nice and the driver was extremely kind/accommodating. The woman in the hotel suite hospitality room was fabulous. The breakfast in the restaurant was healthy, tasty, and had a great staff.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Kellykeys1
Lisa W, General Manager at Sheraton Madison Hotel, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay with us. I sincerely apologize that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. I will be sure to use your comments as a learing experience with our staff, and we will work to ensure this does not happen again. We hope you will choose to stay with us again if you visit Madison in the near future.

Lisa Watts

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I really liked this property. Nice location, convenient to downtown, free shuttle service, nice pool, workout room, bar, and restaurant. Comfortable bed. Even the view from the room was pleasant. I was originally only staying one night but I enjoyed it so much here that I extended my stay by a day - and the staff was very helpful with this even though I was using points for my stay. If I ever go back to Madison this will be my go-to spot.

Room Tip: I was on a fairly high floor and it had a nice view - so I would try for a higher floor if available...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Thank you for a wonderful review! I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much, that you extended your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again during your next visit to Madison.

San Jose, California
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Exhausted, I was put into a room over the lobby, which had loud music from the Entry playing all night. In the morning, after 3 hours of sleep, I asked for a quieter room and made arrangements to move when i returned at 6 pm.

Surprise, at 6 pm no one knew anything. The manager behind the door forced the nice young man trying to help me to put me into a room he was clearly protesting....next to the loud entry door to the floor, and backing the ballroom where they are having a huge party tonight. They are so sorry. I have never had such noise problems at a Sheraton, however, this is not actually a Sheraton...it is a privately owned. old hotel that pays for the use of the name. Ripped wall paper, dirty bathroom ceilings, no working outlets in the room, employees playing loud music over the loud speakers at 2 and 3 am, and clearly no regard for a 20 year SPG member.

Nary a pair of earplugs to be offered, just oh, so sorry. What is the logic to putting a very tired guest seeking quite into the loudest room, when clearly, at 6 pm, they have not checked in full for the night. All I wanted was to catch up on the desperately needed sleep I lost last night.

So long SPG.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Lisa W, General Manager at Sheraton Madison Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay with us. I would like to sincerely apologize for your stay not meeting your expectations. I will be sure to share your comments during our next staff meeting to ensure this does not hapen again. We hope during your next visit to Madison, you will choose to give us another chance.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I was surprised by this property given my success with Sheraton properties in the past. And, keep in mind I was in a "suite"!
The property is tired. It is off the freeway and not convenient to downtown attractions. It is nicely located by a lake but its distractions take away from this amenity.
The eighth floor suite is above seventh floor Club Room. An inconvenience because one elevator serves eighth floor and more often than not you have to go down to one to get to Club Room on seven.
Rooms have in room heating and cooling units that keep running all night if you want ideal cooling. It sounds like a plane in your room. Noise from very busy street come right up front of building to add additional noise that will keep you awake.
Service personnel were the highlight. Otherwise I would give this property a lower rating.
Food is ok but cafe and bar are average.

Room Tip: back of hotel
Green Features: do not clean rooms if they can avoid it. They try to be environmentally friendly
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share you feedback from your recent stay with us. I am happy to hear you found our customer service memorable. I do apologize that your guest room did not meet your expectations. I will be sure to share your comments with our department managers. We hope you will choose to stay with us again during your next visit to Madison.

Central Wisconsin
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here one night and had a really comfortable stay. The Beds were like sleeping on a cloud - one of the better nights sleep I've ever had at a hotel. Didn't take advantage of the amenities like room service, gym or pool but the property looks nice. I Found this gem for $63 on Hot wire! Normal rate is about twice that I believe.

Stayed June 2014
Lisa W, General Manager at Sheraton Madison Hotel, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Thank you for a great review! We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and that you found your guest room comfortable. We hope to see you again in the near future.

La Crosse, Wisconsin
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We had our wedding here on June 28th. Lauren and the rest of the event staff went above and beyond to make sure we had a really enjoyable stay and a fantastic wedding. We met with her the day before our wedding to give her everything for the reception. No set up or take down was done by anyone in our wedding party - they took care of it all. The food was amazing, the staff was awesome, and the rooms were great! We got a little gift in our room for our wedding night, which was a nice touch. Breakfast the next day was not included but tasted great. Overall we had an awesome wedding, not in small part to Lauren and the Sheraton staff! We'd stay here again in a heart beat.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Lisa W, General Manager at Sheraton Madison Hotel, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Congratulations on your wedding! We are delighted that we were a part of your special day. I will be sure to share your compliments with Lauren and our banquets departments, and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

De Pere, Wisconsin
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We stayed in this hotel based upon the higher rating vs other hotels in the area. The front desk as well as all of the employees were very welcoming. The rooms however, were somewhat of a disappointment based upon the rating. The room was updated, but appeared to be a case of 'slapping lipstick on a pig'. The ceilings had cracks, the plaster was all gooped/caked up where the walls meet the ceilings - giving the appearance of being unclean. The bathroom drop ceiling frames were rusted and the door frames were in bad need of being repaired and painted. The lightling was poor. The tub appeared to be clean, but the old tile and old grout also gave the appearance of something less deireable to bathe in. The staff was extremely pleasant. The location showed pictures of the capitol, but the hotel is no where near the capitol, so if you want to be down town, just be leery, that it is a short drive away. They do offer a shuttle service to some of the local establishments down town. Not a bad place to stay, but not worthy of a rating greater than 3 stars.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay with us. I am pleased that our customer service was memorable to you. I do apologize that your guest room did not meet your expecations. I will be sure to share your comments during our next departmental meeting. We hope that you will choose to stay with us during your next trip to Madison.