“Barking MAD”

Super 8 Madison South
Ranked #14 of 63 Hotels in Madison

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We stayed at this hotel for the weekend while in Madison to attend the UW Badger football game. The hotel is a 10 minute cab ride from the campus/capitol. This makes is a good alternative for those who either want to save a few bucks or when the capitol hotels are booked up. There are a number of restaurant options within walking distance and couple bars as well.

This Super 8 was a little nicer than I expected it to be. The lobby/breakfast was modern, spacious and clean. The young gentlemen, Alan, that checked me in was very friendly and informative, despite the fact that he had just had a scary encounter with someone trying to pass counterfeit bills. He made me aware of the 10% discount available to hotel guests at the nearby Perkins and provided phone numbers for the local cab companies that we would need the next day.

The hotel has an elevator which was a welcome suprise with our room being on the 2nd floor. The room was pretty standard. Two queens beds, which were comfortable enough. Some of the rooms have the updated linens shown in pictures here, but this room did not have those yet. Water pressure in the shower was a little weak.

The television was a large flat screen. Many of the cable channels were not available and showing an error. The mini fridge worked great. The free in room wi-fi worked well and could be accessed without a password. I was pleased to see that more than one network was available to guests to avoid problems that can come when a hotel full of people are all trying to access the web through a single router.

Breakfast was a simple continental set up. There was a waffle making station, coffee, juice, toast, cereal, fruit, cinamon buns and hard boiled eggs. We did not use the pool or work out facilities.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Super8-MadisonSouth, General Manager at Super 8 Madison South, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Thank you for staying with us recently and for completing your detailed review. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay. I apologize that you experienced a problem with your television programming. We have since resolved this issue. We hope to see you again soon.
Reviewed 11 October 2013 via mobile

We were just passing through and needed a place to stay. They were very accommodating and the place was clean and comfortable at a very reasonable price! We were very happy with our experience here and would definitely recommend it to others!

Stayed July 2013
Thank you for staying with the Super 8 - Madison South and for taking the time to complete a guest review. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our hotel and we look forward to providing for your lodging needs the next time you are passing through Madison, WI.
Reedsburg
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Terrible, next time will pay more money to stay somewhere else. Awful accessibility for my husband in a wheelchair. Terrible furniture, barely enough space for his wheelchair to get between the bed and TV stand. Very uncomfortable, 1 desk chair and 1 hard old broken recliner. Must say bathroom was amazing for handicap people, that and the gentleman that checked me in were the only good things about this stay. I told them when I booked the room my husband was having surgery and he was in a wheelchair, you would think they would have put a little more thought into our room. NEVER STAYING AGAIN.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Super 8

Thank you for your candid comments regarding your stay. I apologize that your room did not meet your needs. Our goal is to continually improve upon our hotel to provide a consistent great experience for all of our guests. We are noting your comments for future remodeling plans. We hope that you will give our hotel another chance in the future.
Racine, Wisconsin
Reviewed 8 October 2013

This hotel was a lot nicer than I was expecting. The exits close to Fish Hatchery aren't known for having great hotels but this one is definitely better than those. The rooms were large and clean, the pool area was pretty big and there was even a fitness center. Good location, close to where we were having our event. I would recommend and stay again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your business and for writing your review. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your experience with our hotel and look forward to seeing you again soon.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Good basic hotel. Updated and clean. BUT - You can hear all your neighbors coming and going by the slamming of the doors. The walls felt like they were shaking. I tried my own door and there really is no way of closing those doors quietly. Other Super 8s I have stayed at had the same problem. Breakfast is the standard but not enough seating. Had to take my breakfast back to my room. Very convenient to UW campus.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in a room as far away from the elevator, ice machine and housekeeping room as possible...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Thank you for staying with us recently and for bringing your issue to our attention. I am sorry to hear that the noise of the doors closing caused you discomfort. I have alerted my maintenance staff to this problem and they have taken the appropriate actions to minimize the noise associated with closing the doors. We hope to be able to serve your lodging needs in the future.